Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

Hi Gareth.J. and All

When I ran both chargers to test them the large one would show the fully charged green light but then the smaller one on the same battery would continue charging, I heard recently that it's a fairly common fault and it is seven years old so I don't mind binning it.

I think the flame's a good look Whittie said that was small compared to some when I was driving, don't know why the driver should make a difference, maybe I back off sooner so there's more un-burned fuel in the system when it ignites.

After the RAC event we did a No Limits event at Wannas, the car was double entered for Tuss to have a drive but he was unable to attend at the last moment so rather than waste the entry I got a drive.  After the RAC experience we decided to take two cars just incase a tow home was needed, we arrived about 5.00pm changed wheels and did the scrutiny thin then were good to go.

P1013322_zpsqh7kim5a.jpg

P1013323_zpsuy0hjrf0.jpg

The little bit of fluff you can see by the rear tow hook is Whittie's latest gadget for his gopro, yes it's a microphone just so you can hear the exhaust a bit better.

P2013519_zpsmvw0bika.jpg

The event today took in both the long and short tracks with the long first, there was a good mix of cars from stock road going ones to full blown race cars, entries are limited so you're guaranteed to get plenty of runs as people drop out like I did after looping it on the short track, first time in the Zed and first time for twelve years, clearly I've not been pushing hard enough.

P1013325_zpsupzip5qr.jpg

P1013326_zpsyhive5kb.jpg

P1013329_zpshitcexq8.jpg

P1013327_zpsqw4ioi0w.jpg

Here's a vid of Whittie on the long track in daylight.

Here I loop it on the short track, I pinched a brake on the way into the hairpin and was a passenger from then on.

The event went pretty much without incident but the car was idling rather roughly and we found the linkages slightly out with the front carby being fed more than the others so we adjusted that which made only a slight difference, I found the car to be good under load but Whittie complained about it breaking down at high revs and he said it has a new rattle, I figured that while it was still going those issues could wait for another day, this is a sign we've been having fun.

P1013331_zpsxnqan27p.jpg

A few days later I put it up on the jack stands and went straight to the rear gear box mount which has comprehensively failed so is touching the gear box housing again causing the rattle Whittie heard.  I decided that given both the time of year the fact that Whittie is off again in a couple of weeks, a patch up would do for now.

P2013348_zpsy2fjcabc.jpg

P2013349_zpsuj7c8uqq.jpg

P2013350_zpscabc4mio.jpg

The idle hasn't improved and it's as if compression is down in one cylinder, I re adjusted the carby linkages properly to eliminate that as a cause and then considered doing a wet and dry compression test thinking that I had possibly set a valve clearance too close, when I removed the plugs they were their normal rich looking selves (we run Bosch Super4 plugs) so I gave them a clean and refitted them but that made no difference then it dawned on me that they're about eight years old and as good as they are they're not going to last forever so I fitted the original near new NGKs and that made all the difference, it's purring (sort off) once again, we do have another new set of the Bosch plugs but I'm going to leave the NGKs in for a while to see if there's a noticeable difference in performance.

P2013523_zpsx6ljyaqy.jpg

P2013522_zpssathqabd.jpg

That brings me to our tyres, I'm really impressed with how evenly they've worn over the last two events so I'm thinking the suspension settings are just about right although I'd like to try a bit more neg camber on the rear, I doubt it will get any more caster on the front because it's quite heavy enough to steer as it is.  We are currently running a set of aged Dunlops which probably passed their prime while they were still on the shelf but they were not expensive, we didn't want to waste money on a good set of tyres knowing that the car would spend much of it's time sitting idle awaiting Whitties return  so they are what they are it just means we're not currently seeing the times we feel are in the car.  Whitties goal time is 68sec on the long track and given that he did 70.45 first time out when he briefly held the lap record for the speed event series on a worn out set of Yokis that John Fowler removed from his 911 Porker, we're confident that with a bit more tweaking and plenty of seat time it's doable but talking about it is the easy part, we'll have to wait and see what happens when Whittie returns.

Here are the front tyres as they came off after No Limits, when they're cold they're rock hard like taxi tyres, you can clearly see the aging in the tread grooves.

P2013510_zpsp65ovlmz.jpg

P2013511_zpshcis6nqq.jpg

P2013512_zpsgxuxljoa.jpg

Rears as they came off.

P2013514_zpstph7as5w.jpg

P2013515_zpsf6skzjfp.jpg

P2013513_zpsn30yunyy.jpg

So with the car good to go for the WhoopAss Wednesday drags all that's left to do is a little detailing.

P2013501_zpsohd7qsyi.jpg

P2013517_zps8gkzkjyq.jpg

Cheers

Dad

Edited by TT Aero, 03 January 2016 - 02:55 PM.

• hmd likes this

#722 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:03 AM

13.989 yew!

#723 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

WOW that sounds nice ^-^

#724 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:58 PM

+1 sounds great and didn't see the car in the other lane :)

#725 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

Thanks gents.

S15 Silvia with an sr20 turbo that ran a 14.3.

Are there any threads going that track quarter mile times and miss, went for a brief look but came up stumps on my phone.

#726 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:04 AM

Hi All

This is the last of three events while Whittie is briefly back in town and this time I'm on shaky camera duty.

Full of nervous anticipation we got to the track early so after scrutiny we were ready to go with the other early birds.

P2013610_zpsexekih9e.jpg

The car didn't go unnoticed for long.

P2013613_zpsiponh0f1.jpg

Then it was time for action.

P2013614_zpshczs4rnj.jpg

I love this one, 150kmh third gear tyre warming.

Cheers

Dad

Edited by TT Aero, 03 January 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#727 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

Hi All

Whittie's usually the one who posts vid but he's currently a bit busy doing the friend/family catch ups so has left it to me, it's taken me a while to get my head around editing and uploading but I think I'm there so here's what I took of his 13.989 pass including my little involuntary yippie at the end, from memory the cars previous best time is 14.7, we were hoping for something in the 13s and we're there so now Whittie can go back to the land of milk and honey next Wednesday pleased with his efforts.

The two stage rev limiter was set at 7.5k for the warm up then switched to 4k for the launch and run allowing flat changing.

I think the resident camera man has a tail pipe fetish.

Cheers

Dad

#728 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hi All

Well the four weeks that Whittie was home with us passed in the blink of an eye it was as if there was no time between pick up and drop off at the air port but of course there was and we did get some good stuff done including giving the Zed a few good workouts.

At the drags Whittie was returning to the staging area when along with another car was stopped by the organizers at the burn out pad, now the way I'm wired being pulled over can only mean trouble so I started to make my way from my photo point to go and find out what the problem was when I realized they were pulled over for an interview which was shown on a big screen at the start line so I filmed it, unfortunately because I was at the start line and racing was continuing you can't hear everything being said but I recon it's worth a look.

http://img.photobuck...zpshcie5psv.mp4

Cheers

Dad

#729 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:29 AM

Hi All

Well it didn't take long for Whittie to get right back into Houston style motorsport in his Datto/Infinity 370 2+2 with his gopro activated and a mike right by the exhaust for effect, gopro's new tech tricks give a digital readout of pretty much every thing that's going on.

Cheers

Dad

#730 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

And this one from last weekend too  :)

This car is just a DREAM to drive. It's so smooth and easy to control. That was my fastest run on a day I was just having fun with a co-driver, but I managed 2nd in class, taken out by a 450hp v8 Camaro. This car classes in stock with Camaro's, mustang's, 235i and M3's (of which I beat 2!) so to say I'm not surprised with the outright pace of the car would be a lie!

I have also entered in to a 2-day event at none other than the Circuit of The Americas in August. The national "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" will be running the weekend and it's a road rally, autocross and go-to-whoa on Saturday, a function evening and followed up by open lapping on Sunday. This one is most definitely on the bucket list and being only 2 hours away I couldn't not do it. A normal 2 day track event here would usually set you back in the order of US$1,000 so it's a long way from cheap fun, hence going along with the street car challenge event. Less track time, but also substantially less cost.

It turns out these things (and 370z's) cook engine oil REALLY badly, like 140C in 1-2 hot laps which will engage limp mode, so it needs an oil cooler up front before I do more than autocross. I will also need a few track days to get settled with the car. The video posted above also confirmed that i have to do something about the front camber that is not adjustable from -0.5 degrees, so I'll be purchasing an adjustable upper control arm to help with the HIDEOUS outside shoulder tyre wear. Other than that I'm just going to drive the pants off it :)

#731 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:18 AM

Hi All

It's been a while since my last post because nothing has happened on the Zed, it's currently in care and maintenance as my focus is on another project.

I know this is off topic but there was (for Dad and Mum) an alarming article on the TV news tonight about record flooding in Houston invoking a state of emergency so unsurprisingly we were immediately concerned for the Whittie's safety and well being.

Thanks to modern communication in almost no time we were in contact and Whittie assured us that the peak had passed and although a close call with water close to entering the house, all is well and getting back to normal.

Before the rain here's Whittie's 2+2 Datto 370 Zed in the drive

DSC03506_zpsu8diozgn.jpg

12 inches of rain in 24 hours later with drains overwhelmed.

IMG_20160418_094502_zpsmcsdcf3i.jpg

IMG_20160418_094526_zpstd1pv0a0.jpg

IMG_20160418_094508_zpsl9aqpvf5.jpg

IMG_20160418_094351_zpsuqicriom.jpg

Not sure Whittie will find this funny right now but I do.

In times of flood it's natural for wildlife look for refuge on high ground and wouldn't you know it, a skunk sought refuge under Whitties car and the Whitties Aussie Doberman dog who doesn't know a skunk from a black cat identified it as prey and went for it so the skunk used it's only defense and  sprayed all over the dog and the underside of the car, the dog has been scrubbed thoroughly and vaccinated but I doubt the car will be such a simple fix.

Here's my latest text from Whittie.

"My car smells so bad and I have no idea what to do now, I can't stop when driving without literally choking on the stench!  At least I won't loose it in the car park, you can smell it across half the lot."

Cheers

Dad

#732 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

Hi All

The Zed hasn't moved since Whittie's return to Houston in January it's just been sitting under cover with the maintenance battery charger connected, I've decided that it needs to have at least some use but first there are a couple of little issues that need to be resolved, the headlights failed again at the drags so it appears the issue is likely to be a failed HID ballast and the other one is the collapsed rear gear box cross member.

Remember the temporary fix?

P2013348_zpsy2fjcabc.jpg

P2013350_zpscabc4mio.jpg

It's time to fix it properly, I've given this quite a lot of thought and have considered having urethane bushes made but following discussion with Tuss have concluded that the rubber bushes at the ends of the cross member are there to remove vibration in order to increase cabin comfort which of course is not an issue in a race car so have decided to go with a solid mounting.

Here's what I found when I removed it.

P2014573_zpsm6czsz3k.jpg

P2014578_zpsexks2ghv.jpg

This did a surprisingly good job.

P2014580_zpsrurqvfs0.jpg

This has been is service long enough so will be replaced.

P2014583_zps3l8hwzb2.jpg

Cheers,

Dad

#733 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hi All

The cross member is currently with Tuss I I'll try to get some progress pics next week.

Meanwhile in the land of milk and honey Whittie has decided to upgrade the 370 2+2 in preparation of his upcoming Circuit Of The Americas event.

"I've purchased: Race pads, oil cooler, front sway bar, new rotors and brake cooling ducts which I hope to get installed over the next couple days. With any luck, a set of tyres and the car is done! I need to change the transmission fluid and diff fluid. For a 'sports car' these things have a lot of weak points, which is a real shame. With Mrs Whittie and I car-pooling to work now the car hardly gets any k's on it, starts to make me think I should have bought a truck, trailer and cheap race car, driving this thing on the track makes me more nervous than the zed, which is crazy, but I think that's because it's an only car so I can't afford to break it. Oh well, that's what the zed is for and I just need to get enough driving in to keep from going insane and then worry about real racing when I get back to AUS."

IMG_20160521_113439_zpsecei9neg.jpg

With that done it was time for a shake down at the local circuit and just as well it wasn't COTA because after little more than familiarization laps his day was over with potentially dangerous rotor failure.

icon_10_generic_list.png IMG_20160626_201132.jpg

​​

icon_10_generic_list.png IMG_20160626_201138.jpg

Fortunately no damage done but a good test day lost, hope it's fixed soon but it will be hard to have any confidence in those rotors.

Cheers

Dad

#734 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:07 AM

Hi All

The cross member is still with Tuss and while it is progressing sadly I don't have any pics but I'll post them when I do.

Meanwhile over in the land of milk and honey, Whittie had the failed rotor bolts replaced and went to another track day with sadly the same result, this time it's gone back to the bolt supplier with product recalled as it should but that doesn't help Whittie with his next event at CoTA, so stock rotors it is, not ideal but at least they're one piece.

Cheers

Dad

#735 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:48 PM

Hi All

The cross member's done and although it's not perfect, I'm happy with it for now, I suspect that when Whittie returns he will have the chassis mounts relocated so he can revert to a stock cross member.

Just to jog your memory here's the sad old failed cross member.

P2014578_zpsexks2ghv.jpg

P2014573_zpsm6czsz3k.jpg

Having decided to go with a solid mount I went with cross member in hand to the local steel supplier to see if I could find some matching tube, not only did he have some with a matching OD, he cut four pieces to size and refused to take payment, I think I'll go back there.

I delivered it all to Tuss for fabrication which he did but as expected the heat generated from welding and powder coating turned the rubber bush into a tacky goo with the consistency of moist marshmallow, so that had to go. 

At my now favorite steel supplier I found some tube to accommodate the mounting bolt, back at the workshop we considered a range of options and decided that as the mount is now solid the internal tube is merely a sleeve for locating the securing bolt so as it is not stressed as it was previously some form of silicon should be sufficient to hold it in place, eventually a Sika product was used and after being allowed to cure for about ten days appears to be working as intended so now I'll fit it and road test.

P2014804_zpsufwv5m2c.jpg

P2014806_zpse1ycnqap.jpg

Since the rebuild it's fair to say that we're not as happy with the car's performance as we had hoped, previously the engine was the strong point and the chassis was letting us down, now it's reversed and the chassis can handle more than the engine can deliver so as the car is not currently being actively campaigned and likely won't be before Whittie's return, I've decided to embark on a couple of little performance upgrades with the first being the P90 head which has been beautifully ported but the porting has followed the contour required for the original fuel injection that is not being used which means that the smooth air flow from the ram tubes through the carbies and inlet manifold becomes disturbed by unexpectedly needing to fill a larger space before entering the combustion chamber, although relatively minor it will be rectified.

P2010118_zps415bc283.jpg

The next one is possibly a little more meaningful because we currently run flat top pistons so will explore the possibility of going to raised top ones with valve relief.

Cheers

Dad

#736 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

It is interesting to note that a lot of people froth over the P90 head for performance when in a lot of cases it takes a lot of work to make it worth while, which can be achieved cheaper using other heads like the N42..

On my old green beast with standard injectors and built purely for circuit, I had one motor with a well worked P90 head, but we found the N42 head was better suited for what we wanted, and much easier to find one in good condition. The same bottom end combination with the N42 head swapped on from the P90 made a bit more power, but more importantly, more torque with the injection set up used. The amount of porting was similar, though different due to the inherent differences between the heads. We also didn't have to take as much off the face of the head to bump compression to where we wanted on the N42.

It should also be noted that my motors were built by rally guys, so were chasing a big lazy torque delivery with great drive-ability and not a top end screamer. Made it very easy to drive on the track with gobs of torque from around 3000 and useable up to around 6800 and throwing rockers at 7200  :)

Will be interesting to see what your guys come up with in matching the fuel delivery to the work done on the intake side of the head. It is possible to go too big in the ports.

#737 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

The P90 head came on the car and was sold to us as being a significant upgrade, since then we've fitted the largest valves possible and extra porting has been done, with the exception of relief for injectors both inlet and exhaust are port matched to their respective manifolds so we're not expecting a huge increase in power but as always, every little bit helps.  I'm comfortable that we have porting about right, the headers are tuned length Datrally spec flowing into 2.5in mandrel bend stainless exhaust.

Interestingly last week I caught up with the guy who tuned my Supra, he has moved into new premises which just happens to include a rolling road dyno which he is happy for us to use foc to get the Zed Weber jetting spot on.

I'm feeling both excited and intimidated at the prospect of operating a dyno to tune the Zed but one thing for sure, when it's done I'll know a lot more about tuning Webers than I do now.

Cheers

Dad

#738 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

Hi All

It's looking like Whittie's on top of the rotor bolt problem in his 2+2 370Z and is off to Austin next weekend to sprint the CoTA.

He already has put some miles on the latest bolt set up without a problem and will be driving several hours from Houston to Austin and CoTA, I expect he will have the stock rotors on board as a back up.

Hopefully we'll get some good pics and vid next week.

You know where I want to be next weekend.

Cheers

Dad

• CBR Jeff likes this

#739 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hi All

Received this from Whittie this morning.

This track is just unbelievable, shame you aren't here to flog the Infiniti too!

Car is doing really well, brakes are working but I still boiled the power steering fluid. Can do a warm-up, 2 flyers and everything is cooked. I backed way off for a cool down lap and next flyer was way on edge but 5s slower as there was nothing left in the tyres. 

Track videos in the next couple days, driving home tonight and the net is too slow.

It was a two day event with autocross the first day and sprint the next.

Here's what I have so far.

IMG_20160805_171957_zps8hyhkzeh.jpg

IMG_20160806_153201_zpsgzvjvhw4.jpg

DSC03528_zpshlovtuct.jpg

Screenshot_20160807-103450_zpsn3vk41wm.p

https://youtu.be/e3Bbweq0_SU

https://youtu.be/m8vy1XMQ4x8

Great to hear he's safe and the car stood up fairly well.

Cheers

Dad

#740 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

370Z 2+2 at CoTA

Cheers