Sign in to follow this  
Whittie

Dadson Racing: 2010 Revival

4 April 2012

G’Day Folks,

Well, not may words this time (Thank god!) just some more pics. The car is pretty much 100% ready for paint and with any luck will see some colour over the easter long weekend!

For now, some raw photos:

I walked in to the shop today and saw a beautiful sight, hanging panels!

P1030968.jpg

The inspection lids have had the welds ground off of the vents and are ready for primer

P1030969.jpg

The doors are getting some more attention fixing those little faults that you don’t see till the end

P1030970.jpg

There turned out to be some bad rust around the radiator support. Will didn’t think it would be much, but after taking the surface rust off it turned out to be a cut and replace job. Looks to me like it’s brand new!

P1030973.jpg

Here is a good shot showing the flaring on the guards, any other angle and you just can’t tell because they are that well integrated!

P1030975.jpg

And the body back to being fully mounted on the rotisserie ready for paint

P1030972.jpg

The spoiler has seen some final touches before being sent to the fiberglass shop for moulding.

P1030971.jpg

I did mention above, but these will be for sale after I’ve had the mould made and will be a very reasonable price. I’m not out to make money on these so you can guarantee that you’ll get top quality for your dollar.

The weather has been perfect for painting the last week or so and as such Will has ordered the paint, which he painstakingly reminded me about 15 times in one breath costs $480 per litre just for the colour (!!!!), not including clear and that I need 8 litres of the stuff….. The under body is getting done in proof-coat first, then the outside and engine bay in body colour and then finally the inside and cage get done in a matching 2-pac. I’m off for the weekend, but I’ll be checking in on Will and hopefully a painted car in about 2 weeks!!!

The clear vinyl is an interesting idea.

I'll look in to it some more, but I think you'll find that having the protector on will change the colour of the car, which is not something I really want to do. There is going to be plenty of clear coat, so stones shouldn't really get through to the colour any time soon. At the end of the day, it's a race car that's going to have 15 minutes of fame and a couple photo shoots before it never looks as good again, that's something I've known from the beginning so I'm not overly phased about.

Also, I need to make a correction there, the paint is about $980 for 4 litres, not 2 and so it's $245 per litre. That's not as bad as 480!!

The car is also only going to need about 6 litres so there will be a couple spare for when it needs touching up down the track as well.

even just a 40cm strip along the bonnet and edge may prevent those close contact chips

even just a 40cm strip along the bonnet and edge may prevent those close contact chips

That's where the AusZcar.com sticker goes.

Now that's a good idea! I'll just put the AusZcar sticker on top :P

I'll look into getting some and put it on the sills under the doors, where I didn't want to put proof-coat to spoil the gloss finish of the paint but will get a battering with the big, wide wheels. Probably also on the spoiler, which always gets hammered.

I think the first race will make it remarkably slower, at least until the first stone chip. ;D

Haha, slower for sure for the first little while! Not just the paint either, it's going to be nothing like it used to drive at all and I don't want to go hitting any walls!!!

11 April 2012

Well, I haven’t been this excited by a car for a VERY long time. Well, F1’s were probably better, but I’ve never been this excited about the zed, nor this rebuild. I wasn’t home over Easter, but Dad managed to get down to see Will over the weekend for another update on the zed. WOW does not begin to describe what I think about this car!

IMAG0317.jpg

Will has got the underbody coating on the car and finished. It’s a PPG product and is a stone guard type product. I don’t know what it’s called, but it is super hard, light-weight, stone and heat resistant as well as being a sound deadener. It’s black magic, put it that way. It’s what new car manufacturers use these days, just to keep in theme with the modernisation of the car.

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

Will also installed a couple of beams/braces around the car for jacking points so that the floor/sill/chassis doesn’t get bent by lazy mechanics (ie, me and Dad :o ) looking for jacking points.

IMAG0327.jpg

As well as these under the floor, there is also a bar welded on under the radiator support so that it can be used as a jacking point without bending it, as happened before.

Will has also finalised all the last touch-ups on the primer and body and almost finished blocking the car back. The PRIMER is shiny in some places, it’s that smooth! Check out the roof!

IMAG0319.jpg

To show off the lines of the car, Will put some water on the quarter panel to get a nice reflection. Ignore the smudges/streaks, that’s just the water. How amazing does it look!

IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

That’s all for this one folks. To quote what my Dad said “The workshop needs to be cleared and prepped, then it’s paint time. Expect to see it finished next weekend”

Stay tuned for colour after I pop in on Sunday to check out the progress. I’m expecting big news and will have literally hundreds of photos if the car has been painted!

Out (18,751)

That looks shite hot!!!!!  Would love to know what the black stuff is called??

It's what new car manufacturers use these days, just to keep in theme with the modernisation of the car.

You obviously don't look under many new cars - all they are coated in underneith is just primer.

Your shell is looking good though ;)

looking awesome!!!

Just saying though, you should paint the underside/wheel wells ect in white.

Handy trick on track cars for spotting leaks/fluids real quick.

Cheers Fellas!

I did a quick google on Lizard Skin and it sounds similar. Perhaps it's not used by new car manufacturers then, but you'd be mad not to put something hard on if you're not electroplating the underneath. These things especially need all the anti-rust help they can get.

I did think about spotting leaks etc with the black, but it'll actually be quite noticeable. The colour of the coating is very flat and any moisture would be quite easy to see. I also thought about tinting the coating and having it body colour, but there is something about the way it looks there that I just don't want to touch it, I think it looks amazing, very clean and tidy and will work very well.

Will has been up to his usual tricks, this time, and I quote "Squirting Paint"

I'm stuck about 2,000km from the middle of no-where at themoment and the work internet is PAINFULLY slow and I have no photo editor for colour correction. Also, auszcar only allows 1MB per post?

so only a couple pics till next week for now

post-1778-144023672205_thumb.jpg

post-1778-144023672211_thumb.jpg

post-1778-144023672215_thumb.jpg

Second day of squirting on some colour. 6 coats of colour to get proper coverage :o

Clear will be going on after the colour has sat for a while I think. Not sure on the process, maybe he'll just keep going at get clear on asap....??

Enjoy the pics, I know I am :)

post-1778-144023672259_thumb.jpg

post-1778-144023672265_thumb.jpg

post-1778-14402367227_thumb.jpg

post-1778-144023672275_thumb.jpg

Wow!

That is looking amazing.

I bet you cant wait till its all back together and buffed up. 8)

What is the colour? a custom mix? or from something in particular?

Thanks guys. I don't have any better photos than the ones I'm posting here, so this is all I've seen as well,but it sure looks good so far!!

I actually did a tour of all the car-yards in town one day to go colour hunting. The first time I found this colour I absolutely fell in love with it. Incidently it was on this car, which is the only holden I would buy. Love the things.:

08holdenswss-f3qu2.jpg

The colour is called Voodoo Blue

As you can see in that pic, the varied colours coming through on my car are the same. The reason the paint is so expensive is that it's a mica and also the way it reflects the light differently from different angles and subsequently looks bright blue in the direct sun and then dark from an angle. It also looks almost black at night. The clear will really give it some depth, then polish it up and it should shine like the sun.