Dadson Racing: 2010 Revival

It also looks almost black at night.

Same in the eastern states  ;D

Great colour and looks like a fantastic job.  This car will look too good to race.  Maybe you should build another one to race?

I quite like the colour, it's perfect for this car, which is a modernised classic road race car. It's purpose is to look good and go fast. Not necessarily in that order, but for now it is. I've seen those clear paint protection plastic stickers on a couple cars now I know what to look for and will be doing the same thing on the advice I was given above, that will keep most og the stone chips at bay. It's also going to get rally spec mud-flaps.

Not sure about your the comments lurch on being an inappropriate colour for a race car.... Pretty sure that anything goes on a race car and I also must be disillusioned that I could do whatever I wanted considering it's my build... anyways, No, not building another car either Maygz, never again! Next time I'll just buy that car I could have had, already restored, rebuilt and running with semi-race mods, for 20k and do a body swap :(

There's a tip for anyone thinking of building a car: Unless you are totally unsatisfied by ANYTHING on the market and are prepared to build a car at up to 3 times the cost of buying one (depends on how much work you can do yourself and what tools you already have and time to spare doing the work), not to mention the minimum 2-3 year time investment, don't bother, just buy something!!

Another quick photo here I got through this morning.

The headlight buckets, due to size and ability, have been finished wet. Therefore, they are shiny and will not require polishing as essentially they already are. This is what the rest of the car will look like once it's been finished

;D

post-1778-144023672335_thumb.jpg

Not sure about your the comments lurch on being an inappropriate colour for a race car.... Pretty sure that anything goes on a race car and I also must be disillusioned that I could do whatever I wanted considering it's my build... anyways, No, not building another car either Maygz, never again! Next time I'll just buy that car I could have had, already restored, rebuilt and running with semi-race mods, for 20k and do a body swap :(

It's your car Tom, but a 'Flip Mica' paint colour IMHO will end up chipped & damaged after a few track days - even with a protective film. These paints are also notoriously hard to touch-up afterwards as well.

I personally wouldn't be spending (I assuming) 6k+ on a paint job, only to have the panels chipped to the shithouse after the first track day...

Flat plain colours FTW.

In any case it's your Zed & it's a sweet looking paint job :)

Great build and beautiful car, but I can see Lurch's point of view. My track cars have always only ever had 10 foot paint jobs, but as you are mainly sprints and regularity the paint will last a lot better than a door handle to door handle track pig for racing.

Just be prepared to be gutted when you christen it, they aren't real race cars until they get biffed.

As I said above a beautiful car and great build, everyone needs to spend way too much on a car at least once. My chugger is a 12 year cheque book resto that is getting towards 6 figures for an XL, so much respect for your build and then driving it properly.

Indeed, the colour is VERY similar to nissan's blue. I was actually going to do it in the (bayside?) blue that's on the 370z, but when I went to look at all the colours, I just liked the holden one a little more. My absolute favorite colour was actually a toyota blue, from the little runabout before the yaris, forget it's name. However, I couldn't find a car in decent nic in a showroom to get a good enough feel for it to pull the trigger, so I went went the holden blue.

I know what your all talking about guys, I know what's going to happen to the car, I didn't embark into this rebuild at any stage without fully preparing myself for the realities of it. Well, cept for trying to get away with a quick rebuild and only spend 15k....

I'll quote here from my very first post: "So, the goal: Take 100+ kg out of the car, make it a show stopper and track stomper,"

I fully realise it's only going to look good until the first event, That's why I have 3 photo shoots lined up as soon as it's running again, BEFORE it gets anywhere near a track and I plan on getting to a couple of shows within the first few months of it being finished. After that, it's all down hill. I figure if I get a year of a really nice looking car I'll be happy. This thing is still going to look better at 10-feet than most all the other cars on the track even after it's been beat up a little, so it meets all the criteria I set out at the beginning.

Then, of course, there are the reasons you can't explain, that seemly primeval urge to do it, simply, because you can. I've wanted to do this since I first sat in the car. I know it's impractical, I know I shouldn't, but no matter how practically I think about it I just can't shake that urge. So, it got the colour I always wanted.

Like PZG said above, everyone with the opportunity and desire should do at least 1 car. This is the only car I'll ever do this to and it's not a bad thing, I've had a good time doing it. I'm glad I did it, but I'll never do it again, I could never justify the money again, especially considering by the time I buy another car I'll be in that uncomfortable age range where I really should be thinking more seriously about where I'm going to be and what I'm going to be doing, myself and/or family/kids/houses/etc, further ahead than the 6 or so months I concentrate on at the moment. Not to mention that for what this will owe me by the time I'm finished I could have bought a much faster, newer, quiter car, or even a sprint series outright contending evo 9/10, but again, that's not why you do these things.

For those who are thinking ahead tho, I may just see you at philip island at easter next year :)

I hear it often, "these cars are meant to be driven" i'm of the opinion that all cars are mean to be driven! That's why they have seats and steering wheels, otherwise finish them and seal them off in a glass case like Phar Lap.

If i have just one photo of something i have worked on the looks the buiness i'm happy because i know how good it can look. It may not look that good now because i choose to enjoy it.

I'm a bit surprised by the reaction from some people here to the colour Tom has chosen for his car, personally I think it's hot and will be one of the best looking Zeds in the country when it's back together, I'm sure the comments regarding stone chipping and colour matching are well meant and are taken that way however they are things that have been considered and with that in mind Will has a bit over a litre of the paint left over for touch up purposes.

Tom and I have campaigned the Zed extensively in WA at Wanneroo, Collie, Albany and Northam round the houses street circuits as well as a host of hill climb and special stage events, interstate we have competed at Phillip Island in Vic and Eastern Creek, Oran Park and Bathurst in NSW, of all those events the only track that gives us cause for stone chipping concern is Phillip Island because of the size of the kitty litter and the ease with which it is drawn onto the track when cars run wide. 

From all the events we have done to date apart from polishing off rubber marks the only touch up work required has been to the bottom of the guards in fact in WA sand blasting is more of an issue than stone chipping.

I recently sold my Toyota Supra that I have campaigned a lot over the past 10 years in WA including tarmac rallies and a Rally Australia special stage where I had the car airborne over the fly over as well as events at Oran Park and Bathurst, at the Oran Park event a fellow competitor asked me if regularity was for show cars I said no it's not but thanks for the compliment.  Over this time I did pick up some gravel rash and touched up a few stone chips but from a mitre away the car looked like new so my experience is that with a little care running the car where we do will not destroy the paint.

I've attached a couple of pics of the Supra in it's last events.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Tommo560/DSC_0141.jpg[/img]]DSC_0141.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Tommo560/OranPark2009.jpg[/img]]OranPark2009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Tommo560/P1010127.jpg[/img]]P1010127.jpg

I'd have to agree with Lurch. My 240z has had limited track days and lower 6inches of all panel look like they have been sandblasted, just lucky my white on white doesn't really show it until you get close.

It'll be a show quality build, but no trailer queen. Will be good to see a beautiful car getting driven and thrashed on track.

It'll be a show quality build, but no trailer queen.

I never did and do not have any intentions of having a trailer queen.

Will be good to see a beautiful car getting driven and thrashed on track.

This is the intention :)

I feel like people think I have no idea what I'm doing and think that I need correction. I know full well what I'm doing and the eventual outcome, this is the decision I've still made. With the way things are going for me I've probably only got 18 months left in Perth before I end up in some other location in the world, although I'm not sure where yet. That gives me less than a year and a half to enjoy this build and you can guarantee I want this car to be perfect for that time. It's only got to last 18 months, and it will. Any longer is a bonus.

I don't think there is any problem with what you're doing.

It's more likely that the comments read harsh, but sound fair.

This build will be one of the cleanest Z's going around. That's s spot usually reserved for show, not track.

It is a tad ironic though. To be so particular with quality finish, then put it on a track. Cos everyone knows that's done it, stone chips are inevitable!

But good on you  ;) Look forwards to seeing the build continue.

• Moderators

Speaking from experience ...I believe the zed being driven just on a normal road will cop more damage than on a track... at least the people you run with know what they are doing and the general public on the road have no idea...stone chips will be the worst! On the public roads you have the people who just don't look, make brave decisions... you know..

I may have started some of this  :(

My comments related to how good your car was going to look when finished.  I love the colour and the attention to achieving a good finish.  My reference to it being too good to race was simply in reference to it looking too good to race  :o

Racing cars, in my limited experience, don't appear to have the detail and good finish that yours will have.  In fact some have looked like they were painted with a paint brush!  They probably were!

Some sort of protective coating over the first fwe inches of the nose may be helpful at preserving the front finish - so will good brakes  ;D

Enjoy and I'm sorry if my comments weren't clear in the first instance.

MaygZ

I may have started some of this  :(

You're fine mate, it went from a friendly banter and complimenting to the opposite direction. I know what you mean about it being too good to race, that's why I'll be doing the photo shoots before it's first outing, to forever capture that one moment that it will never look that good again. I'm not hating on people's opinion here that I shouldn't put so much effort in to something that will get damaged quickly, I'm rebutting those that seem to think I don't know what I'm doing.

As I said in my post on the last page tho, If I was going to build a dedicated track car (this is a road/track/show car) then it most certainly would not get anywhere near this attention. A hammer to define some shape in panels and then a roller brush for paint, THAT'S the perfect recipe for a track pig. Regularity and sprints aren't real bumper-to-bumper racing so you can get away with going the extra mile on presentation.

Anyways, the rig out here has been delayed, you'd think that after decades of putting cement in pipes that people would know how to do it, but we've been stuck on the same cement job for 5 days. I should be home before next weekend and I'll be making a detour home via Will's shop to get as many photos as I can, if the car is even still at his shop :D

I spoke to Dad yesterday and all the under chassis components are at the nickel platers and will be ready tuesday (last tuesday actually, but they never did them.....) and then we'll get to see what the ole girl looks like with some wheels on her and in her rightful place back home again!

Bit of a double edged swored tho, bringer her home, cause then I actually have to put my OWN time back in to her, so things might slow down a bit again. All Fours and Rotaries have a track day on August 8, it would be nice to be ready for a shakedown on that day.

Cheers mate :)

Personally I went the lighter colour because it's no where near as common. Blue on these cars is VERY popular and I was looking or something a little different.

Mica is just a silicon crystal basically. Wikipedia can give you more than you wish to know, a very detailed page.

As for it's effect in paint, I found this and thought it was quite good:

Mica flakes act like tiny prisms, refracting white light into different colors. With mica automotive paint, the vehicle takes on different shades from different angles. Metallic automotive paint, on the other hand, uses small flakes of aluminum to reflect light. This gives the finish shine and sparkle, but the color looks the same from all angles.

Q:  Is the mica just a metallic or something else

A:  Mica flakes act like tiny prisms, refracting white light into different colors. With mica automotive paint, the vehicle takes on different shades from different angles. Metallic automotive paint, on the other hand, uses small flakes of aluminum to reflect light. This gives the finish shine and sparkle, but the color looks the same from all angles.

Hey tbscobraZ

Your's was an innocent enough question which triggered a detailed response but I guess you weren't to know Tom has "THE KNACK"

click this link and you'll understand :)

In Will's own words "Squirting Paint" is finished. It's curing for 60 hours now and then it's sand and polish time. I'm not sure if clear is on, but BOY does it look good.

I'm stuck on a floater in the middle of the ocean still so all I get are the teaser pictures too, enjoy the most expensive wind chime most of us are likely to see for a long time!!

post-1778-144023673094_thumb.jpg