#1 ScottyB

ScottyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

Ok, so been doing a bit of research here and at HybridZ.  I am looking to put ZG Flares on my 240Z and most likely 17 x 9.5 -19 Rota RB's unless I can find something else I like?

I will want to lower the car, with plenty of adjustability in the suspension (coilover), yet also get adjustment in front and rear camber.  Lowering the Z I realise will give me neg camber, but determined only by height obviously.  I have seen the weld in versions, but found these Ground Control plates and wanted to know peoples thoughts:

Posted Image

Ground Control Racing Camber / Caster Plates

Adds camber and caster adjustment, 100% aircraft bearings. (front and rear fitment available)

This kit is designed to bolt into the Z, and no welding is required*. The reason for this is that the Z cars have several layers of sheetmetal in the strut tower, so any welding in the strut area is bad engineering practice.

Every component is anodized or plated, including fasteners. Adds extra travel to avoid excessive bottoming out, this is a very well engineered product.

Camber and caster are separately adjustable by sliding the mounts, without removing any components from the car. The priority of this design is to allow fast, repeatable alignment changes at the track.

The Ground Control camber plates feature two sets of bearings, a proprietary bearing, made to our specs by Aurora in the USA, which allows for articulation of the shock shaft. This spherical bearing is very understressed, as the Ground Control design does NOT support the weight of the car on the spherical bearing. Instead, the weight of the car is supported by a completely separate articulating needle bearing, which is also manufactured for Ground Control in the USA.

*There is NO welding required for the GC Z camber/caster plates, because the Z cars are one of the very worst cars to weld on (lots of undercoating between several layers of sheet metal).

There IS drilling and cutting involved. The camber plate and strut tower area on Z cars is pretty complicated, so we actually designed the GC camber/caster plate to be easy to install as part of the original design parameters. One example is that the mounting holes can be drilled without removing the front fenders. Many other Z camber plates require the front fenders to be removed in order to drill under the flange that protrudes into the engine bay.

Essentially what is done is that a series of holes are drilled according to the directions, and then the holes are "connected" with a jigsaw. The resulting cutout is the area in which the camber and caster are adjusted (left-right, front-rear).

I am considering going HSD Coilovers, but not 100% sure yet.

#2 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

I would love to know how they do caster with that unit? It looks like it only has in and out ie camber changes not front and back and the lower plate does not look to have multi-holes on a offset bush. So how do they get the caster adjustment? Thoughts?

#3 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Tagline:www.facebook.com/mankiniadventures

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

I was looking at them but they are a bit expensive for the full set.
Also you would have to modify your strut tops and my strut braces will not bolt up without modification.

I have been looking at the Motor Sport Auto ones from America.

I will be using "Camber Adjustment Bushes" and "Camber Adjustment Strut Tops"
No modifications needed.

This will give me 3.5 degrees of adjustment between the two items above.

http://www.thezstore...e/TZS/CTGY/PSDC

#4 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

NZedder

you could either get camber or castor out of those plates, but not at the same time lol

#5 timzcarman

timzcarman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

I have been looking at the Kmac items.

http://www.k-mac.com.au/

No mods needed to the strut top - well priced. Ultimately probably not as much adjustability as hacking the strut top. But with some eccentric bushes in the lower mounts it should be enough to get things right.

Attached Thumbnails

• 15482_2b537a5c01100239db25f3900f22613116341419.jpg

#6 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

It looks like the middle right bolt hole is slotted. I assume they are all slotted a touch for caster, cant see you getting much caster out of that if that is the case though.

#7 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

There is also EMI racing plates. Check out betamotorsports for those

#8 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

how much adjustment do those k-mac plates have in them?

#9 timzcarman

timzcarman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

I was really hoping someone could tell me!

#10 ScottyB

ScottyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

hmmm, looks like I can do more homework as the Z I was lining up to collect next Saturday has now - stopped working.  Engine blew.  Get my deposit back and on the hunt for a sub 10k 240 project again.  :o

#11 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

I have a set of the K-Mac items and next weekend I might have all the parts I need to install the front suspension. They are not cheap - very $$ in fact but I wanted a complete bolt in that would give me both camber and caster. I have adjustable lower arms and TC rod to get more adjustment - but my aim is to have two setups - street and track then use the k-mac tops to change the camber/caster from the two settings with having to adjust the TC rods or LCA + adjusting caster/camber as this should be easier to move between the two setups.

That pic of the k-mac above is a proto-type and only does camber (might be the rear which only does camber) the fronts do both camber and caster. The caster is done via the 3 bolts are on a plate that move back (they are handed ie there is a LH and RH unit) via a kind of kidney bean shape. As you do up the nuts on the top it locks into place. Very cool solution and works well.

#12 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

The Dollar amount?

#13 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

The Dollar amount?

it is on their website - well it used to be so I have not checked today :(

#14 rb25240z

rb25240z

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

I have the EMI plates in the front of my car. They do both caster and camber as well as lowering the by about 25mm. There is no cutting to make them fit. They are a little less adjustable than the sliding type but I'm happy with them so far.
I bought all my suspension from John Coffee and highly recommend him. He was very helpfull and fast to answer any questions.

When I was looking around 8 months ago, I went to KMAC to ask about there camber plates. They told me there plates cost around $600 a pair, double what most plates cost!

#15 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

John is good to deal with I have purchased stuff from him in the past too.

#16 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:18 AM

I have the weld in Techno Toy Tuning ones... Strong... But a fair amount of labor. I also used the ground control coilover sleeves and had the struts shortened. All up, I have a fair amount of adjustment, but you have to be careful that the towers are cut right and the camber plates welded in right or you end up without uniformity in the adjustments, but it can all be sorted with a wheel alignment anyways.

#17 DatPilot

DatPilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Tagline:you are a goose

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone know where to source the central strut retaining nut? "tube' nut/ 'barrel nut'
I have new Koni reds, and JIC strut tops, but the actual nut to finish it all off is very hard to find! The only thing I can see to be done is get a custom set made at $120 per hour plus materials....

#18 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

Specialty fasteners in Fyshwick might have what you are after?

#19 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Give "Toperformance" a call in Vermont, Melbourne. Just tell them what insert and what diameter strut tube and they should have them. If you are stuck, I have a small collection but which type do you need?

#20 DatPilot

DatPilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Tagline:you are a goose

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

I spoke to toperformance, they couldnt help, the said to get a set of nissan wheelnuts and get the outer DIA machined down.

The outer DIA needs to be 18mm, the internal thread is M12x1.25. Actual length of the 'shaft' is 19mm.

If you can help that would be stella! I will check with specialty fastners tonight on the way home too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users