misc 4speed in my 260 2+2

alexcs

I bought my 260 2+2 about six years ago it had had the eng roplaced with an L28 and may have had an automatic trans because for some reason some numpty has fitted it with a four speed trans.I have re biult it once after extended periods of punishment apart from that i've had no problems.Does anyone know what it may have come from or for what reason it may have been fitted. :? :?

All Z's sold in Australia came with a 5-speed, but the 4-speed was actually an option. In the US they only got the 4-speed and the 5-speed wasn't available until around the introduction of the 280Z, and even then it was the wide ratio type (FS5W71B).

Early 240K's (pre 1976) came with a 4-speed manual from the factory for us, so it's possibly one of those (some other 6-cyl Datsuns - eg 240C - could be had as a 4-speed manual, but rare). The early 4-speed boxes are distinguishable by the long, thin metal cover screwed to the top of the extension housing in front of the gear lever - unfortunately a bit hard to see.