LD28 V07 DIESEL CRANK

furrybarry

I'm hunting for an LD28 crank is an good condition as possible, or even better a complete running LD28.

Also in need of a clutch pedal and pivot.

I'm in Melbourne, happy to organise freight and it's for a 260z 2 seater.

Cheers,

I don't mean to sound negative, but do you realize if you go the 'stroker' route, it'll cost you more & you'll probably go slower than a well built 2.8ltr...?

got one for you - $AU500 and its yours. I'm based in Auckland, but happy to drop off in Melbourne as i'm there pretty regulary (every month at the moment). Have done this for another site member as well

I don't mean to sound negative, but do you realize if you go the 'stroker' route, it'll cost you more & you'll probably go slower than a well built 2.8ltr...?

Undoubtedly good advice, it's a lot of trouble for a meagre increase in stroke. Has anybody ever offset ground one of these things?

The trouble is I've run out of projects so it's really as much about the diversion as the destination on this one.

got one for you - $AU500 and its yours. I'm based in Auckland, but happy to drop off in Melbourne as i'm there pretty regulary (every month at the moment). Have done this for another site member as well

That's some hefty luggage. PM sent, cheers.

Those ld28 cranks weigh heaps in diesel form what did they rev too 4000 rpm or so ,,then throw one in a petrol block and double its revs, thats a lot of weight being flung around in the bottom end, and the talk is wack one in and thats all .    my advice before you go ahead, check the trousers your wearing and make sure they have very deep pockets

forged rods and slugs, and you can with a degree of safeness get that heavy crank down to approx 15kgs

knife-edgeing and balancing the whole lot, while at it spend the money on a proper STEEL machined flywheel, and use decent ARP main cap studs, not the 30 year old overstrssed bolts in it now.

I have driven one of the 3.3's it is a real truck of a thing, but pulls like a dormitory of schoolboys at a holiday camp.

Raced John McKeons 3.1, same thing. ( BTW it is still for sale, posted on the f/s section)

my advice before you go ahead, check the trousers your wearing and make sure they have very deep pockets

I don't understand why they would cost so much more than a properly done standard stroke ? I must be missing something.

Other than new rods and the crank itself, you're doing everything else with a tough L28 build up no?

last time i packaged one of these thing sup and put it on a scale it was 23kgs (including packaging) - not sure how that compares to a L28 crankshaft. Does anyone know?

21.8kg for the stock L28 crank. I don't have a standard L28 flywheel to weigh but the diesel flywheel is supposed to be 17kg.

Those ld28 cranks weigh heaps in diesel form what did they rev too 4000 rpm or so ,,then throw one in a petrol block and double its revs, thats a lot of weight being flung around in the bottom end, and the talk is wack one in and thats all .    my advice before you go ahead, check the trousers your wearing and make sure they have very deep pockets

I though you were going to say check my trousers and see if I was man enough. Pockets are deep, but there's holes in the bottom.

That's great information on the L28 crankshaft weight.

So really it's a bit a falicy about the LD28 cranks being so much heavier than the L28 crankshafts. There might be a 1kg in it at the most - i suspect the same falicy exists with the longer LD28 140mm rods being 'so' much heavier than the standard (non - deisel) conrods. I'm going to weigh one in the weekend and compare

Custom conrods? I can't think of anything with a 46mm big end.

Yes but how did you get 46mm?? 53mm journal on the L6. So with some offset grinding there a many 51 journal rods around aka RB units, SR20. Yes they are thinner journals but if you are going to offset grind might as well spray weld for more offset and the thinner journaled SR20 rods (136.3mm long ;))

airlines treat me nicely these days - extra baggage allowance.

reply PM sent

Is now a good time to mention that I work for customs? ........What flight are you on again :D

Yes but how did you get 46mm?? 53mm journal on the L6. So with some offset grinding there a many 51 journal rods around aka RB units, SR20. Yes they are thinner journals but if you are going to offset grind might as well spray weld for more offset and the thinner journaled SR20 rods (136.3mm long ;))

No idea how I managed that figure. That would be some stroker. Though Hondas have rods around that size I think?

• 7 months later...

21.8kg for the stock L28 crank.

Just got the LD28 crank back from the machinist. Under 20kg with weight taken from drilling a chunk out of the side of each big end throw and tapering the counterweights. I'm going to experiment with this cheapo clutch and flywheel http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190484984855.

Only 225mm diameter but will give it a go until it or the synchros let go.

As for n42 block, there was a misaligned oil gallery that popped through with the 89mm overbore and thus required sleeving.

Rods going in are these: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Conrods-Datsun-L24-connecting-rods-pleuel-bielle-rods-/400169862515

Pistons are K587M89 from Wiseco. Used in KA24s.  These have no fly cuts in them which was a nice surprise.