#21 2+2er

2+2er

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Tagline:the start - 260Z 2+2

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I couldn't find a better spot for this so here goes.

In my 76 260Z 2+2 when i performed this upgrade (280zx alternator in, voltage reg out), I found that the alternator was not charging well until it got to at least 2000 RPM.

when I tried to measure the voltage on the blue wire (switched 12V power via the warning light) I found it was bouncing between 12 and 0 volts.

Its only now that I'm repairing the water fuel and oil gauge voltage regulators that I realise the blue wire is fed power from the oil gauge voltage regulator and only receiving an average of 5 Volts (5 volts according to the info i found on the net).

this results exciter circuit in the alternator not functioning correctly as its needs 12 Volts. When I manually apply 12 volts the alternator functions as it should.

I believe the answer is to take a wire from (join to) the Black with white ignition wire that powers the coil and old engine voltage regulator when the ignition is in the on position and combin it with the blue warning light wire and connect to the L terminal on the alternator ( I hope to confirm this on the weekend).

: ------- :  "S"
:.... | ....:
    : | :
    : | : "L"
    :...:

I searched hi and low but there was no mention of this in any of the conversions I read. I hope this saves someone from a trip to the auto elec  :) :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users