306 replies to this topic

#1 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi guys, here is some info and pics of my new Zed.

Build: 71' HS3010567

Engine: LS1 5.7L with a mafless tune, and block hugging headers (4>2>1)

Gearbox: 6 speed manual T56

Diff: R200 LSD 3.45 gears. Z32 CV shafts

Brakes: Z32 fronts and rears

Suspension: Coil over conversion, spring rates and dampner details unknown.

Fuel system: Alloy fuel cell, Carter lift pump, surge tank, Bosch 044 fuel pump, fuel reg.

Plans at this stage is to go over the car and fix up wiring. The dash isn't connected so maybe some aftermarket gauges for speed and revs might be able to get signals from the LS1 pcm. Maybe a new radiator, then there's nothing really stopping me from attending a motokhana. Re-install the interior as it was kind of all thrown in at the last minute. New carpets and vinyl. I've got a new weatherstrip kit from Black Dragon to go on. A rear spoiler. Still lots of things to do but certainly closer to being RWC than my other one. New paint job one day, but I love the white.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopefully one day it will look like this.

Posted Image

#2 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

Very nice Tim,  the shaved rear end and exhausts look great!  8)  What sort of power does it put out?

#3 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

Picked up a very nice play thing! You must post a youtube video when its running..Would love to hear it!

#4 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

Good score Tim......

QLD legal LS Block, 2/3rds complete, look forward to the end result.... ;)

#5 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

Tim, welcome to the LS1 brigade - I am envious. Believe you me there is a lot to be said for buying a project at this stage.

A couple of questions if I may;
Does it have the spare tyre well? and
Could you show some photos of how the fuel tank is mounted and the exhaust configuration around the tank?

Also, a photo of the gearbox mount would be appreciated, thanks.

If you want to add a bit of bling there is a mob in Brisbane who sell coil-less mounts rocker covers machined from aluminium billet. I have a set and they look terrific. I am relocating four coils to the area on the inner guards behind the battery (and four on the corresponding driver's side). If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll tell you how much I drove them down on the price.

Oh!... buy yourself a new gear lever but be careful with importing a short shifter, both zed240au and myself got caught with duds.

#6 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Ha, whats wrong with my 7 inch RHS shifter. Funny you mention that Peter as I've already priced a shifter stick from Holden at $130, then ordered a Hurst shifter with a white ball knob with the T56 pattern. How did you get stung?

I'll grab those photos today for you. The wheel well has been removed for the fuel cell but non of it has been approved yet so I'll be looking into the rules a regs for that. The wheel well and original fuel tank did come with the car though if I ever need to put them back in.

I honestly don't mind the coils where they are, but did look into nicer covers and relocating them when I had my Clubsport.

As far as power, I had similar mods in my Clubsport, mafless tune, K&N filter, extractors (4>1) and twin 2.5 exhuast which made 249rwkw. So depending on how healthy this engine is 220-250???

#7 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hey Tim where do you find these Z's in FNQ. Saw a 240/260 in Gracemere last week. First one I have seen in CQ for 20 years. Wonder if he is a member. It was black or dark blue with an enormous wing on the boot. Looked like a daily driver.

#8 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

Wow, looks nice mate.
Not sure how long your paint around the exhaust holes will last, but damn they look nice.

#9 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Here are the pics of exhaust config and gearbox mount.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

Tim - Thanks for the photos - great detail.

As someone going through this built I can't begin to tell you how much time, effort. thought, trial & error, etc, and expense,  has been included with this purchase.

I assume there is a cover where the spare tyre well once was so I wonder if you could take a photo from over the muffler (let it cool first!) of the the fuel tank mounting bracket/s.

Here is the link to fuel tank requirements:
http://www.infrastru...ms_3feb2006.pdf

#11 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

Here are some photos of the fuel cell install. Before I had a quick read through that link I knew I would have some work to do to get it approved (fuel cell is the only thing that does not have a mod plate).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not sure about the angle thing regarding the back of the car protecting the cell. I've seen a lot worse than this though. Take note of the ugly drain cap of the appropriate size to drain small birds out of the fuel cell.

Posted Image

#12 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

Thanks Tim, very helpful.

I couldn't quite figure out the angle business either. Why would it need to be shaped like the rear of a 747 unless you were doing wheelstands? Apparently it is all to do with 'rear to kerb' parking and not returning to your car to find the gutter flowing with petrol and a row of cars ablaze!

#13 zed240au

zed240au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

Welcome to the Ls1 club car looks very good as peter said your lucky to have had someone do alot of the base work done for you
As for tacho you can get signal from computer though i found i had to change to newer tacho as signal would not drive old 240z tacho
Water temp and oil pressure gauges i used the datsun senders fitted to ls1 motor
speedo i used cablex speedo drive unit which takes signal from computer and converts it to a speedo drive that spins std speedo
Can use signal from computer to run an electric speedo if your happy to change to newer style gauges
The shifter we got caught with was a hurst knock off made in china very low quality off us ebay
Im using a geninue hurst shifter now quite happy with that

mick

#14 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Just fitted the front indicators today and I was wondering how those with this same spoiler fit their number plates? The doesn't seem to be any obvious place for one at the front.

Posted Image

The spoiler that came with the car is an interesting one. I don't think I've seen one of these before, or seen them available in Aus anyway. The plates on the white spoiler came with the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Tagline:www.facebook.com/mankiniadventures

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

My number plate bracket on the front, is two tabs that hang off the bottom of the front bumper.

I am pretty sure this it the standard place that the number plates are mounted.

The spoiler I have on my car has no provision for a number plate.

#16 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

This should help

Posted Image

#17 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Well not much to report lately due to the new bub, but I am glad to say I've sorted out the clutch master problem. They seem to be very fiddly with setting the travel, too deep and fluid squirts into the cabin, to short and you don't get enough replacement fluid from the resoviour.
Anyway I drives so I took it out to the drive way today for its first bath. Unfortunently that wasn't much help as it seems to be suffering from a disease caused by sitting in a workshop with people using a grinder in its direction and grinding slag falling onto the paint. Little tiny bits of steel here and there have melted into the paint causing their own little tiny rust circle. I do plan on repainting it but I think it might be bumped up to the top of the list now. Respraying it white would have to be the easiest colour to paint I'm guessing. It will be a good time to align the panels and doors and fix up a few areas. I would also like to restore the rear to a more factory look too. Don't really like the pipes sticking out like that. I have marked beneath them where I want to cut out. I don't know how much is left behind of the rear bumper mounts either so I can install one of those. I have ordered some aerotech flush mount bonnet pins to fix up the dodgey ones is has now, and I'd like to get some 260Z bonnet vents to assist the airflow in the engine bay due to the headers. I may remove them one day and wrap them in that fibreglass wrap, or get them HPC coated but I'm not sure whether that will make much difference. Oh and I have received my sweet gear shifter, complete with the T56 6 speed pattern on the ball.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I went for a very short drive as well today, just down the road 100m or so to turn it around (yeah whatever), and it is much louder under load than I thought it would be. I rolled out of a U turn in 2nd from almost standing still speeds and it pulled like a steam train from no revs so I can imagine how it will go up in the power band 8) 8)

#18 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

Get some detailing clay. It will get rid of rust spots in the paint.
http://waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=3
Brad

#19 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Say again...which Mack truck was the engine out of ?

#20 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Fitted and new water pump and an alloy radiator recently. Looks pretty good. Had to enlarge the holes to get it to fit and be center etc. I used an original L series bottomg radiator hose and cut and shut the stainless pipe the PO had made for the old radiator.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also fixed up some of the fuel lines at the pump which were just hose clamped on and leaking. Got a check valve of the 044 as well to keep the lines full and prevent having the run the pump for a while before starting.

Posted Image

I'll have to take a video of it running to show you how it sounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users