Scoota's 1975 Datsun 260Z Chassis RS30-005012 (Sold and now under restoration)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose i should explain myself a bit. I've commited myself to repairing one panel every weekend until i get them all done and then spray a final coat over the entire car.

The roof, tops of the rear quarters and tailgate have been stripped and repainted previously and i'm getting brand new Door Skins. The dog legs will be rebuilt and possibly a new tailgate striker panel.

I'll post up all the pics i took every monday. My car was stolen and recovered on 07/07/1990 and it's always been below average in the body area.

As a final episode i'll take the engine out and respray the bay and detail the engine again. Stay Tuned.

Not a real lot to report this week as i stripped back the inspection plates and scuttle panel... just a small amount of rust in the scuttle panel. All were stripped, etched, primed and painted...also fitted the new radiator a couple of weeks ago.

post-762-144023568738_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023568744_thumb.jpg

post-762-14402356875_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023568757_thumb.jpg

Ok another weekend, another panel. I'm starting to think i've bitten off more than i can chew but i must admit that the guards are difficult to work with when you have to recreate entire sections. The fact that i went out on saturday night and got smashed didn't help either. So i took today off and got the guard in color. Rust repairs were a PITA.

post-762-144023569983_thumb.jpg

post-762-14402356999_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023569997_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023570003_thumb.jpg

Yea nearly drove me Loopy that one but i'm a persistant so and so. Rain today means i'm in the garage with just the indicator and headlight to go on. I'ts a good feeling to chop out the cancer i tells Ya. More pics after it stops raining  8)

• Administrators

Nice work Mark. I'm wondering what that tool is you use to remove the paint? It looks like it is pretty easy to go back to bare metal with it. I always thought you needed chemical based products to lift paint off.

Bit of a body work newbie myself here.

Interesting little tool that one Gav, which i've been using for the last 20 Years. It used to be made by a company called Sandvik but now it goes under a different name. The blade is Tungsten Carbide, the head is Alloy and it has a sturdy Plastic handle. When i went to Home Hardware the guy raved on and on about it and he wasn't wrong, it's a spectacular little scraper. Costs about $38 and $20 for just the blade.

Good thing about it is that if you have trouble making the correct shapes or lines with filler you can wait for the filler to nearly go off and then carve the shape like a Clay Model. Just have to be careful with it as it will go through 8 layers of paint in one hit and go right back to metal and then keep going.