Why does my 71B jump out of 5th under load?

timzcarman

Worn synchros.

After 30 odd years of use they do get a little worn out, especially if you have done a bit of highway use.

One question has it been recently "rebuilt" 'cos if the rings are not put back exactly as they came out this could cause it.'The ramp angles on the rings are slightly different front to rear, something like a 4 degree difference in angle, and if installed in wrong place this can cause the synchco to"climb" out of gear instead of "push" or hold in gear.

Similar thing can happen when say a box is on "trail" or backed off throttle, it can pop out of gear.

Get it pulled apart and renewed, it'll be sweet and last another 30 plus years!!!

What options are there for synchros - I believe it is a z box with Brass synchros. Is there any aftermarket options or is genuine only?

I can't remember if I got genuine or aftermarket, but I remember that they were damn expensive. Porsche style synchros with a similar pricetag.

Another helpful post from yours truely.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys but it's not synchros, it's the gear sloppy on the main shaft...there is two options; new gear and main shaft OR grind out the 5th gear, rebush the gear with a hardened steel bush then grind it out to a smaller bore size than original to suit the worn main shaft

If you only replace the synchro, it will jump out again

Enjoy, Pete