57 replies to this topic

#21 eddii

eddii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

that's great to see that it's legal to fit these engines in S30 in QLD. it is so hard to find info amongst engineers. every one has different opinions on what you can fit in. i spoke to three engineers (meaning: mechanics that do mod plate) in this stinky town and i found out that 1 said max 5L, the other is not quite interested (he couldn't be bothered to read the rule book -too hard), and the last one had been a pain in the butt. he wanted to have every single welds on every modified brackets engineered approved! argh!!
maybe i should go back to them and say, look it can be done :)

#22 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

Curious as to why it has Rims, Tyres, Suspension & Steering Modification Code LS2 (LS2 is nothing to do with the engine - just a coincidence).

As I understand it LS2 is related to LHD to RHD conversion. Was it something to do with the steering rack?

#23 BRK50

BRK50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

one of the reasons i got mine passed was because the engineer who signed off on it who is one of the most reputable engineers around knows the guy who fabricated it all and fitted it up. 

He knows the fabricator does not cut corners and is not some back yard knob with out welding skills. this helps when the engineer knows the quality of the work.

the steering arm was re-directed with a knuckle to fit the extractors, thats why its got the ls2

i have a price, im looking for about $8500 ono for it all. that includes pretty much everything, it would just about be impossible to buy the parts for that without any labor. it cost me well over that.

#24 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

...the steering arm was re-directed with a knuckle to fit the extractors, thats why its got the ls2...

Thanks

#25 eddii

eddii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

i have no problems with the engineers being picky with the worksmanship. they just have different interpretations with regards to engine the size  :(
Eg. your engineer gave you the approval to fit an ls1 engine, whereas they only told me that they will approve it with max capacity of 5L ,professionally fitted or not :(

your engine package seems reasonably priced. goodluck with the sale.   

#26 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

Posted Image

I can't quite make out the Mod Codes. Could you confirm they are LA1, LB1 and LS2. Could you also provide an image of the plate above the one in the photograph - thanks.

#27 BRK50

BRK50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

yes bottom one is la1 lb1 ls2 and the top is lk1 lk2 for seats being aus approved and fitted correctly. thats how i understood his explanation at the time.

#28 mrp69

mrp69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Tagline:Peter

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

so with that mod plate it means this car is engineered nationally or just in QLD cause i cant seem to find a engineer willing to sign off on this

peter

#29 BRK50

BRK50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

dont know really,
i know i got mine through but it was boarderline.
If others cant get it approved in there car i might have to sell the car complete

#30 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

dont know really,
i know i got mine through but it was boarderline.
If others cant get it approved in there car i might have to sell the car complete

If you sell your car as a going concern in QLD it will still obviously be inspected, but as its already QLD approved it will just be a roadworthy for transfer, so no probs there and by far the easiest solution.

However, I take it you have the relevant paperwork to go with each signed off item / mod / conversion, this is proof that a certified engineer had inspected and passed the mods on the same model car, youll find the RTA in each state will have a list of selected engineers you can have a chat with....most regs are the same Aus wide with a few minor variations here and there, its a case of doing some homework........or you could just tell them its a 5Lt :D

#31 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

I don’t really like to get too involved but this is a topic I know something about and I don’t want to see tears, from either side, further down the track.

This vehicle has been approved to NCOP LA1 which means it is approved to have no more than 20% increase in engine weight and/or power. An LS1 clearly represents more than 20% power and therefore it should have been approved to LA2 requirements.

If the car, as presently modified, is taken interstate (other than NSW) it would have to be re-approved to LA2 specs. There is probably nothing stopping it being approved to LA2 but a buyer should be aware of this. However, as it is only the LS1 components that are for sale then perhaps I’m getting ahead of the game.

Regarding NSW - At this point in time the NSW RTA has still not adopted the NCOP standards and you can only install an engine of 5.3ltr capacity.

I've taken it as a throwaway line but if you think you could pass off an LS1 as a 5.0ltr, then go ahead – the approving engineers will stitch you up good and proper and you would have wasted time, money and effort.

#32 BRK50

BRK50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:54 AM

thanks for that info,

im talking with the engineer today hopefully to find out some finer details about its legality in other states. 

an to clarify how it got through. as before the conversion was started the engineer was consulted on numerous occasions through out the process as to keeping everything legal. I might add i paid dearly for his advice and if wrong he can buy it.

the whole car is forsale selling it complete in qld with a qld mod plate looks like the easiest way. and should know later today a bit more.

#33 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

Interesting thread. I am not up to date with all the rules these days and not sure when they were changed or updated. For what it is worth my V8 then 5.8litre was engineered over 15 years ago in Victoria and I don't think engine capacity was an issue back then. Now it is 6.2litre and no recent RWC or RTA has raised any questions regarding all the below here in Vic. Maybe it is exempt since it was approved so long ago or not an issue after you get the big tick.
Either way I reckon your price sounds more than reasonable for any serious buyer who is thinking of doing a conversion. Good luck with it.

#34 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

I must have this wrong... if you are stating that it's $8,500 for the complete car as is, then that is ridiculously low. Any V8 owner will tell you they cost that much in incidentals alone.

#35 herrods

herrods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

by the way i read the post, the $8500 was for the LS1 conversion bits in a package, and the discussion of selling the WHOLE car came up after that price was posted...  i think

#36 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

Yes that price was for the engine conversion only.

#37 eddii

eddii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yeah I thought the price was too good to be true :) lol
Yes, I reckon it is more saleable if it is for the whole car.
If only I had some spare cash, i would sell my ongoing 240z project car and buy this. It would save me all the headaches with regards to legalities.

#38 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

If only I had some spare cash, i would sell my ongoing 240z project car and buy this. It would save me all the headaches with regards to legalities.

Sorry Eddie, beat you to it.

#39 eddii

eddii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

Very Lucky man ;)

#40 Missinglink

Missinglink

• Members