LS1 engine and 6 speed gearbox conversion for S30 models

RB30X

A local friend of mine is looking at selling his engine conversion in his 240Z and asked me to see if there was any interest on this site. Bascially the original cross member has been modified into a box shape to fit around the large LS1 sump. There is also a mount for the 6 speed, and no doubt a 6 speed to R200 tailshaft. This would certainly make the job very easy for anyone looking at doing this conversion, as you can imagine what it would cost you to hand your car to a shop and say 'make the fit in there'. He is getting some pics to put up soon but if anyone would be interested please let me know and I can put you in touch with him. Ideally he would like to sell engine and gearbox (in great running condition) with the conversion. He is still deciding on a price atm.

cheers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it would be everything for a full conversion, exhaust too I suppose, exhaust, headers, intake set up with pod out the front, engine gearbox mounts, wiring, computer, engine, gearbox, clutch master cylinder adaptor, rip shifter, tail shaft etc.

Ok pics are in. These were taken just after the engine was installed so obviously everything is a bit prettier now with the radiator in and intake piping hooked up etc. This conversion is a bolt in affair. With this package and an S30 you could do the transplant in a day. Keep in mind this conversion has been fully engineered with a mod plate in QLD.

Included is:

air filter and intake pipes(stainless)

Radiator pipes (stainless)

Radiator and thermos

computer and harness which has been base mafless tuned and has been made plug and play for conversion (between 250 and 300KW ATW) 

engine and box (LS1 T56 6 speed done 100 000kms came from VX clubby)

cross members engine and gearbox which sits engine as far back and low as possible and does not require tunnel mods. will bolt straight up to standard body and has had control arm mount holes moved up for better control arm angles and better handling, this is something the engineer who signed off on wanted an made me have a bump steer examination to prove it all safe and got it passed.

full exhaust, custom extractors into twin 2.5  with cross over pipe

tailshaft to suit the 240z and R200 long nose.

Brand new clutch master cylinder, and plate adaptor to use standard 240z clutch pedal and hole in fire wall and use ls1 master

if buyers want the fuel system it might be available depending how much they want to pay, and if you want injected or carby, its a 1200hp turbosmart pressure reg, fed by bosch 044, all fitted up using speedflow fittings and hose through a surge tank. cost shite loads just in fuel system.

There is more i'm sure but there is a good list, ill have more recent pics tomorrow. all the fabrication of cross members, exhausts and intake stuff cost over 5k. motor and box cost 5k and havnt even started on wiring and tuning and thermos.

At this stage he is looking to see what offers he gets and may even be heading down to Brissy soon so he could arrange delivery down there.

01242009004.jpg

01242009006.jpg

01242009005.jpg

P1000563.jpg

P1000562.jpg

looks good, but i hate to be a pessimist here, went to the local engineer last year to do a v8 conversion for my zed and current QLD rules states that you can only fit up to max of 5L engine in S30 (4.4 to be exact plus safety factor due to monocoque contstruction which bumps it up to 5L in total). How did the QLD engineer approve this with LS1?

will the mod plate or proof of approval (statement from engineer) be included with the sale? be interested to find out :) 

Interesting, this mod plate has the S30's serial number stamped on it obviously but I'm sure the actual paper work will be included. Ken (who's selling this) had an engineer work with him through the whole conversion to ensure he wasn't wasting his money the whole time so if there was ever a doubt this wouldn't have happened. This also isn't the first LS1 in an S30 in Aus.

What are the reg's here in melbourne?  Same as QLD for V8?  I am still interested in doing the V8 conversion and getting a "bolt-in" setup certainly has it's appeal.   

Happy to go through the process necessary with an engineer (already found the right guy in melbourne for this sort of thing), but wondering "how hard" it's going to be to get this LS1 through?

Engineer mentioned there were some limitations.  I thought 5L was the max. also.

Hmmm....

Is it something to do with needing bigger brakes to overcome this or is it purely chassis strength setting capacity limitations. Surely some of these RB engines can develop more kw than a standard LS1?

Being approved to fit an engine of LS1 capacity is all to do with using the heaviest S30 in the calculations - think about it.  However, as has been mentioned here, you need to fit appropriate braking capacity and you need a very sound shell to start with. It ain't cheap. but wow what a car.

It is also critical that the powertrain in correctly aligned... it's not a matter of simply plopping an engine in the bay.

the guy who owns this car is also on this site and his nick is BETTLE

great bloke brought my brakes off him as he is upgrading to willwoods, but had is car rego with hilux front set up and 280zx rears

hope this helps

Loui

Peter is right Mick. not ls1. from memory i think its gen4. 6L like RB30X sugested.

i did see the car in person and got few pics of it. fits nicely very nice neat job..... credit to the owner.

now for those that like chevy in their z this looks like a very easy way out. pending price i guess. think of it as 1 weekends work instant power increase.

good luck with the sale.

thanks for putting that up tim,

I wouldnt have known how to even put pics on.

I havnt come up with a price because i really dont know what its worth but im working on coming up with it,

as you can see i lost interest and its been sitting in my carport for 6 months, all covered in dust. have new project thats more my thing as far as car collecting goes an would like to build a house this year so zed car has to go.

my number is 0408 778 952 if anyones interested in talking more about how its done, how i got it engineered, or they got any offers give me a call.

that's great to see that it's legal to fit these engines in S30 in QLD. it is so hard to find info amongst engineers. every one has different opinions on what you can fit in. i spoke to three engineers (meaning: mechanics that do mod plate) in this stinky town and i found out that 1 said max 5L, the other is not quite interested (he couldn't be bothered to read the rule book -too hard), and the last one had been a pain in the butt. he wanted to have every single welds on every modified brackets engineered approved! argh!!

maybe i should go back to them and say, look it can be done :)

Curious as to why it has Rims, Tyres, Suspension & Steering Modification Code LS2 (LS2 is nothing to do with the engine - just a coincidence).

As I understand it LS2 is related to LHD to RHD conversion. Was it something to do with the steering rack?

one of the reasons i got mine passed was because the engineer who signed off on it who is one of the most reputable engineers around knows the guy who fabricated it all and fitted it up. 

He knows the fabricator does not cut corners and is not some back yard knob with out welding skills. this helps when the engineer knows the quality of the work.

the steering arm was re-directed with a knuckle to fit the extractors, thats why its got the ls2

i have a price, im looking for about $8500 ono for it all. that includes pretty much everything, it would just about be impossible to buy the parts for that without any labor. it cost me well over that.

i have no problems with the engineers being picky with the worksmanship. they just have different interpretations with regards to engine the size  :(

Eg. your engineer gave you the approval to fit an ls1 engine, whereas they only told me that they will approve it with max capacity of 5L ,professionally fitted or not :(

your engine package seems reasonably priced. goodluck with the sale.