67 replies to this topic

#1 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

well instead of still going on in the watanbe thread thought a superlite one should be started. i went to a tyre shop today that had a dedicated superlite brouchure, and in it they had pictured both 16X8 and 16X10 wheels! although when called they said that 16X10 were still coming, and the guy said it may b a year or more

So they are currently making 16X8, and they reakon they will fit under both the front and back? personally i thought that with stock susspension the front flares atleast had to be rolled for 16X8 from looking at the rota grid (volk wheel copy) thread on hybridz?

My thoughts are to order a pair of 16X7 with 205/55/16 for the front and 16X8 with 225/50/16 for the rear, and then later on if put the flares on i could just get a pair of 16X10 and put the 16X8 on the front, which would be the setup that ash is using on his car with the challenger style wheels yeah?

this sprinter is running 15X7 and 15X8 and the 8's do have a nicer spoke shape...i do like the staggered sort of look you get from running the different widths, not that its that obvious
Posted Image

so should i just run 7" all round (so they are legal width, but i guess i could aways just chuck on some stock rims if i have issues atm), or 8" all round, as then i can rotate the tyres? i think i will get a pair of each unless another point is raised, and i'll check prices at a couple more shops when i can, although that may mean waiting until my week off...although thats good as i have to pay for the shocks going in this week!

#2 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

I used the same rational for going 16x7 front and 16x8 at the back. If the back ones fit go with that config it will look great and as you said you can use the 16x8 later on the4 front with the flares. If theey were out when I was looking I would have gone for this combo with the superlites ie 16x8 and 16x10.

Go for it dude my vote 7 front and 8 rear!!!

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,656 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

Yeah the larger 16" superlites do look a hell of alot better than the 15" ones. I much prefer the spoke design on those. Do you know what sort of price you'd be looking at for a set?

Can you get them to customised offsets and PCD?

The only complaint I'd have is the Superlites seem to be fairly heavy I'm not sure what Watanabe wheels weigh but they are apparently very light. The Wat's are 'genuine old skool' these are replica's.

However it comes down to pricing I guess. I'd love to see a set in person. I like the idea of buying 8" for the rear and swapping them over later. If its possible with the offsets etc..

:wink:

#4 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:32 PM

the best price so far is $240 for 8" and $230 for 7", so around $940 for a set? so that makes them nearly 1/3 of the price of watanabes if ur going to get the lock nuts and centre caps...which i dont know if these come with, but i think they will be quite nice for the price difference, although if i was working full time i'd go for the wat's as they are the real thing, but i just can't justify it. i'm not sure what offset they would have, but they do say offsets to suit most applications so no idea...will ask at the next place.

i went to another shop after and they said they only come in 7" and silver, where, which i found out, for another $12.50 you can get black centres 8) but i couldn't b bothered arguing as they quoted $250 each and had had enough and needed to do work...

looking at the broshure the guy had at the shop they have redone most of the wheels to look more like panasports rather than the flat disc with some short spokes hehe. so hopefully one day they do bring out the 10" ones as it would be a nice cheap way to get some dish happening.

what offset would you be after gav? as i'll get more details and could ask for you, and yeah getting 7" and 8" seems to b the way to go :D

#5 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

if they fit under the stock guards. 8 and 10, dish and grip is better

#6 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

i think those sizes are only possible under stock guards with coilovers...

anyone know how much a set of panasports are?

#7 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

With the Superlites, as I understand it you can get custom offsets done. And 8" rims will fit under standard guards, just. My racer runs 18"x8" rims all round, the front guards have been pulled a touch to fit the tyres under and the rears have eyebrow flares, again just to cover for racing. On the road I would tweak the offsets a little better for standard. My rims have a little more negative offset than would be needed with standard suspension as I have dropped the spring seats on the strut to lower the car, but keep the same length of spring travel, this gives me less room than on a standard strut as the seat sits a fair bit lower than standard and the rim has to clear this.

#8 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

thanks for the info, looking at more pics of cars here the ones that must have 8" up the front (judging but difference in apperance) look a bit chunky so i think i'll just go for 7's up the front, hopefully i have some time to order them this week

#9 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:10 AM

evan, if you can get a discount on ordering 2 sets... i want x7 front x8 rear...

what offset to they come in, not sure if you can tweak with the superlite offsets thought they just come in one standerd way....

give me a buzz on 0424312768 if you think we can get cheaper if we get 2 sets

#10 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:49 AM

what finish would you want urs in? as i've been told two of them are an extra $50, the charcol and one of the silvers, i can't remember which one as i'm after the charcol anyway :D

what offset would you want on them? i'm happy to go ask if i have time and i guess any place might do it a bit cheaper, so do you want to try a local place to yourself to decide on finsh and find out the offset stuff?

i'll give you a call if i get the time to find out anything, really should b studying for this test coming up...then an assignment...then another thing blah blah blah blah

#11 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

the 16X8 only comes in +12 offset, i've got no idea if this fits or not, they are now saying that i will have issues getting it to fit, where as before they said it could even fit on the fronts...does anyone know if this will fit with this offset?

the 16X7 are also +12...and they dont make either of the 16" wheels with the 4x114.3 stud pattern in any other offset apparently

#12 NickF

NickF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

I might be wrong , but I think the most important measurement is the back space, the offset changes with the width of the wheel so if you know the backspace you will always know if the wheel will fit the hub without fouling the suspension
The maximum backspace is about 113 mm ( correct me if wrong) with standard suspension.

Nick

#13 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

i belive the place belives that the wheel will hit the fender, not the susspension. looking through the pics on hybridz though with them having those 16X8 +10 rota grid wheels it does look pretty close to the shocks, so how do you work out the back spacing? i guess i could find if i look...this assignment i'm diong is stupid...

#14 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

the backspace you can work out fairly closely from offset and rim width.

the offset doesn't neccessarily change with the width of the wheel, unless the manufacturer of the wheel wants to bring the centreline of the wheel in or out. I have a staggered set of Volks in my garage, 16x8 and 16x7, both are +25 offset.

Backspace is measured (from memory) from the mounting surface of the wheel (ie the back of the part where the studs go through) to the back edge of the rim. Offset is measured from the centreline of the wheel, to the mounting surface of the wheel.

Which means, if you have a rim with +12 offset, the mounting surface is 12 mm towards the front (outside edge) of the rim. If you have an 8 inch rim, with +12 offset, take half the width of the wheel, add the offset, and you have your backspace. Or near enough to. In this case, its about 113.5mm. However, the thickness of the rim edge may be also a factor, when calculating backspace from an offset. Either way, it would go pretty close, if the maximum backspace is indeed 113mm on a zed.

Obviously, when you have negative offset, this is subtracted from your half rim width figure to work out backspace.

Ultimately, without physically sitting the rim on, you won't really know if its going to fit, all the calculations will tell you is whether its worth trying. However, with 8 inch rims on the back, its going to be a tight squeeze between gaurd and spring seat - you'll almost certainly want to roll the inner lip of the gaurd up.

#15 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

Yer thats no surprise. The 15x7 I had on the front just fit. From memory the rear 15x7 had about 10mm to 15mm room from rim lip to strutt. I would assume the 16x7's would be the same however I thought they had an offset of +15!?
I've got a vague memory of reading that 240 front strutt diameter is smaller than the 260 as they have smaller diameter springs on the front but might be wrong.

Evan, this is what I would do; find out what offset the 15x7 superlites come in. As I said I thought it would be +15 but might be +12. Once you have this info ask Gav, (seeing he has 15x7 superlites on his car), if he could measure the distance from his inner rim lip to the spring perch and outer spring lip to wheel arch. Once you have these measurements you will know how much room you have. Obviously what you want to hear is that there is at least half an inch on each side so you could fit the 8's on the back. Remember you could always use a small 5mm spacer if you need to push the wheel out a tad but thats assuming there is enough room not to rub on the fender. To create more room to push the wheel out you could also create about 6-10mm by "lipping" the guards on the rear!? It would look good if you could fit the 8's on the back. I still reckon 7's on the front and 8's on the back look nice.

Sulio

Not a big fan of the blue below but just FYI the wheels are 16x7 with 225x16x50.

Posted Image

...and the 15x7's

Posted Image

#16 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

hmmm i'd still like to go with 8" if its possible to fit it in there, how much do places charge to roll fenders? i'd only want to be running a 225 tyre on the back anyway, so that would mean the width up the top would be the same so it should clear? its just if it bottoms out it may hit the fender? and ofcourse the rim may hit the strut on the inside...but it could be spaced out with a spacer (is a spacer just a washer? or something more special?)

do you remember how much space there was on the back of your car sulio? or just the front for some reason? :D as the front i'm after 7" anyway, so the difference between +12 and +15 would be fine, but it is weird that it is different from 15" to 16" then! gav would you be happy measuring it if you have time? and reading the offset sticker on your rims too?

from hybridz regarding rota grid 16X8 +10

"These wheels may even work on a 280z with stock suspension and a 10mm spacer up front. Check the photos to get an idea. I won't be able to check for sure because coilovers are going on before the wheels."

rear:
Posted Image

front with with 5mm spacer:
Posted Image

but then is 280z susspension the same as 260z? its a pity no one seems to have a set mounted with tyres and stock susspension.

i'm pretty sure i'm happy risking it not fitting then use a spacer and flare the guards (as long as its not to expensive, or hard to do, as they will probably end up flared anyway!) i could always just order 1 rim!?!?! hehe i guess a set is more likely to sell if i should choose not to use them...

#17 thehelix112

thehelix112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

I have B45 16" simmons x8 on the back wearing 225 Kumho semi's. +16 offset I believe. They did scrub with the car fully laden with crap to take to the track, but were fine when racing. I have since lipped the rear guards just in case.

I have also put the 8s on the front (as in the following pics) where they clear the lower spring perch by a bees dick. Don't know how they would go with front guard clearance. Will depend a large part on whether you have increased front negative camber. I had to flare the guards about an inch as well as lip them with ~-3.5 camber.

Here are some pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hope that helps,

Dave

#18 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

thanks dave, that helps alot, as that should mean that +12 will clear the susspension side of things if +16 just does as they would sit further out yeah?

how did you lip/flare the guards? does it destroy the paint where you do it? or by lipping it do u mean you bend up the ridge around the inside of the fender?

Posted Image

just found that thanks to google, along with a how to, and thats what i'm trying to say, and i'm guessing its what you were talking about, just i didn't know the name of it! out of curiosity how did you flare the front fenders?

thanks for the info! your car looks nice...are you allowed to just stick your rego sticker where ever you want?

#19 thehelix112

thehelix112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

Evan,

To be honest I was too scared to try and flare/lip myself so I had the local panel beater do it, thinking he'd have some professional whizz bang way.

When I went to pick it up it had the dull paint in the pics around all 4 arches because ``he just hit it with a block of wood from the inside''. Nice. Oh well, its smooth, and works. :)

Dave

#20 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

If you want to roll your gaurds at home, a baseball bat or piece of water pipe will do the job (maybe with a piece of rubber wrapped around it) - just get someone to very slowly drive the car (or push it, if you have a good flat area to do it in), and lever off the tyre with your rolling implement - doing multiple passes is much better than trying to go the whole way in one go. Be careful though, if you are doing it right, the pipe/bat will turn with the tyres movement, be prepared to let it rotate (basically you just hold a firmish downward pressure and let it rotate in your hands), otherwise you could tweak the gaurd or your wrists.

The other way is the gadget that seems to be sold everywhere these days - it bolts to your wheel studs and has a telescopic arm with a rolling wheel at the top - if you hunt around a little, you'll find someone who has one. they are a bit expensive to buy for a single use, and you have to keep resetting the length of the arm, as wheelarches don't generally follow a perfectly circular arc.

Website for gaurd roller - http://www.guardroller.com.au/

And yes Evan - +12 in theory will clear the suspension better than +16. However, not all rims are equal, and as such, one may have a thicker edge than the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users