Gearbox synchros

Hello all!

I just purchsed some synchors from Black Dragon in the states to rebuild the 280zx box that is currently in my 260z.

[part no. 60-851 listed as fitting 280z, 280zx 1977-83 w/5 speed manual & 280zx turbo 3/1981 - 12/81]

But they don't fit and are made of bronze not scintered metal. Apparently all of Black Dragons synchros are made from bronze including the other 280zx box listed:

[parts 60-852 and 60-853 listed as fitting 82-83 280zx turbo w/5 spd manual gearbox)

Does anyone know where i can get scintered metal synchros or if bronze synchros (from the other model listed) will work?

Cheers

• Administrators

Well I'm not sure about the American models and what they got exactly especially in the case of a 280zx. I do know that some were fitted with a Borg Warner 5spd I believe possibly the 280zx Turbo.

In Australia I think the early 240z gearbox from say 1970 - early 72 had the porsche style syncro's in them possibly these were brass not 100% sure about it though.

I currently have a 260z 2 seater box which I believe is difficult or expensive to get synchro's for. So I'm definately interested on where to source these and what part #'s they are.

I just had a look for a possible US gearbox reference but couldn't find it sorry.

• 2 months later...