#21 bryan3976

bryan3976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

that's a nice fd but wouldn't a skyline or silvia also be good car to have fun with

#22 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

I've worked on my mates series 4 rx7 a bit. Is this one a turbo?
They have a lot of dramas and different parts through different models like the diff is weak in some (even turbos models) and the autos are rubbish so you need a manual. Carbon build up etc so you want to make sure the PO drove it like he stole it and not like a grandma.

#23 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,387 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

I've worked on my mates series 4 rx7 a bit. Is this one a turbo?
They have a lot of dramas and different parts through different models like the diff is weak in some (even turbos models) and the autos are rubbish so you need a manual. Carbon build up etc so you want to make sure the PO drove it like he stole it and not like a grandma.

Yeah it's a twin turbo, as far as I know all the FD's were twin turbo. The hitachi units were good but a lot of people convert them to non-sequential turbo which causes a little more lag lower down, but simplifies the engine bay dramatically. Not sure if I would do that, but I must say I really did enjoy the drive in it.

The previous owner seems to have meticulously looked after it, but I'm going to be looking at a few more to get a feel for how different cars behave and compare condition of them etc.. He now owns an RX-8 for the more practical side of things (small children), but says the RX-7 is loads more fun.

This car is pretty stock other than an Apexi-ECU (For Mapping to Irish Fuel - lower octane than Japan), a stainless steel airbox and silicon vacuum hoses (rubber ones tend to crack and cause boost leaks due to heat in engine bay). It's not got the stock wheels, some 17" SSR rims (which I'm not that fond of mind you).

I realise the car could be a maintenance queen, but it will be a weekend toy and something I wouldn't mind tinkering with here and there. If it ends up starting to cost me a fortune I can always reassess ownership and decide to pass it on if need be. I might take a look at a 944 just for comparison, but as much as I like the Porsche marquee I told my g/f if I ever considered a Boxter to shoot me and a 944 isn't far off that haha.

#24 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

Gav if it is any consolation I am about to turn over 250,000kms in my Nissan 200sx R spec I bought new in 2001. I have had absolutely no grief at all with this car being the only major expense, front and rear disc rotors and tyres about every 50,000km. The car is unmodified other than a manual boost switch running at about 11-12lbs mainly for highway overtaking BB transport very smartly.

I am still on original clutch, turbo, fuel injectors and the car basically is still like new and tight and in my opinion is a 4 cylinder Zed in modern day form. I am about to put it on the market for sale but find little else comparable to replace it with in terms of personality maybe an Alfa Brera.

The 944 Turbo I would personally rather purchase provided it has been Porsche serviced. They are a very tight solid thoroughbred car to drive and handle extremely well. They suffer from cracked dashboards and have an awesome inside cabin snarl from the engine.
Lynton 8)

#25 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,387 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

Bit of a revival on this thread I know but came across it while searching for something else and thought it was a good time to give an update.

So as many know I did end up getting an FD RX-7 and I've had it 5 years now. It's been reliable in that time, the only major issue was the original radiator started to leak and was replaced by an upgraded Koyo Radiator, which is recommended anyway given the heat these generate.

The biggest issue I had with the car was that it was stolen and damaged, I spent significant time putting her back together but she's now better than when I started. The rear suspension has started to develop a bit of a click (pillow ball bushes) which is common at this mileage (just over 102,000 km's now). I had to replace a leaky sump (again common) and so far I've resisted modifying it with a big exhaust or upping boost etc..

I have no regrets buying it, fantastic car. In fact I loved it so much I imported it back with me to Australia. I even took it on a drive day a while back.
Posted Image
Posted Image

So why the thread revival? Well a friend recently bought a 944 (non turbo) 83 model and on the weekend I took it for a drive.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have to say I really did enjoy it, what a great little car.  It's been well look after and is a good honest car. Even though it was non-turbo it still went quite well and was really enjoyable to drive. If I didn't have the FD I'd probably consider a 944 Turbo S or maybe the S2 (3.0ltr) N/A version. My friend picked his car up for $10k which I think represents excellent value, I actually can't believe you can get so much car for so little money.

Driving it I noticed a lot of 911 owners were looking at it on the road, I guess that's how many 911s are on the road. They seem like a well built car that's for sure. I was never really a massive fan until I drove 1.

#26 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

Drop a LSx into the FD, best  of all worlds then  8)

#27 hmd

hmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

Gav,

I owned and tracked 944s2, 944 turbo and old 911. The 944 variants are much better handliing cars and much easier to live with on the road and on the track. The best variant to buy is a 968 club sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users