Photo

Z shop melbourne - help - transmission swap. Very happy customer.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Daniel

Thanks for the vitriolic PM's however I have no idea how I have upset you (again) .

I simply agreed that I had once bought a gearbox from Z Spares and it was great and that whilst I may have paid a little too much for work in the past (20 years ago) Lindsay has been nothing but helpful with parts and advice over the past 10 years.

So again I have no idea what you are on about  :(

Please call me if you wish to discuss you have my number

Alan 

#22 Charlie Boy

Charlie Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

As long as Z Shop has used someone else to build it like Stan then it sould be fine!

#23 Fozzy

Fozzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Well, here's the outcome - spent the day at the shop yesterday. Whatever opinions some of you have about the shop and Lindsay's work you are free to have, I can only speak about my experience, which frankly was incredible. I found Lindsay to be very professional and friendly and it's clear he really knows his stuff. I have a fair amount of mechanical experience which he picked up straight away and involved me in every step of the process - we both inspected anything that needed work and were in agreement on everything.

We ended up also replacing the tail shaft as one of the unis was stuffed, we went looking for a knock in the rear end which we decided felt like a sloppy diff, so we fitted a tight replacement - when we found afterwards that the knock was still there Lindsay was happy to leave the new one there as we misdiagnosed it - only charged for half the labour and for the oil. Looks like the noise is coming form a combination of slightly sloppy CVs and the suspension somewhere. Also replaced all the rubbers in the front end with urethane and straightened a bent caster rod. Clutch master cylinder was stuffed too so we fixed that. After a test drive he did a wheel alignment, a tune, inspected all fluids and lights etc and didn’t charge for any of that.

At the end of the day I was honestly a little terrified what the total bill would be as he had 2 other staff along with himself going flat out on it all day – I told him that and was advised he’d look after me. Total bill was just over $1200 all in – honestly I was shocked – was prepared for double that. He charged some things at a quoted fixed price irrelevant of how long it took and the fact 3 of them did the work, and where it was at an hourly rate he charged for 1 hour for 3 guys (not 3 man hours for 1 hour!)

The gear box is tight, slick and silent and the car ran beautifully all the way back to Sydney. Everything came with a written 12 month warranty.

As someone has said above – give someone your time, honour and respect and you’ll likely get it back – being involved in the process helps build a good relationship. On the other hand if you’re a pain in the neck, question all the work based on little personal experience of involvement, and then grizzle about a reasonable bill then don’t expect a good experience anywhere (not saying anyone here has done that nor am referring specifically to the Z shop). Lindsay and his staff bent over backwards to see me out on the road that night in a great car.

I couldn’t be happier with Lindsay and the Z shop and from my experience would go back in a heartbeat and recommend him unreservedly to anyone who asks.

#24 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Iam personal very happy to here that you are happy with the end result. As a retailer its very hard to keep every body happy with your service. It sound like thing are back on track at Linsays. 
regrads
Bruce

#25 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Glad all went well, sounded like a good deal of work for the $$ too.
I have never dealt with Z shop before, so I have no opinion.
Sounds like some have had good experiences, some bad.
Just like any business, whether its a hairdresser or Macca's.
Altough expectation of Macca's should be pretty low anyway, and some hairdressers are HOT!

#26 Fozzy

Fozzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

True that... Why do we all continue to eat that miserable excuse for food???

#27 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Because it looks good and it fast but you forget how bad it taste, a bit like a speed fine.  ::)

#28 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

Great result !

So maybe some of the "so called bad experiences some have had " may be due to expectations rather than actions ? 

#29 Fozzy

Fozzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Possibly - like I said, I can only speak for myself and other's experiences may have been effecting by a range of circumstances. I do think it's a shame though that so often we only hear about horror stories on forums - I make it a point to try and give credit where it's due.

#30 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

I am glad to hear all went well Fozzy. A good plus for Zshop.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users