Regular Donations

• Administrators

I personally don't agree with a surcharge on sales, at this point. We have just introduced a measure which has allowed hosting costs to potentially be covered until end of year (there may be other costs I'm not aware of). The great thing about this site is it's free and cheap (no telling I own a Datsun!), charging more could be risky?

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely keep it in mind. There is a long way to go before I consider charging for classifieds. It's just an option at this stage, but perhaps we could have free classifieds, but charge a small fee for premium.

eg:

Free = ability to list a car for sale with say 3 images.

Premium = always at top of lists and promoted to homepage, with unlimited images.

Just some ideas.

I think it should be possible to get advertising to cover the websites costs eventually. It might mean that more advertising appears throughout the site though. So it would need to be done in a manner which doesn't impact the sites usefulness and annoy existing members. Again not something that will change for a while yet.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gav, I reckon the donation system on the front page has worked fantastic. I probably rose a bit this month in part due to the Vic Club meeting we had at the Jag Club as well. A few people were keen to chip in after that. Hopefully it continues so you are not out of pocket. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Dear Credit Card, I regret to inform you that it's been too long in between donations to ausZcar, therefore you must be punished.. Some $$$ on their way to you Gav  :)

It's been 2 months since the last round of donations, time for another round? Can we kick the bar up to 75%? Time to make use of the Aussie dollar floating around 91c and contribute to Gav's 'buy me a pint' slush fund. Cause the more of us that chip in, the less he has to pay out of his own pocket and therefore, can afford more beer.  :P

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I donated a small amount via Chip In to Gavin but am not listed as a donating member. Didn't I put in enough?  ???

Sorry mate, since I changed the PayPal donation to use the Chip In box on the homepage it no longer notifies me via email of PayPal donations. Thanks for your contribution, I've updated your status now.

For that matter if I've missed anyone else feel free to chime in here and I'll do the same for you.

The chip in feature is good from a-this-is-how-much-we-need perspective but it makes it harder to keep track of who donated.

when i sell my 260z (either parts or whole, ill be giving 5% to this site).

ill put $10 in my paypal acct now(since it takes 3-4 days to transfer) and put it into donation when its cleared.

Because of this site i now have a plan as to wehat im doing so its worth the money!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Thanks everyone who has donated this year and helped cover our expenses. Really appreciate it. If I haven't updated your status to Donating Member then please feel free to use the contact form on the site to let me know your login name on the site, the amount you donated and around what date (so I can look it up in PayPal).

I'm always catching up on PM's and Emails so apologies if I missed yours it's nothing personal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Just wanted to give a heads up on the front page donations bar. Since we met target and exceeded it by $50 last year I started this month (January) at $125. Web hosting is $175 US dollars per month and since the Aussie dollar is almost even with the Greenback I have placed it at $125 (target for January).

$175 - $50 = $125.

So next month if you see the bar at $175 you'll know why they are different (month on month). Just want to be as transparent as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

i was gonna put $10 in last month but work got to me sorry. i have put in $10 as of now :)....via chipin

Updated to donating member status, thanks.

• 5 months later...

An idea for people that I have been doing lately.  If you are selling off a couple of parts that aren't worth much, maybe considering having the other person donate the amount to the website instead.  Saves having to get money together to donate every month or whatever.  Just an idea. :)

• Administrators

Perhaps it could be deposited into the victorian bank account and then transferred?

Here's the link to the thread.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,4283.0.html

Wooo 1900 posts  8)

That's what I usually recommend, it doesn't go toward hosting costs but it helps fund events in Victoria. Unfortunately the only other alternative I have for members outside of Vic is my own personal bank account. If you are ok with that then I'll PM / Email those details?

Gav, you should think about putting a donation link/ad at the top of the main forum index. I rarely go to the main page, and so I don't often think about donating.

I agree. My link to the forum is set up so it goes directly to unread posts, and I rarely venture outside of reading those.

• Administrators

Thanks for the donations this month guys. I've updated members to donating member status where possible. However there were a few of you I couldn't match your paypal email to your Auszcar (email). If you made a donation and your username is still not set to show Donating Member please contact me and I'll update you.

• 4 weeks later...