Kato Kids BMW M3 powered 71' 240Z

KatoKid

Awesome Dave!!  I remember how nervous and strange I felt when my engineer was driving my 240z and stomping on the brakes during the test. No one before or since has driven it besides me.

Get used to lots of staring, pointing and thumbs up, people taking pics at lights, and being bailed up to chat cars every now and then. Without sounding narcissistic, its satisfying for all the blood, sweat and tears that go into these builds.

Re the exhaust: you could always get a silencer for the tip just to help get you through the engineers as a temporary solution. I Dynamated my rear end and it did make a big difference for cabin noise..  

While he was driving it for the brake test a guy pulled up next to him and waved him over, thinking that there might be something wrong he pulled over but the guy just wanted to buy the car! 

I bet that will happen often.

Congrats Dave. You've worked hard to get this car on the road. I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labour for many years to come.

Thanks guys. Still not done yet and I guess I wont feel like its really final until I have the plates hanging on it.

I remember how nervous and strange I felt when my engineer was driving my 240z and stomping on the brakes during the test. 

The engineer did warn me that the brakes will get hammerd.......he did ask if the pads and discs were new as he has had issues with new combinations that haven't had a chance to be bedded in. Luckily the calipers I bought came with near new but certainly used pads, discs were new though.

pack the exhaust with steel wool to make it a bit quiter. my mate copped a defect and was only a few DB over, jammed some steel wool in there and was quite enough to pass. no sense in changing shit over a few DB in my opinion now. he originally tried the baffle plate similar to what you had and it didnt make a difference.

Last big job on the list...well the list never really is completed, is it?

Fitting the radio and aerial has never been my favorite job, not sure why but working with wires in cramped spaces does that for me.

I don't like the look of modern head units in classic cars so went for the Retrosound option. They market a kit for 240-280Z 1970-78 but the fascia panel they supply is not for a 240Z, its close but pretty sure its for a 260Z so I made my own out of 2mm carbon fiber to match the console and I think works pretty well.

post-101170-0-30005000-1508049672_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-64791400-1508049674_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-56653700-1508049676_thumb.jpg

The fascia panel took a couple of hours to make to get the fit just right but it came out well. The aerial is pretty straight forward as I had already run the aerial cable and twin power cables to the back of the car before the interior went in.

post-101170-0-20099000-1508049622_thumb.jpg 

Pretty happy with the Retrosound, it has lots of features and is easy to set up. Best part is Bluetooth for music and hands free phone calls which works really well plus two USB ports that have reasonably long cables for phone charging or other devices.

BMW Club inspection for the plates tomorrow and then I'm totally legal! 

Thanks guys.

Yes inspection today should be just a formality and yep its a Retrosound aerial. 

Not Historic plates unfortunately. Because of the extent of modifications it gets "M" or modified plates but otherwise works the same as "H" plates.

I know it's too late now, but for anyone playing, retrosound also do a powered amp/antenna for full stealth installs. I have this for my charger and it will sit up under the dash so I don't need an antenna external to the car at all. The signal amp is powered from the unit and the antenna portion will sit up under the dash as close to the windscreen as we can get it.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=752

Must be hanging out for good weekend weather now Dave! 

I know it's too late now, but for anyone playing, retrosound also do a powered amp/antenna for full stealth installs. I have this for my charger and it will sit up under the dash so I don't need an antenna external to the car at all. The signal amp is powered from the unit and the antenna portion will sit up under the dash as close to the windscreen as we can get it.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=752

That looks like a good bit of kit.

You took time to take a photo before bolting to the car? You're too dedicated to us on this forum. I was expecting a post in about 5 days when you were coming down from the high of driving it all week.