#1 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

Hi Guys,
Posted here on the site a couple of times...still looking to buy a zed.  Value v's condition is still a big concern for me. Been some great cars available lately, but price in some cases has been higher than I would anticipate.  Either that or condition and mod's (interior/engine) making the cars price  unsuitable for me.  This being the case, my eyes have wandered to more distant places. With Oz $dollar being as is it is, cars in the states have been looking better to me.  Even with delivery (been quoted $1200 from LA), some of these cars are offering excellent value. Particularly, low-rust california cars.
Converting to RHD drive?  Worth it?  Too hard? 
Been trying to think of the pitfalls...
Firewall - will it allow for conversion?  Are the holes there already?
Brakebooster?  Battery? Dash? Wiring looms? Accelerator? Clutch?  There is a bit to move around/replace....just wondering if anyone has bothered before?  Opinions? Stick with local purchase perhaps?

#2 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

You would also need to factor in a lot of extra charges on top of the actual cost of shipping - taxes / duties / GST / customs charges / quarantine / etc / etc. $1200 won't even go close to getting a car here from the states.

#3 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

Yeah - I know that.  Customs charges, GST etc.  Did not know about quarantine charges - makes sense though that they would wanna store it for a period. 

After some further thought I am thinking that getting a 240z from the USA is a bad idea. Forgive me for stupid post...the moment has passed ; )  Even if I can pickup something with everything I want at a great price for US, conversion will be a pain.  Will continue to wait for the right Oz vehicle methinks...
Recently seen some 260z 2+2 pics that are making me think twice about 240z project anyway...
Cheers.

#4 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

No worries - cheapest total price I could find was around $3000, and that was through a friend who imports cars.

#5 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

I've done a dash conversion on a US 240Z (and other odds and ends) to convert to RHD and there are a few more differences. Wipers are on the other side and it's not as simple as swapping a wiper motor and arms; chassis underneath has to be modified. Interior bonnet release has to be moved among other things. A new dashboard and loom will have to be sourced. To me, it's not worth it...I'd leave it left hand drive and enjoy!
If you find a real clean 240 in the US, that's original as for a great price, might be worthwhile importing it and leaving it LHD. If I ever go there that's one thing I'll be on the hunt for...

#6 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

If the imported vehicle is over 30 years old you do not have to convert to right hand drive.
Upgrading of some lighting [headlights to point in the correct direction ] ,seatbelts perhaps and on some cars indicators otherwise it can be kept as is.

#7 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Dimitri, I'm tipping your reffering to Georges car. Yep and you can still notice it's a non aussy car if youtake a walk around it. Reallyt cool to see a US spec'd 240 in person.

Sulio

#8 chartoo

chartoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Here is a guy in Us going the other way

http://forums.hybrid...2&highlight=RHD

After reading this you might change your mind  :o

#9 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Dimitri, I'm tipping your reffering to Georges car. Yep and you can still notice it's a non aussy car if youtake a walk around it. Reallyt cool to see a US spec'd 240 in person.

Sulio

Yep Sulio, Not many people know of that or seen that car...I have some pics when he first brought it to Oz, it was in a sad state to say the least.... Some farm animal was sleeping on the roof and rust was in lots of places...the trick of importing a zed from the US is to bring one without the rust! Excuse the poor quality of the pics..back then I had a .36 Megapixel camera..

Attached Thumbnails

• 13384_b9a20634d16d79d84a4ab2cd9b29d8e5ca0c0326.jpg
  • 13386_bc0ddeef273bb1c110ccbb397b3a89442a63d868.jpg
  • 13382_447389be128c23b59b8dfc5cf0f7ef839e46ca96.jpg
  • 13380_27fe83291dfb75b12a8e03cc431fd0997af75b60.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users