• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OZ001

OZ001

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

i cant seem to find a post for this.. anyone help?
been reading books on this lately but need actual experience to do this any here have done this conversion? can someone lead me through this as its completely different from my 280zx.

#2 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

Externally aren't the engines almost exactly the same?? If you can take the L24 out you can easily put an L28 in. If you want to run EFI you'll need the 280zx computer and airflow meter etc. I'm sure that you could find more info by using the search feature

#3 OZ001

OZ001

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

cant find it

#4 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

First question is do you want to install the L28 with the EFI?

If yes then there is a little work around the loom/wiring and fuel area's but should be simple enough if you have some skills.

Without EFI it is easier, take out the L24 install L28 with manifolds then put on the L24 manifolds ie carbs. If you want to keep it easy just swap over the dizzy also and if the timing is on the mark and you connect all hoses etc up you should be down the road in a few hours 1/2 days work. If you want to run the 280zx electronic dizzy this is a simple conversion again do able in the same 1/2 day.

So real question is EFI or no EFI?

#5 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

As others have said, pretty straightforward bolt in swap.  Just make sure if the L28 is out of an auto and your car is manual, that you fit a spigot bush in the crank, and obviously swap the flywheel + clutch over!

The worst things if you keep the EFI is working out where you want to hide the ECU, what to do about mounting the air flow metre and air filter, and for some people working out what wires to connect to what.  Also having to setup the fuel system for EFI is a little time consuming.

#6 hunterzed

hunterzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'll grab the fuel pump and anything else I can think of for you as well when I send or bring down the loom, airflow meter and ECU. Do you have the workshop manual for a 280zx with the wiring diagram? If not you can download it from here.

http://www.xenons130.../reference.html

I'd definately head down there to give you a hand if I had the time but things are going to be a bit of a rush while I'm on break this time. The engine and everything is the easy part to just bolt in and as NZeder said you can bolt on your carbs etc and run it like that. If you want to run the EFI then you'll need the wiring diagram to run power to the ECU and Fuel pump. But it isn't too hard. You don't need torun all the pollution gear either so if you have a look here you can see what you  need nad don't need to run for vacuum.
http://forums.hybrid...ad.php?t=156720
Hope this helps. ;)

#7 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

I have done the L28 swap into a 240z with EFI. There is one more consideration. If you are installing the 280zx gear box you might need to have a drive shaft modified as you won't be able to use the 240z unit as it has a flange on both ends. You won't be able to use the 280zx unit as it will be too long.

#8 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Greg, only the very early 240Z's (with the 71A gearbox's) have the rear output flange.
In the later 240Z's they used the 71B gearbox's which don't have the flange.

#9 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

cool, mine is an early 240z.

#10 OZ001

OZ001

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

i will attempt to take out the L24 this sunday by myself... hope it all goes well.

#11 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

You may have to do a sump-swap too, depending on what the L28 is fitted with.

It's really a no-brainer physically, which you will discover once you get tinto it!

#12 OZ001

OZ001

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

You may have to do a sump-swap too, depending on what the L28 is fitted with.

It's really a no-brainer physically, which you will discover once you get tinto it!

sump!!!! what do u mean sumo swap? why would i need to swap it??? what sump of what car do i replace, if i need to replace it?

#13 hunterzed

hunterzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

You shouldn't need to swap the sump. Even if you wanted to swap it you could just put the sump from your L24 onto it. ;)

#14 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

L28 came with 3 sump configuration depending on the car the L28 was getting installed into.

The 240z/260z/280zx all require rear sumps. So you need a L28 fitted with a rear sump to be a straight swap without removing the sump and installing the sump of the L24.

The other sump configurations were mid sump - used on JDM sedans aka 280C/Laurels etc

Then there was the Front sumps used on the later L6 power cars. Most LD28 we find here in NZ are Front sump configs as these come from late 80's Laurel aka C31

#15 hunterzed

hunterzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Engine came out of one of my 280zx's. ;)

#16 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

You shouldn't need to swap the sump. Even if you wanted to swap it you could just put the sump from your L24 onto it. ;)

What he said ;D

Don't stress - all I meant is that you may have to fit your L24 sump & pickup onto the L28. If you for some reason had a front-bowl engine, then you would also have to extend the oil pickup.

But since you have a rear-bowl 280ZX engine, then all will be well!

#17 OZ001

OZ001

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:35 AM

phew!!! learn something new everyday. everything is disconnected now i forgot to get an engine hoist on the day... AARRRGGHHH!!!! oh well nx weekend project :P

#18 OZ001

OZ001

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

ok so far... ive taken the l24 out and L28 gearbox is still on the car. this weekend the gearbox should be taken off and to be attached to the L28. do i use the engine mounts from the l28? or do i use the mounts from the l24??? they look the same but not quite sure. anyone wanna come over to help  :-[?  doing this by myself  :'( gets abit lonely

#19 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

would help to know where you live, if you're Melbourne I'll try and give you a hand.
Rev.

#20 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

I can help too.. depends on your location...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users