Only high beam works (280zx)

dave_hl

I'm having trouble with my high beams as when i go to switch on the headlights they will go to parking lights fine but then when i switch it further, instead of going to normal beam it goes straight to high beam.

I have tried fiddeling with it a bit and tapping it and moving it in all directions incase a switch was a bit crappy but nothing seems to really work.

I then started pulling the surrounds of the dash where the steering wheel is off to see if i could locate the problem, but it seems there is something holding the top and bottom pieces together on the left hand side just infront of the windscreen wipper button.

Has anyone encountered a high beam problem like this or know how to finish taking the front bit of the dash off?

cheers.

dont all reply at once.. haha.

anyway i had a bit of a fiddle this avo after uni and pulled out the headlight sensor relay box thingy just in front of the front right suspension and it seems to click when i turn the headlights on and looks all in order but there are 2 coil things in there with a little bit of wire on the tops of each sticking out looking like they're supposed to be joined. but not sure, anyone know off the top of their head how its sposed to look in there?

but my bro thinks its up in the dash, some corroded switches etc which was my first thought, so i guess ill have another go at pulling the dash around the steering wheel off to see whats up.

peace.

Hi

We are not ignoring you, so don't feel bad. It is just that 280ZX is in the minority here so the regular posters won't be much help when it is ZX specific.

Hopefully some of the other ZX owners will help.

Cheers

Warren

yeah nah i realise that, wasn't totaly expecting people to be of that much assitance. But ive managed to get into the headlight button bits in the dash and i think i have fixed the problem, one of the buttons was really stiff so i just pushed it heaps and i think its ok now.

the only problem now is that when i pulled the headlight stick out there were these 2 small cylinder shaped metal things that fell out with it which i think act as some sort of hinge/pivot for when you pull back to flash the headlights and when you push forward to get high beam.

Does anyone know how/ exactly where they go back in? really quite fiddely and fustrating. i can take a photo and post it if that helps.

thanks.

• 5 months later...

Hiya,

Know the feeling, mine ended up being worn as would be expected due to age. The Nissan Bluebird has the same setup, picked up a replacement reasonably cheap. Not a great deal of help I know but its an alternative.

sid,

are you saying you had the same problem as me with the highbeams being stuck on? i ended up finding the series of buttons that the stick presses to make high beam, normal beam, and parkers and then cutting a few millimetres of the one wich is needed to push for high beams, so now its harder for the sphere-shaped plate to push that button. dunno if that helps.