29 replies to this topic

#21 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

From memory you have to notch the chassis rail on an S30 to clear the turbo on a VG. They aren't a horrible motor, just one with a tendency to pool fuel in the valley...
(which is not uncommon for a lot of 'early' EFI vee engines)

#22 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

I think i would rather fit an after market turbo manifold than notch the chasiss rails. There is always a way around things.
Now i might shut up before i talk  my self in to doing this conversion my self lol

#23 waxhead

waxhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:36 PM

Put in one of these
Posted Image

#24 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

I personally agree with Peter ....LS1 for bang for your buck..
but Im ol skool and prefer L28.
On another note, following a discussion with the local Zed guys, we believe that interpretation of the RTA rules only allows a 2.4 to be increased to a max allowable capacity of 3.1 litres...
I know Simon (rhino73z) obtained a copy of the RTA engineering bible and I trust his knowledge regarding this. Im sure this applies to the ACT & NSW. can someone confirm. ???
If your considering a large increase in capacity , do your homework as we think if your engineer hasnt already made an application you "may" be cactus.

#25 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

Here are the NSW regs. When I read them (some time ago) an alternative engine's capacity was related the the car's weight not OEM capacity but read them yourself to make sure. You can increase the capacity of an OEM engine by 15% without the need for approval - that might be where the 2.4 to 3.1 was calculated, although I calculate that to be 2.76 and a 2.8 to 3.24.

http://www.rta.nsw.g...ns_nov_2007.pdf

Most other states are now signed up to the National regs which calculate capacity limits differently.

http://www.infrastru...n/vsb_ncop.aspx - See NPOC3

At this point in time an LS1 240Z cannot be registered in NSW but can elsewhere. If NSW don't adopt the national regs by the time I'm ready for registration I'll be in deep excrement!

#26 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:47 AM

Peter can you not dig up info on the scarab given these were market in the US and sold at selected nissan dealerships with a warranty along side the stock 240z. And due to the numbers made surely you could state your car is a scarab replica and try and get it through that way?

I now here in NZ going to a L28 in a S30 chassis is a non issue as nissan sold a S30 with the L28 with the same brakes and suspension (only the booster was changed) this was the US/CA 280z model. So you are only doing what the oem did in the first place.
  • datoman likes this

#27 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,401 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

Peter can you not dig up info on the scarab given these were market in the US and sold at selected nissan dealerships with a warranty along side the stock 240z. And due to the numbers made surely you could state your car is a scarab replica and try and get it through that way?

I now here in NZ going to a L28 in a S30 chassis is a non issue as nissan sold a S30 with the L28 with the same brakes and suspension (only the booster was changed) this was the US/CA 280z model. So you are only doing what the oem did in the first place.

Interesting point Nzeder, I was under the impression that Scarab Z's were sold by an external company and not through dealers though? I'm probably wrong, the only reference to this I have is in Brian Long's book. However it seems to mention that the cars left Scarab Performance works.

If you were able to register a vehicle in this way, certainly it would be eligible for racing like this would it not?

#28 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:49 AM

The application for 240Z approval in NSW was made by the importer, Capital Motors (Arnold Glass - for those of you who go back that far), and not the manufacturer. Therefore, it is possible that a Scarab 'model' was approved as distinct from a unique imported vehicle. Unfortunately there is no such listing with the RTA suggesting that any Scarabs in Australia were unique imports, which raises another fundamental question; were there any sold new in this country and in particular, in NSW?

matsdat - my apologies if the thread had gone too far OT.

You certainly have an advantage with registration approval in SA. There is a chap there running around with a 6.0ltr (LS2) in a 240Z.
  • ric240z likes this

#29 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

Yes back to the thread topic.

So L28 would be cheaper to do in the long run due to the easy of install, no custom engine mounts, no custom headers (for NA application), no custom gearbox cross member for the 71C box (unless you want to run a 71C box ;) ) and if the info about 15% larger is the case no engineer required if you start with a 260z 2 seater 2565cc + 15% = 2949cc the L24 does not get there as it is 2cc short of the stock L28 size :( 2393cc + 15% = 2751cc and the L28 is 2753cc :(

So look like a 260z 2 seater would be the better base model car to start with given your local RTA rules and the 15% thing - funny really as the early 260z 2 seater shell is almost the same as the 73 240z - so how can you be ok with a 74 260z with up to a 2949cc but a 73 240z only 2751cc not even a L28 :(

#30 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:49 AM

Put in one of these
Posted Image

No stick one of these in ;)
Posted Image
The AUTECH RB26DE 220hp 10.5:1 and still room for improvement ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users