28 replies to this topic

#21 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

i'm just confused as the ppl on the honda forums all like their 16" tyres and say that 17" aint legal (or mayb they are saying it effects their vtec? hehe), but the 16's r, and they had 14" stock, so same boat we're in. but then i can't find anythign that says that 17 isn't legal, just the overall diameter

When buying aftermarket wheels dont forget the maximum you are allowed to increase track .MAX 25mm!

track being the outside distance between both wheels or something else? wouldn't this be pretty hard for them to measure? and this would make flares pretty pointless yeah?

my gf works on chapel st and gets to watch lots of nice cars get pulled up out the front and get caneried.

#22 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:38 PM

Unless the wheels or tyres exceed or stick out further than the body of your car there is nothing illegal with them. They can be any size. In fact I am getting 19" rims to replace my 17's in the next 6 months. As long as they are under my guards the police won't have a problem. I dare say the police were pulling the cars over for any reason like they do. And then just trying to find anything to give them a yellow sticker. As we know if they want to pin you for something they look until they find it.

#23 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Evan, If you are strapped for funds you might just want to stick to 16's or 17's that fit under stock fenders. I had 17x7 on my car for ages and never got hassled.
Is your car back on the road yet? Have you got the new springs in front and back?
I wonder if anybody has had the 16" superlites fitted to a Z yet?
Posted Image

Sulio

#24 RUSSJZ-ZED

RUSSJZ-ZED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

You can put 17,18,19s on, so long as you dont exceed the rolling diameter limit(plus width, plus track limits.)
NSW RTA has an information sheet ,Vehicle Standards Information (number 9) tells you all you need to know to be legal, It's all ADR based so Vic Roads should have something similar) NSW motor registries have them, I think it is also up on their website.

#25 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

i just dont really want to spend the money on some rims and then be defected for them as the last defect hurt me $$ wise enough! but i guess it woudlnt be anywhere near as bad this time!

the rear shocks are yet to go in, as the place is booked up, the rear currently defineatly does sit up atleast an inch higher than the front, and its alot softer too so will be good to get it evened up

since the 3 peice are only another 800 or so i think i might just get them, but then i was thinking for while i'm still on my p's get the 16X7 superlites and then in a year or so buy the 3peice wheels and use the superlites for if i ever was defected assuming they would fit over any brake upgrade i did before them, and they themselves are actully legal, but then even that depends on alot of stuff...so sort of talking in circles! i have the flares just sitting here so i guess i should use them! but am considering if it would hurt the resale price of the car as i might have to sell to get a cheaper to drive daily driver for next year (as much as i woudlnt want to, but its still an option)

#26 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Well if you want a daily driver that you can use for as long as possible then the most logical choice would be to get the 16" superlites.

- This would mean you would have minimal hassles for RWC.
- The wheels are well priced.
- You don't need to spend additional cash on body work for flares, ie cutting and welding rear arches.
- As a daily driver the superlites would be a little lower key in the way of strees for theft. I know your still at school and you've gotta park all over the place so it can be of concern. When you finish uni maybe then think about modifying the car as much as you like, ie flares, wide wheels etc.
- You retain the period look with those wheels like the yellow car above and now that it will be sitting lower the addition of a set of wheels would look pretty tough.
- Seeing the car would still have a period look with superlites you will avoid police more than a set of really wide 17's with flares. Lie low whilst your on your P's!
- Once you fix your car up if your plans are to buy a "cheaper" car at a later point be careful, as once the Z is fixed it can be a very reliable daily driver. I used mine as a daily driver for about 5 years and never had any issues. If you buy a cheap bomb it could cost you if it's a lemon. Z's are relativley cheap cars compared to going out and buying a new Barina or Corrolla say which would deprciate a huge amount real quick.

My rational for the points above, based on my experience, is to enjoy the car as much as you can now. You need to be realistic about what you will and can achieve so your motivation does'nt burn out. Having the car sit in the garage for too long can turn into a real bummer. Get some nice wheels to get it looking nice and just drive it for the next few years. It'll look good, you'll have fun and if you've still got it in afew years and your making good money then go ape shit with it!

Sulio

#27 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:24 PM

you sure give a good argument for what i was already half thinking, then i half want the wide rims, i just held the flares up against the car and it looks soooo nice, but yeah mayb to much attention for a daily driver with p plates!

i'm going to put my xenon lights back in so i can actully see again, as stocks are scary dark, so thats making me think since i can get defected for them, i may as well have rims taht i can be defected for...but then superlites still sell for a reasonable price second hand so wouldn't b a huge loss if i changed my mind, and easier to change my mind about the rims than uncutting the flares! which i'm sure my neighbour would help out with so it wouldnt b a huge issue after that write up on hybridz

the zed has been pretty cheap to run while i've had it, its just really been petrol thats becoming an issue, which is where it would have been good if a tow truck driver hadn't gone into the back of the crx...although its at the age where things are just starting to break. it would take a fair bit of stuff to go wrong with the zed to reach the price of buying a newer car though!

i think i should just hurry up and do one or the other already!

#28 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:31 AM

hey all i was just reading bout u wanting to use wider tyre but the width may attract police due to the flair but these anothe option that u could do that gives u flairs but make it look standed when i bought my zd it had flaired guards but they look like it how the car is supose to be u couldnt even tell they wherent ment to be like that heres some pics i gotta get some better 1ns since the old zd looks better :lol: btw im using 235/14"/55 high

pauly

Attached Thumbnails

• 548_.jpg
  • 547_.jpg

#29 RUSSJZ-ZED

RUSSJZ-ZED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:48 AM

If you are buying new superlites, they can be ordered from the factory with an offset that will keep your track legal.
I'm on 5 stud so wheels easier to find second hand from Nissans,Toyota, Ford, I scored a set of cheap 16X7 Ford mags with the right offset from ebay for those times I need to be Legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users