28 replies to this topic

#1 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:59 AM

i am just reading http://www.vicroads....dsafe/VSI 8.pdf and the section on wheels says replacement wheels cannot be more than 25mm (1"?) greater than the widest wheels specified by manufacturer, then it says the overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be more than+ or - 15mm than standard, but must be in accordance with recommendations in some manual.

what is the size of the stock rims on a 240/260z? 14X6 or 7?

the bit on replacement engines says "an engine which is not of the same type offered by manufacturer of the vehicle as orginal, but is similar in power, weight, and emission standards to that of the orginal engine may be fitted - provided no alternation of the vehicles frame or strucutre is involved (in which case a certificate must be supplied) would this mean since you can mount an rb engine using its stock mounts (just it puts it in a dodgy place) that this wouldn't need a certificate? hehe

#2 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

The stock mags supplied were 14x6, however, and I don't know how successful you would be though, the 240Z were homologated for racing with 7 8 and 10 inch wide rims so you might be able to say that these were standard sizes.

#3 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:00 AM

1. evan if you get scrweed for to big rims you'll be screwwd for a few other things on the car... keepy some stockies for the occasions where u can get stuffed over...

2. just get what size wheels you want... as legally 15x7 is the max u can go... but the Z doesn't have a tyre placard, nor does it legally need to have one, so they won't have any grounds to stand on if you get pulled over...

3. id like to see you get a Rb in the car, and get pulled over and say that rule to the officer and see what he fines you for next, and if u took the fine to court, can't see you beating it... but up to you.... if you can afford to put a Rb in the car and maintain the car, you can afforrd to get a engineers, and if you can't then you are doing the job half arsed and to cheaply, to have a desired outcome that you will like

#4 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

i was looking up what a placard is and came aross this "From January 1, 1974, all vehicles that comply with Australian Design Rules (ADRs) have a tyre placard attached" which should mean my 260z has one, but i cant' see it (although it is dark, or could of just been removed?)

and yeah i'd keep my stock rims, just would need a set that would clear any brakes i end up using, therefore i was thinking get some superlites in the largest legal size and then have a nicer set 8) but sounds expensive hehe

i wouldnt put in an rb without an engineers, just was thinking it was an interesting statement, for a sprinter do u need an engineers for putting in a 4age?

#5 biggels240z

biggels240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

The tyre placard was the reason my 240 failed its roadyworthy , my car has one in the glovebox lid which the mechanic didnt check , i am under the impression that all zed should have one to meet the australian standards

#6 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:13 AM

when i put my 4age into my sprinter, i didn't get a engineers,but its basically like putting a L28e into a Z, just got a differant head, as its a 4a still kinda thing, and engine numbers all start with 4A?????? etc etc... so it was all good with vicroads, but im sure if i got pulled over with it with a copper who knew his shit id get screwed but i didn't really care... and didn't get pulled over either....

as evan said 1 74, i forgot you had a 76 evan.... my 73 doesn't don't have the glovebox to the 74 to check.... but as i said before, if u get busterd with to large of rims, get the fine, and just get a roadworthy with the stockies u got i spose, and if ur car isnt roadworthy, it shoudn't be on the road anyway, so yer, just makes u fix the shit thats wrong with your car.. etc etc

#7 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

Hi Evan,

just wanted to post cool well priced wheel that i found a bit of talk about on hybridz. look cool, comes in 16 and 17 just not sure if available in australia but check out below! the yanks are paying about usd650 for the set of four of these and they fit a z!
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.autornd.c...products_id=170

http://forums.hybrid...t=102801&page=2

#8 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,395 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

Hey Sulio those wheels are alright, they are a mock up of these wheels.
(See images attached).
The real deal go for $3,500 - $5000 for a set of 4. Yes expensive, but doesn't stop me wanting a set :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 524_.jpg
  • 523_.jpg
  • 522_.jpg

#9 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:57 PM

yeah rota make some nice copies, i wasn't able to find any places in australia that sell them, but some come up for sale every now and again. i wonder what offset is on them, tried reading though the hybridz thread quickly but to confusing! postage is around the US$400 mark so i personally dont think i'd bother, and get some proper 3 peice instead later on

#10 RUSSJZ-ZED

RUSSJZ-ZED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

First post.
Mags fitted to 1976 Z were 5.5X14, in NSW max wheel widening over standard size is 1.5 inches, which means 7 inch is widest (legal) wheel. I'm fairly sure this is also an ADR,if it is, that's max in all states.

#11 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:32 PM

thanks for the info russ, it was you that got me thinking about it all

#12 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

I don't think Z drivers need to abide by those laws :wink: !

#13 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:05 AM

have you had any issues sulio? i guess ur car isn't driven that often though and it doesn't have a P on it to attract negative attention.

#14 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:02 PM

no issues.

#15 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

well u could always say the largest wheels that where on the zds where bigger , just make up a yr and say they bought them out , they haveto prove they dont exist and if they do prove they dont i got some rims that are 235s with the datsun logo on them

pauly :D

#16 RUSSJZ-ZED

RUSSJZ-ZED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:34 AM

NSW rules,Does not really matter what you tell them, all the information from when the compliance for the model was approved is on RTA computer,wheel size,,weight, track,engine size/type, the lot.Unless you are carrying an engineers certificate that varies what they have,( the original MUST be carried at all times- offence not to carry it) you get a defect , If they really don't like you, you also get to walk home.
NSW police cars are now being equiped with direct access to RTA computer, GOTCHA! in 5 seconds.It also will give them a list of your (legal) mods. hope you have your eng/cert with you.
Even when their basic information is wrong, thats what they go by. I had aZ32 2 seat, which their computer said weighed (from memory)1550Kgs, on a weighbridge it was 1400.Their information was for the only model originally complied, 4 seater(still is)
To get it varied, you need an engineers letter accompanied by a weighbridge certificate,This actually gets the car into a lower cost registration due to reduced weight.The fact that one car proves their info wrong, does not update the computer, anyone that comes along later has to start at the beginning with a weighbridge certificate.
Wasting your time trying to fudge it. Have legal spares to swap in to clear defects,pay the fine, try again.

#17 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

it's sad they dont atleast update their data base when proven wrong for the sake of other drivers then...

just wondering how the diameter limit gets worked out, as i could only find info on the total rolling diameter. i'm starting to think about buying a set of superlites again as i dont have the balls to cut the fenders just yet, but i'd prefer 16"s, but then if i can get screwed over for having them i may as well just wait.

so sulio have u been breath tested or pulled over by the cops with the rims on so they've had an opportunity to say something about them?

#18 RUSSJZ-ZED

RUSSJZ-ZED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:05 AM

This is from the NSW RTA "Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres"
It does not give the number of the ADR but states "the outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle"
Tyre placard on 1976 Z specifies 195X70 series on 5.5X14 rims.
The miatanet tyre size calculator gives a diameter of 628.6mm for this tyre, plus 15mm , Max diameter/height is 643.6mm
For comparisons of other sizes you can use, check the calculator
www.miata.net/garage/tyrecalc.html
When buying aftermarket wheels dont forget the maximum you are allowed to increase track .MAX 25mm!

#19 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:01 AM

G'day Guys,
I was reading this thread and was surprised that you are talking about Cops giving you an unroad worthy for larger wheels. I have never heard of this before. For insurance purposes maybe but not legally. I have 17x9" on my can and have been pulled of in the car about 6 times and never has one of them ever mentioned anything about wheels being to big. Never gotten a canery but one prick tried to pin me on the tyres missing a bit of rubber, but he didn't push it. Even with the V8 in it they just ask me if I have an engineers certificate for it which I do. I tell them so and they leave it at that. Not sure if they can check it when calling though the rego. You might even get away with it with another 6 in it. But the guy was right if you can't afford an engineers certificate you really can't afford an engine plant replacement if it is going to be done properly.
I say go for the bigger wheels and shouldn't have any problems.
Cheers

#20 RUSSJZ-ZED

RUSSJZ-ZED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

We also have the RTA random roadside checks,set up booze bus like, pull cars in and check them for EVERYTHING!, Also , the EPA inspectors , they can get you for emissions, last year they parked outside a Toyota club meet, and pulled people on their way out , anyone with a non standard engine obviously did not have factory exhaust systems. They can also pull you for noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users