34 replies to this topic

#21 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

By the way, given unsprung weight is so vital to handling, does anyone know the weight of Watanabe wheels in 15 and 16"
diameter?

I spoke to Ben Zed and he said the Rota Grid is 9kg, and Rota RB is only 7.5kg ... both these are getting pretty light.

Despite aesthetics, weight will form a big part of my decision.

Adam.

Adam,

For a road car the difference won't be too much between good quality rims that are only a few kg apart. If you are really serious about unsprung weight then you will also be looking at saving weight with changing your standard brakes for light weight calipers and hubs with nice two piece rotors and hats to reduce the weight.

Reducing unsprung weight really only becomes and issue with race cars where a small weight cahange can really upset the balance of a highly tuned suspension system, think open wheelers and some sports cars (Le Mans prototypes).

I run Simmons wheels as my dry set up which weigh around 8-9kg. I couls have go the light weight rims fitted to the centre which would have saved me about 2kg a wheel, but the trade off is strength. I wasn't chasing the time that the weight saving would provide for having to replace rims a lot more often from hitting ripple strips and so on on the track.

#22 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

For the exact set as seen on this thread by Kent, ie polished lip 16*8 and 16*8.5 the price is A$3500.

Ouch, gutted.. So much for my pipe dream of 2 grand for a set of wats.  :(

Gonna be a long time before I can afford that for the wheels

#23 Kent

Kent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Sit down before reading this Gents ...

Miki e-mailed me just now after chasing up the quote last night.
For the exact set as seen on this thread by Kent, ie polished lip 16*8 and 16*8.5 the price is A$3500.

wow, quite an increase (not a surprise though).. i paid around $2500 for mine when i got them back in mid 06 (yen was around 81 at the time)

glad i got them at the time!

what offsets where you looking at?

#24 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

Ok bathroom scales say the following

225/50/16 Toyo Proxes T1R on RS Watanabe 16x8.5 -6 = 18KG
245/45/16 Toyo Proxes T1R on RS Watanabe 16x9.5 -19 = 20KG

I hope this helps - sorry I don't have the car with the 16x8 +10 Rota RB-R anymore to compare (my old race car)

#25 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Kent & NZeder

Not sure what offset I need, however I know I want 16X8 and 16X8.5 and I note that BenZed has bought those exact wheels to put on his narrow bodied Z. Never really got a handle on that offset thing really.

I will write to Ben in due course to see what offsets he used ... In the mean time I'll get saving and pray for the yen to appreciate !!!!

I'm getting my car on a truck this week just in time for the Easter long weekend ... sight unseen !!!

#26 twincharged

twincharged

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

My rs8 weight is 5kg, for the bar rim and the 15 x 6.5. Haven't weigh them with a tyre on
Trent

#27 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Tagline:Ken & Mary suggest carbon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

All weights and prices are at www.watanabe.com.au

#28 Jackmc

Jackmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

8 years later.. and I have a new avenue for all of you.

much much quicker, and well below 3k!

Check out thewheelcompany.com.au for more info or message me, cheers!

Edited by Jackmc, 25 October 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#29 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,654 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

8 years later.. and I have a new avenue for all of you.
much much quicker, and well below 3k!

Check out getmywheels.com.au for more info or message me, cheers!

Jack I'm semi weary of approving first posts that flog goods. What are you offering that say ordering direct via Watanabe doesn't offer?

#30 Jackmc

Jackmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Jack I'm semi weary of approving first posts that flog goods. What are you offering that say ordering direct via Watanabe doesn't offer?

Understandably. I am offering 5 - 10 days wait opposed to 4 - 5 months.

• gav240z likes this

#31 theremm

theremm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Understandably. I am offering 5 - 10 days wait opposed to 4 - 5 months.

How are you able to offer these lead times for new orders? I'm enquired last week actually and was told from watanabe a 4-5 month turn around on new orders. Do you already have your own inventory of wheels you have purchased previously?

#32 Jackmc

Jackmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

exactly! it's too long.
I DHL them from a seller in Japan. takes 1 week to get to sydney.

I have done 5 sets for myself and friends and 3 sets for customers.

#33 Shaun05

Shaun05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

I think I can weigh in here, to try an ease some scepticism amongst potential buyers.

I was pretty wary when I first saw Jack' for sale post on Gumtree. I had searched for a set for a while, always coming up with the same result. Exorbitantly expensive and massive lead times (5 months when I enquired). After pestering Jack with a bunch of questions, I decided to get a set. 

I have just purchased some Gunmetal Black 16x8 0 offset wheels from Jack. He was very forthcoming with the information provided, got my order processed extremely quickly and I had a set of wheels delivered to my door, from Osaka, Japan in 5 days (no sh1t). Overall, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. At $1195/pair delivered to your door in that amount of time, I think you'd be hard pressed to do any better.

Disclaimer: This is not a paid advertisement.

Edited by Shaun05, 21 October 2017 - 10:18 PM.

• gav240z and GongZ like this

#34 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

$600 each per rim, thats not a bad price, compared to what they used to sell at, here.

#35 Jackmc

Jackmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

I think I can weigh in here, to try an ease some scepticism amongst potential buyers.

I was pretty wary when I first saw Jack' for sale post on Gumtree. I had searched for a set for a while, always coming up with the same result. Exorbitantly expensive and massive lead times (5 months when I enquired). After pestering Jack with a bunch of questions, I decided to get a set. 

I have just purchased some Gunmetal Black 16x8 0 offset wheels from Jack. He was very forthcoming with the information provided, got my order processed extremely quickly and I had a set of wheels delivered to my door, from Osaka, Japan in 5 days (no sh1t). Overall, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. At $1195/pair delivered to your door in that amount of time, I think you'd be hard pressed to do any better.

Disclaimer: This is not a paid advertisement.

Stoked your happy with your wheels Shaun!
Keen to see a picture of how they look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users