electrical problem (regulator?)

ok here's the scenario:

Had a hard day at the motorkhana. Drove home stopped a couple of times along the way. The last few times I started the car it did seem to labor a bit. I should have realised something was up.

I went to pick my wife up and blaaaaa the car dies along the side of the road. It had gotten dark by this stage so I had the lights on. I figure I had been running on battery for most of the day but running the lights broke the camel's back.

I don't think it is the alternator because I had it rebuilt 18 months ago. Its not the battery because if the alternator was working I should have been able to contiue to drive. So I think it is the regulator.

Here's my plan. I think I have a spare alternator at home. So I will swap it over and see if I get any charge. If not I will need to source a new external regulator.

Here is my question. Are external regulators available and are they cross compatible across makes and models?