28 replies to this topic

#21 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

I may have missed something, but isn't the pupose of the adapters so that the original Zed halves can be used?

I've done a little research and 3.9 diffs are in the 01-06 STi's.  Before this they were 3.44 and after they were 3.54.
Gotitrex has the 3.9's for $750 (93180550).  That would mean a solid LSD for about $1500 with the US stubs.  A bit of $$ but from my research and understanding a good LSD will massively improve the handling of a tweaked Zed. (Prob more that $1500 into the engine)

#22 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

The cv talk is in relation to my original plan. There is another guy on Hybrid who has adapted the subi cv's to fit in the rear of a z. These other 'adapters' from JohnC weren't available at the time. I still plan on doing the cv's in my 240z and using the adapters in my 2+
2 eventually. For the meantime, it will be going into my 240.

Also remember that a relatively 'bolt in' r200 lsd goes for around $1000. Sure you can get lucky and get one cheaper but it's not that common. I paid $300 for the subi lsd + $605 for the adapters so for $905 I've got a lsd that's lighter than the r200 (I assume) and only 9 years old max.

#23 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

The cv talk is in relation to my original plan. There is another guy on Hybrid who has adapted the subi cv's to fit in the rear of a z. These other 'adapters' from JohnC weren't available at the time. I still plan on doing the cv's in my 240z and using the adapters in my 2+
2 eventually. For the meantime, it will be going into my 240.

Also remember that a relatively 'bolt in' r200 lsd goes for around $1000. Sure you can get lucky and get one cheaper but it's not that common. I paid $300 for the subi lsd + $605 for the adapters so for $905 I've got a lsd that's lighter than the r200 (I assume) and only 9 years old max.

did you get your lsd off eBay?  great price.  I never thought I would have 'diff envy', but I do >:(

#24 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

Well guys, I have mine setup and ready to go in the car. The stub axles fit well and look great. I did have to drill out the bolt holes ever so slightly to be 10.5 mm  This now matches the original bolts. Had a heck of a time getting the nut of the front flange. But I guess that is normal.

Once the shafts are in I can not move one side without the other side moving??? I thought it would move a bit if I used all my force but it doesn't budge. Is that normal?

On my Detroit locker one side moves freely until more force is applied then it locks. It will be interesting to feel the difference in the car. Although it will be hard to look past the difference in ratio (4.6 to 3.9)

#25 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

Once the shafts are in I can not move one side without the other side moving??? I thought it would move a bit if I used all my force but it doesn't budge. Is that normal?

That's the break away pressure that is set in the LSD with shims. Some are set to around 50lb of pressure whereas others that are almost locked I think are near 200lb. The less you have the more slip and the more heat builds.

#26 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

After all that, I'd try the Subi halfshafts, if it's a R180 then most likely it's STI which are stronger. Hope this helps a little. I have a R160 subi LSD for sale if anyone wants one for there pedal car or Subaru??

Hmm, R160s  don't fit under a zed I'm guessing ?

#27 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

Should do, or easily made to as they were in 1600's and some 180B's from memory ;D

#28 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

As long as they are long nose they should fit fine.

#29 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

Nooooooo!!! There is a Subi STI diff on Ebay and it is a 4.44 :D    but its in Japland :(    ah well I will keep looking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users