Just won a Subaru 3.9 LSD :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160379280326&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:AU:1123

So I have just won this little fella, a R180 3.9 lsd from a Subaru STI.

I hope to do something like this with the cv's:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=143667

But if not I might settle for this:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=148771&highlight=subaru+lsd

Anyway funds for the car are very scarce atm so unfortunately I might not have any updates for a while.

Nice  :)

I've seen a lot of STI's do a lot of very hard launches without busting drive shafts.  If anything the gearbox or clutch seems to be the first thing to go in them.  So I'd say they should be well and truely up to the job.

Bluerat has done some navigating in an ex Cody Crocker car so it might be worth asking him if that was running standard drive shafts?

I was fiddling around with Subi diff's for my 1600, and found the below diagram on Ozdat a while ago, never tried it, might be worth a try if you know a top machinist and welder? I'm sorry I dont know the original author of the diagram, so I cant give credit where due.

As for the rallycar, it's a bit of a bad example, he's very hard on thing's and they get a pounding!! I know in the old car, a MY99, the drive shafts got rebuilt every 2 events, mind you the front diff and dog box went back to Mr.Frank at Modena for a full rebuild after every 4 events or 500km! told you he was hard on it. He changed to the fancy $1500 per driveshafts and they lasted a lot longer between rebuilds. I'm not joking when I say it cost's more than $50 a competitive km with these puppies!!

After all that, I'd try the Subi halfshafts, if it's a R180 then most likely it's STI which are stronger. Hope this helps a little. I have a R160 subi LSD for sale if anyone wants one for there pedal car or Subaru??

post-1057-144023548315_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

Yeah the whole process was very quick and professional. Emailed back and forth for about 2 hours working out shipping etc and he had them posted within 24 hours. More than I can say for some other Z suppliers I have dealt with...

Same deal here, I gave him a quick call with my details and less than 24hrs later they were posted.

+1 for me too.

Got my Tokico shocks off him  ;D

How much were those adaptors? Look's awsome.

Hollinger have a machine that can make something like that in 1 operation.

Interesting to know what they're worth.

Those axle adapters are awesome.  The HybidZ thread is a very interesting read.

Does anyone know the ratio of a 1998 STi diff -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Subaru-Imprezza-STI-GC-1998-GEARBOX-REAR-DIFF-ASS_W0QQitemZ380207619161QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item588623dc59

aaahh  not a bad score then , i dont think the cv shaft from a suby would hold up in a zed very long

Why??? plenty of overpowered rear wheel convverted STI's around.......

i think 500+hp sti's and and wrx's are a decent comparo??? remember the cv is inherantly strong torque transfer mechanism than a uni joint no?? aswell as more efficint without any speed variations/pulsing???, you would be suprised....

The standard subi stub axles are still the weakest point. They snap before any breakage of CVs unless modified stub axles are used. It will be interesting to see how our imported stub axles handle the Zed. I'm not too worried about mine as I do not have high HP. But then again it is torque that breaks them.

I may have missed something, but isn't the pupose of the adapters so that the original Zed halves can be used?

I've done a little research and 3.9 diffs are in the 01-06 STi's.  Before this they were 3.44 and after they were 3.54.

Gotitrex has the 3.9's for $750 (93180550).  That would mean a solid LSD for about $1500 with the US stubs.  A bit of $$ but from my research and understanding a good LSD will massively improve the handling of a tweaked Zed. (Prob more that $1500 into the engine)

The cv talk is in relation to my original plan. There is another guy on Hybrid who has adapted the subi cv's to fit in the rear of a z. These other 'adapters' from JohnC weren't available at the time. I still plan on doing the cv's in my 240z and using the adapters in my 2+

2 eventually. For the meantime, it will be going into my 240.

Also remember that a relatively 'bolt in' r200 lsd goes for around $1000. Sure you can get lucky and get one cheaper but it's not that common. I paid $300 for the subi lsd + $605 for the adapters so for $905 I've got a lsd that's lighter than the r200 (I assume) and only 9 years old max.

The cv talk is in relation to my original plan. There is another guy on Hybrid who has adapted the subi cv's to fit in the rear of a z. These other 'adapters' from JohnC weren't available at the time. I still plan on doing the cv's in my 240z and using the adapters in my 2+

2 eventually. For the meantime, it will be going into my 240.

Also remember that a relatively 'bolt in' r200 lsd goes for around $1000. Sure you can get lucky and get one cheaper but it's not that common. I paid $300 for the subi lsd + $605 for the adapters so for $905 I've got a lsd that's lighter than the r200 (I assume) and only 9 years old max.

did you get your lsd off eBay?  great price.  I never thought I would have 'diff envy', but I do >:(

Well guys, I have mine setup and ready to go in the car. The stub axles fit well and look great. I did have to drill out the bolt holes ever so slightly to be 10.5 mm  This now matches the original bolts. Had a heck of a time getting the nut of the front flange. But I guess that is normal.

Once the shafts are in I can not move one side without the other side moving??? I thought it would move a bit if I used all my force but it doesn't budge. Is that normal?

On my Detroit locker one side moves freely until more force is applied then it locks. It will be interesting to feel the difference in the car. Although it will be hard to look past the difference in ratio (4.6 to 3.9)

• Moderators

Once the shafts are in I can not move one side without the other side moving??? I thought it would move a bit if I used all my force but it doesn't budge. Is that normal?

That's the break away pressure that is set in the LSD with shims. Some are set to around 50lb of pressure whereas others that are almost locked I think are near 200lb. The less you have the more slip and the more heat builds.