Dual exhaust and fuel tank questions

chartoo

So im currently living overseas for a bit and am away from my zed baby. However that doesnt stop me dreaming up crazy ideas. :)

So to the point. Im really like the look of twin exhausts on zeds. However ive seen from research that it means doing it means doing a lot of work just the look. Eg cut out spare wheel well and weld in a fuel cell and support. So had a bit of an idea. Ive seen with the LPG setups that they can get a round fuel tank (donut tank) that sits in the spare wheel well. I could run the round one and no orginal fuel tank underneath leaving room for the duals.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XA-XB-XC-XD-DONUT-LPG-GAS-TANK_W0QQitemZ150386324291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2303b93343

Is it possible to mod an LPG tank and turn it into a normal fuel tank?  However i think i would run into problems with fuel senders ,fillers and fuel capacity.

I also heard of 280zx fuel tank swap on the grape vines? Ideas and comments appreciated.

I was thinking about this as well. I Photoshopped this pic to have dual exhausts

26tzd_Back_Design_Black.jpg

But i think in reality it's just gonna be another project that delays the progress on my car even more.

There are a couple of guys on hybrid with true dual exhausts. Have a look at their setups.

To get past the fuel cell issue I was thinking about running two pipes down the left side of the car and then having one run along the rear valance, behind the fuel tank and then pop out the back (like certain porches i think?). But I haven't checked clearances to do this, so I don't know how feasible it is.

I would be interested to see your progress :)

Had a bit of a look at fuel tanks on evil bay and one looks like it has potential. This is a xa fuel tank. Looks like it might fit in place and maybe be able to keep the tire well but i would think it might be a bit too wide

bz1r2bgkkgrhgookjmejllm.th.jpg

If i was in australia i could easy get a measurement. Damn i'm teasing my self

So ive done a LOT of research on the web, over at hybridz and googling and still couldnt find a good way to run dual exhasut and keep the rear wheel well. Then hey presto found a way i think. I was reading a build up page and the bloke did it by cutting out a section of his fuel tank big enough to accomdate a muffler. It this dangourous but? I would get it wlded professionally and run a heat shield but still?

Here is the link and some pics. Comments or input appreciated.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3195135/10

31951350225large.th.jpg

31951350245large.th.jpg

31951350247large.th.jpg

Just a note of caution on some of these ideas. Under Australian regulations you cannot remove any of the boot floor, other than the spare tyre well. If you do you would face difficult engineering approval.

If you are not running a V configuration or duel bank engine then a duel exhaust might be regarded as a bit ...

Yes that was my next question PeterAllen. Exhaust note from duals on an I6. Im running an L28 turbo. With the exhaust, i guessing, running a single pipe from the engine and then splitting it into a Y and then onto dual exhausts.

How will this sound? Will it sound crap?  ???

but why? I think the point is that you are running of a straight 6 so there is no need for dual pipes, it is mere aesthetics....and possibly a little forced.

Especially considering how much work (and compliance issues) that would have to be considered to run them.

The main word that springs to mind, is 'why?'

A well set up, well tuned zed with headers and either 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipes sounds great and doesn't look overly posed.

To me the orange zed you posted looks great except for the pipes and the rear lights....but I may be a purist.

(I run 2.5's with a mild L24 and am considering putting better pipes in and moving down to 2.25 (on recommendation).

• Moderators

There is a reason for going to twin pipes; there are many that I have come across that argue that it's pointless but I have read a book on the scientific design of exhaust systems that state, in several chapters, that strongly recommends the need to keep exhausting and intaking cylinders apart. Pulses that travel from exhausting cylinders flow into intaking cylinders during that brief overlap period pushing exhaust fumes back into the cylinder thats trying to push out all the spent gasses. Keeping cylinders 1, 2 and 3 appart from 4, 5 and 6 does have andvantages. I still intend on building my twin "quiet" setup once my good motor is built. They used these systems in Japan many years ago as did the BRE Datsuns...

There is a reason for going to twin pipes; there are many that I have come across that argue that it's pointless but I have read a book on the scientific design of exhaust systems that state, in several chapters, that strongly recommends the need to keep exhausting and intaking cylinders apart. Pulses that travel from exhausting cylinders flow into intaking cylinders during that brief overlap period pushing exhaust fumes back into the cylinder thats trying to push out all the spent gasses. Keeping cylinders 1, 2 and 3 appart from 4, 5 and 6 does have andvantages. I still intend on building my twin "quiet" setup once my good motor is built. They used these systems in Japan many years ago as did the BRE Datsuns...

A good header design will also do this for you if the primary pipes are designed to be long enough to negate the push back effect before merging into a single system. Then the gases are combined and help drag the next lot of spent gasses out of the combustion chamber. The design of the pipe after the collector is also important for the complete system to work properly.

The only stricght six that I know that had a twin system from the factory was the R/T Chargers, and then only the six pack equipped ones and that was for the series production racing rules to allow the race teams make up the best systems they could for racing. The race systems basically went from the header with two pipes bent at about 70 degrees to exit towards the end of the rear of the passenger door at the side of the car. There was no mufflers fitted as straight through systems were allowed in thos days.

Also, while there are plenty of V8's with twin systems, a lot of them run a "X" pipe in the system effectively joining them to form a single system.

If you must have a twin system on the Z, the easiest way would be to split the system at the back and run the second pipe behind the rear panel from one side to other, or just fit a dummy pipe.

I wonder if this is why the V8 supercars used to run a tripple exhaust. Not sure if they still do though.

I too liked the duel system out the rear. So I chopped out the wheel well and got a custom 95 litre tank put in. Then ran a twin 2.5" system with a cross over near the gear box. But I guess I had a better reason for doing it since I have a V8 up front.  ;D  If you have a straight 6 in, not sure why you would bother though. Spend your hard earned cash one something else to make your Zed pretty or go faster I reckon.

Yeah thanks for the coments guys. This was really just a discussion piece but in reality its going to cost a lot of my time and money to do this  just for a look. There are other areas on the car for time and money to be spent first. Thanks for all the input though  :)

I agree with spending your hard earned on something that will give you better results but I understand that you have a picture in your mind of how you would like it to look. It may not be to others taste which is why it is a good discussion point. It has brought out a few different avenues of thought. ;)

You could always do something like this!!!!!! :o

2007c1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...