15 replies to this topic

#1 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

I am looking for a 280zx camshaft to put in my L24, apparently according to Waggott Cams, the stock 280zx cam is equilent to a stage 1 grind for a L24 as the stock L24 camshaft is smaller, so let me know what you have and how much.
cheers Lgee

#2 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

I'd be getting a second opinion before installing one.

If that's still what you want I've got a spare one.

#3 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

are you sure thats exactely what waggott said , it dosnt sound correct, someone has their wires crossed, what car is this for ? what motor ? any modifications? street ? track? rally? what are your intentions depends on camshaft

#4 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Pffft...
You won't notice the difference at all. Get a proper reground one.

My 2c.

#5 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

naaa TQ 30 crane gas cam

#6 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

gee so many questions dazzed,  car= 180b, engine=L24 from r30, mods=bigger carby Weber Adm,exstractors with twin 2 inch zorst exiting just before the rear wheel only 1 hotdog in each pipe no mufflers (yes it is loud), track/motorkhana, as far as the cam goes i wanted to get a profile 61 from him which we were stuffing in BMW 4's and 6's 15 years ago with great results, but he said that that was a bit nasty for the datsun 6, i said i only wanted a mild regrinding and his suggestion was a stock 280zx which was stage 1 on a 240 cam as the 280 cam was physically bigger, and could be ground to a stage 2 profile where as the 240 could not be as it was smaller. but you are more that welcome to call him to clarify, could just go to Clive or Wade,just for the sake of the excercise i will call both and get their opions and post it back here.

Thanks for you 2c lurch i feel your luv,(not wanting me to waist my time on a mod that may result in little gain).

RB30X depending on what my further investigation comes up with i will get back to you.

ofcourse if someone has a lumpy bumpstick they wish to off load let me know
cheers Lgee

#7 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

naaa TQ 30 crane gas cam

Mate now that is a grind i have not heard of in a long time, since the mid 80's, the ol Sig Erson TQ 10-20-30 and of course the Hi flow H1, we put them into our V8's back then before crane was really popular, not sure if its what i need.

#8 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

sig erson thats right , couldnt quite remember ,,,    back then i think every 2 tickety 3  had a tq30 ,    you would hear people braggin,,  YEAH MAN  its got a 350 holley ana tq30 bump stick kicks arse,,,    wade is the way to go as far as i know they have numerouse grinds to suit L series and are the origonal dies from nissan sport

#9 Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Tagline:www.wazcars.com

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:58 PM

I am looking for a 280zx camshaft to put in my L24, apparently according to Waggott Cams, the stock 280zx cam is equilent to a stage 1 grind for a L24 as the stock L24 camshaft is smaller, so let me know what you have and how much.
cheers Lgee

Not alot of difference between a 240Z cam and a 280ZX cam.

http://atlanticz.ca/...s/cam/index.htm

#10 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

ok, i rang this morning and Clive @ Clive cams, confirmed what Mr Waggott had said as did Kieth @ Wade cams, they did say that its not worth getting a 240 reground to that spec as it is only a minor increase, if your going to spend the money we will put the biggest grind we can so you don't have to change your lash pads and it will be still very drivable, and not too lumpy but good performance.
Wise words all round, both were round the $140 mark.

so having said that i still need a cam to get ground, apparently there is 2 types drilled and non drilled. so i will have to see what mine is.

#11 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

I guarantee you will still have to change to different height lash pads with a reground cam.

#12 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

ok, i pulled the rocker cover off last nite and i have the cam with holes, and its a E30 head. regrind the suggestion is 485 thou lift and 295 duration, what the general consensus on that.

#13 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

E30??? Are you sure.

The E30 is the head from  Fairlady 2.0 6-cylinder motor. The Fairlady was the Japanese version of the 240Z released in 1970 in America.

The E31 is an uncommon, desirable head that came on many 1970 240's. It's chambers were high-quench designs, however the valves were smaller than the 260 and 280  heads. Probably about 10,000 were made. After 37 years, most of them are long gone having been over-collected and used up in racing. 42cc chambers I believe.

The E88 came on the 1971-73 240s and '74 260s, in 2 versions, small valve on the 240 and larger valve on the 260. It's chambers are the same cc size as later N42 and 47 heads. Despite what some older books say, I can't see why the E88 would have any performance advantage over any other head.

The larger valve N42 came on the 1975-76 280Z. 48 state U.S. 280Zs didn't use a catalytic converter until 1977, so the head came with softer brass valve seats for use with leaded gas. Many people like these for performance because of it's square exhaust ports. And as a easy mod, putting it on a flattop L28 motor puts compression in the mid 10's.

The N47 came on the '77-80 280Z(X). It has diamond-shaped exhaust ports with emission liners, which some feel reduce flow. Starting in 1977 Nissan heads came with steel seats for use with unleaded gas. Like the N42, putting it on a flattop L28 motor puts compression in the mid 10's.
The P79 came on 81-83 flattop piston L28 (F54) blocks. It has a 53cc chamber and must be used with flattop pistons or compression drops to 7.8:1 (with dished pistons). The exhaust ports/liners are identical to the N47, and used an internally oiled cam. My P79 page .

The P90 is the turbo head from the '81-82 ZX. It has the same combustion chambers as the P79, but has square exhaust ports like the N42. The P90 and P90a are said to be the best flowing heads due to their turbo origins. They both use an internally oiled cam. My P90 page.

The P90a is an interesting turbo head which I believe came out in 1983 only. It has hydraulic valve lifters instead of standard rocker arms, which make the engine almost silent. It has identical chambers and ports to the P90 and uses an internally oiled cam. I think with a low lift, higher duration cam this head would be a hot setup. But the manuals say nothing about servicing it and replacement lifters do not exist anymore.

Y70, E80 I've heard these heads were used on Australia/New Zealand Z's. The AU E88 was used on L28 motors. Interestingly, while the 260 was only made in 1974 in the states it was made until 1978 or so over there. I believe they had leaded 96 octane gas until the early '00s, so these may have been higher compression heads, or ones designed for leaded gas. A friend of mine has an E88 with injector ports on his L24, he suspects it received an Austratlian head at some point.

#14 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:59 AM

yes im sure

Posted Image

engine

Posted Image

#15 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

I think the E30 was also found on the C210 and R30 skylines over here. I may be wrong about the R30 skyline, but i'm pretty certain about the C210.

#16 kolonelklink

kolonelklink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

agreed... the r30's i've seen have run very late model e88's; the e30 head is not what you want i'd consider finding something with better flow before dropping a cam in, that head will slow you down in upper RPM ranges.
e30's pop up a bit here and there in my experience... they "belong" on l20a's but can be found on l24's... for curiositys sake, does it have an oiler bar?

-pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users