• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

The short sightedness of the Sydney Z Club is just amazing...

As an owner of an "other" datsun, I agree 100%. Surely if ALL nissan/datsun vehicles are to be not just invited, but also welcomed, it wouldn't be too hard to make them feel welcomed.

I realise you can't please all the people, all the time, but it can't be too hard to see the amount of ill-feeling generated by the current proposed event format (from the name of the event, its stated aim, right thru to the proposed classes). Not just amongst the owners of so-called "other" models, but also among plenty of "Zed" owners I have spoken to as well.

#22 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

Last nationals we had the same problem. Some people want the even limited to zeds so the classes become simple. Other people want it open to all models. My suggestion is to make it open for all models but only make models eligible for a specific class if there are more than a minimum number of that model attending.

In other words the organisers work out how many participants with each model are needed before it is feasible to have a class for them. I suspect it would be between 5-10. So participants with models with less than that attendance would still be eligible for general classes ("best at show" etc and maybe a catch all class of "unusual cars") but to be eligible for a particular class there would need to be a siginificant number of them attending.

This methodology could apply across the entire range of models, thus not excluding anyone.

#23 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

Gee could be difficult to get those sort of numbers for Nissan Silvia Coupe Csp311, Prince Skyline GTA/GTB, Datsun Coupe 240K's and Roadster Fairlady's just as an example, they in my opinion still have a right to be classed and judged regardless of numbers IMO Lynton 8)

#24 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

I agree with the sentiment. But then where do you draw the line. There would end up being a class for a single entry of particular models and you'd end up with 100 different classes. Its a bit like those participation awards in primary school.

Maybe the minimum number could be lower, I guess trophies don'e cost much. but anything 2 or less is a joke cause then you are garunteed a place.

I was awarded best 280zx in 2005 amongst a field of about 5 and I felt guilty then.

Also don't forget about the logisitics during the awards. It would be a really long night if you awarded 2 places for each and every datsun model.

#25 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

Perhaps a boycott? I know that
most of the Sydney zed club members are good people, I don't understand how this could even have been thought of? We are talking about not allowing people who share the same passion about their datsun that any datsun zed owner does, yet they are just abandoned for whatever reason. That's not on and what was going to be my first event in my zed is looking to be a waste of time. If it is because of logistical reasons like having to make different classes, then ask for help... But if it is flat out arrogance, I know where I won't be next Easter!

#26 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

Oh, I just read an email sent to me from NDSOC and apparently all Nissan Datsuns are invited...  Dunno

#27 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

In hindsight that was a poor choice of words on my part Geoff, so my apologies.
However, Zed owner such as Vince & yourself are the exception, rather than the rule.
I don't know of many other Zed owners from either SZC or NDSOC that have a genuine interest in other Datsun Models, apart from Zeds...

Hey Lurch,

Everything you said was fine except where you generalise about Z owners with grey hair not wanting to see other Nissan Datsun models.  You young blokes don't have a mortgage on liking other models apart from the Z and I think you will find that quite a few 'grey haired' Z owners would like to see the whole range of Nissan/Datsuns on display (As there was in 2005).

Cheers

Geoff  :)

#28 ZED660

ZED660

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hi Lach,

No offence taken, I was only having a bit of a dig!! :)  PM sent.

Regards,

Geoff

#29 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

We also have to look a little bit at the history, from my recollection the event started out as the Z nationals and grew to be the event it is now.

Also, isn't it up to the organising club to put on the event they want and only really need to cater for who they want to cater to, ie, their members. They are the ones who are putting in all the work to put the event on so they can put on whatever type of event they want.

If people don't like it they don't have to go and they can organise their own event if they want.

I have no affliaition with any of the clubs, but having been involved in the Sydney Z club many years ago know what work goes into these things and the number of people who whinge and moan about not getting what they want, but won't put their hands up to help orgnaise anything gives me the shits, and it's applicable to just about any club or organisation.

#30 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

This was my post on the subject on the Ozdat forum

"At risk of copping a big spray............here is my take on the subject:-

Quite simply- It has been left to three clubs to host these events, the NDSOC (which initiated the "all invited" format in 2001) and the QLD and Sydney Z club.............no other club is yet to host an event of this scale.
For all the p1ss1ng and moaning and ridicule coming from owners of "Non Zeds" (lets not get precious about the word "other") I am yet to see anyone actually step up and volunteer to organise a National event of this size and complexity.
I have been heavily involved in organising the last two Nationals with the NDSOC (2001 and 2007) and the amount of effort required is enormous (and we are all volunteers remember) ...........the ridicule coming from those (a very small minority) who do nothing constructive to assist in the planning or execution of the event is positively draining and make us organisors wonder why we bother in the first place.

In summary, I think I can safely say that the vast majority of the entrants to the last two Nationals came away with a great experience and all this talk over logos and perceived Zed bias is simply narrow minded nonsense.............you get out what you put in...........and those who ridicule and complain almost never "put in" .

So I congratulate the QLD and Sydney clubs for embracing the "all welcome" format of the Nationals and persevering "in the face of adversity"  , for those who feel the need to rubbish the event.........step up and show us all how it should be done.

And ask yourself the question

If any other club hosted this event (510, Skyline, etc) ...........would there not be a bias towards that particular vehicle that the club caters for ...........I think the answer would be "yes of course"

Alan Fildes
Life Member
NDSOC

#31 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

any club, organisation, body, group, association, team etc will have their own DNA which others may find hard to accept and embrace.  I have to agree that boycotts, whining,and tearing down ultimately is the greatest waste of opportunity, whereas constructive criticism (feedback) and a willingness to 'roll up your sleeves' and be part of a solution based outcome will win every time.
Rev.

#32 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

Regardless or whether it be whinging or constructive criticism, if they aren't listening to the majority, it wont matter shit.  And anyways, who cares, they are inviting any Nissan Datsuns.

#33 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Ahhhh Ha Ha
I see the same people bitching and moaning about the same thing year in year out. Surely you guys must be getting tired of this?
It's simple if someone chooses to put on event in what ever format they like then let them. If you don't like it don't attend. If you want something else then get off your butt's and organise it your self. PZG302 said it perfectly.
Oh Lurch you know we have solutions for old grey haired, Zed owning ba$tards.  ;)

#34 MR260

MR260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

I dont know any of the background of this issue although I have just read alot of posts about on this site and "other" Datsun site.
I just dont get what the big deal is? If a Zed club is organising the event then they can call it what they want i would think?
I agree that all Datsuns should be welcomed and have always loved old Datsuns/Nissans. My first 4x4 was a 1970 G60 Patrol.
Anyway i would think you would have general classes , Zed specific classes if it is supposed to be a Zed event and other model specific classes if there were enough of that model at the event.

I was pretty interested in going to this event and thought it could be a good road trip with other Zed owners etc. but it sounds like alot of you arent even interested in going?
I know i havent added anything to this topic but im just really confused of what the real issue is ::)

#35 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

I guess the issue is that its the Datsun Nationals...  Not the Zed nationals.  I'll still go.

#36 MR260

MR260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Oh ok that makes alot more sense

#37 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

yeh, they have changed it to Z nats

#38 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

I guess the issue is that its the Datsun Nationals...  Not the Zed nationals.  I'll still go.

As far as I know the nationals were originally the Zed Nationals way back when it first started and then was expanded to include the other models to make the event worthwhile to put on.

#39 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

I agree, it makes it worthwhile :)

#40 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

Originally began as a Z car nationals back in the day when these sorts of get togethers were rare and enthusiasm for other Dattos was virtually nil. So obviously a Z car club would in one way prefer to run a Z exclusive event but with the big increase in costs plus the current enthusiasm for other old Dattos it makes practical sense to include everyone. Plenty of Z owners like other Dattos too so its win win for everyone, a lot of the rivalry comes from stirring, very few Z owners are truly snobby about their cars, its not a BMW or Porsche club situation ;)

Hope the above puts the current situation in context, if any non Z Datto owner gets offended they need to HTFU, seriously :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users