#61 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

Just been talking to a mate, and he's suggested that steel might be a better material for this particular part since steel has a 'fatigue limit' which means that oscillating low stresses do not fatigue the part over time.

Aluminium on the other hand has no 'fatigue limit' and will therefore eventually fail by fatigue no matter how small the oscillating stresses.

Since you are kind of fudging the design a bit it might be safer to go with steel.

#62 waxhead

waxhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

Ok sweet
I will work on a new design tonight
Steel is cheaper as well

#63 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

This is a thinner steel version of Wax's design. It weighs approximately 4.5 kg.

Attached Thumbnails

• 12071_2dcfa6a9395e9e5bd389ac2922c7dc3b50e291cd.jpg

#64 waxhead

waxhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

That one looks ok
I reckon it would be the go

#65 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

whats wrong with the std ones????
have you had one fail????
stock one only weighs approx 4 or so kg's does it no???
remember the stad one is hardened, IE Q & T, so near mech properties of spring steel.
you just try & drill it without speciales drilling bits......
R180 & r200 are also different if not already known, holes centres are different.
Also mounted the other way, if its had its holes sloted then probly an r180 filed out to suit an r200.

just some info for you.
nat0

#66 waxhead

waxhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

What's wrong with the STD wheels I have never had one break on me ethier

#67 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

how much more would you spend on machining custom wheels tha off the shelf'os??
no pun intended, im just curious as to why go to such extent when they are available via AZC, yes not cheap but by the time youve destroyed 2 or 3 in product testing, and damage a few other part along the way, namely half shafts or underbody, you probly wasted that cash already.
FEA simulation is good, but only as good as the persons/operators understanding of the applied loads and forces, aswell as things like fatigue, eccentric loading and twist of the member once loaded. ie sometimes the fea package doesnot account, either lack of operator inputs or just the transient nature of beam loading, (ie never the same twice...) you may have a bar which is capable of resisting the torque applied, but what if the bar twist slightly, then forces become furthar eccentric to the vertical axis of the bar, the furthar they are the more likely hood of destruction, especially under those 'high load' clutch drops and down changes nearly causing comp lock.

just my exp speaking here, if you are to proceed, try making the moustache bar more like a contoured 'I' beam (universal beam), ie have a top and or bottom 'T' flange either billet or stitch welded on, itwill allow far far more bending stress resistance, the wider(higher) the 2 flanges are appart, the greater the bending resistance, try it on the fea package, but as a weldment....

ask me Q's if you are still after ideas. I too have waterjet, plasma & oxy profile cutting and other facilities at my disposal and also have a high demand of torque resistance, hopefully 700-800+Nm
however as busy as i am........

cheers nat0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users