#21 Graedat

Graedat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:Broken and grumpy

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

I know mine is a weekend warrior, but Shannons inspected the mods and the engineers cert. and we agreed on a value.
Not many insurance companies will touch a modified car.

I called JUSTCARS and the 260z wasnt even on their database.
She assumed it was a grey import.

Go with Shannons.
Grae

#22 aegean

aegean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

I have all my cars (15) covered under what they call a Stable policy, with Vigil. Those of you in Victoria will recall the torrential downpour on December 19. Well, photos of my 260 are below - one of 7 I have in this lock-up. You can see on the side of the car how high the water was. The inside just shows all the silt and muck that came inside and the residue left behind. I haven't tried starting it yet as the fluids have not been changed - engine, gearbox and diff, but when they are, which will hopefully be this week, I will see if there are any problems. I advised Vigil and sent them claim forms, and said that IF there is nothing other than cosmetic damage, the value of the claim would unlikely exceed $5,000 for all the cars. Their response ?

"If you want to get professionals in we will cover the cost under your policy.  Just have them invoice us directly.  They will need to do a separate invoice for each car.
The value isn’t significant at the moment. 
If you can maintain records of costs and have invoices provided for work carried out that is basically all we need".

I couldn't ask for better service than that. I will do as they say and maintain records and submit a final claim once I know that everything is OK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Oh damn, im not sure what im more impressed with, the insurance company or you collection :D

#24 maddos

maddos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

Damn, I thought 2 inches of nice clean rainwater in the floor of my zed yesterday was bad. Guess it's nothing compared to that clean up.

#25 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

Ive got my zed insured with Shannons agreed $13,000 (needs to be bumped up) I pay just under $250 per annum...no probs soooo far.

#26 ol_skl_jp

ol_skl_jp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

I just got a policy with GIO with salvage option around $350, insured for 15K. I was unclear if they payout on the agreed value or market value. I just dont want to get market value if my is written off (god forbid:)). Has anyone made a claim with GIO, any information woulb be greatly appriciated, since i couldn't get this question answered from any of their sales reps.
Cheers
Sach

#27 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

for my moded 260z 2+2 agreed value without looking at the car 16K but my premium is close to 500 and thats on limited usage. once or twice a week. for everyday closer to 650. through shannons.

3rd party fire and theft was $270 p year.

are you guys on limited or even extra limited usage to get those premiums?

#28 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:11 AM

I'm allowed to use mine normally, the only thing they really asked was if its got club plates (or mayb it was just if your part of a CAMS club) and if u use it in concourse type events

#29 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:45 AM

Shannons have me on their medium use policy which is 2-3 days per week ..ie not my daily driver. I paid $296 per annum, Ive got no Km limit.

#30 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

hmm probably higher premuim for me cause prob of age (dont believe it as im 30) or becuse of the modifications and turbocharged engine and therefore a higher risk car. still 16k will cover my cost of the car and mods it cost me prob around 12k. so im kinda happy.

im paying similar amount for my s14 for full insurance through another company. shannons couldnt match it to give me a multiple policy discount. so i only got the z with them. than again i told shannons exactly whats on the s14 and neglected to mention few things to the other one. hence the price difference.

had a claim with the s14 and no problems nobody complained about those extra bits that i didnt mention.  :P

#31 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

Amusing that this thread is hot again - was just browsing through the recent CAMS updates posted up on the Alfa club, and came across this http://www.cams.com....its&ObjectID=14 in amongst a few insurance changes.  Not sure how many of you are members of CAMS (and not sure if being an official counts), but still interesting if there is actually a decent discount.  (NOTE: If being a recognised official counts, then grab yourself a trainee official licence off the cams site, get along to 3 sprints/meets run under a Cams umbrella, get yourself signed off for all three, then send your form in, and become an official official (all for free!). The upside of which is you could possibly officiate in some way at ANY cams event, including Rally of Melbourne, getting yourself free trackside slots!)

#32 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

talking about insurence i can barely get mine insured im 20 yrs old have a no claim bounus with just car insurence and the best price i get quoted is $1016 a year plus $950 excessand thats only for $3850 (gio they said they would increase it if i get it valued higher than that) which is a joke considering it has 4g in parts alone and thats just to start with, i even tryed shannons and they said the wont insure me due to the fact i have only had my licence for 3 years but they said ithey would insured it if i raced it. also i live in nsw and have no speeding fines no claims etc they also said my car was classed as a high performance car. so for shits and giggles i thort i would ring up and get a quote for a brand new 08 $49 000 ve s pack and guess what i got quoted you guessed it $360 a year and a $600 excess that is replace if damaged in the first 12 months any one know of a good insurer for young enthusiest like myself and not just rich little mummies boys

cheers pauly

#33 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

Pauly, some things just dont change, in 1988  insurance on my RX-4 was $1000 for $4800 cover...
question..
is the car your daily driver ?
Did Shannons say they would insure after 3 years experience ?  If so stick it out...
You can try to get insurance for the car as a 2-3 day a week vehicle and obviously drive it a bit more than that. I thought NRMA had a classic car policy.
Also just keep shopping around, try Western QBE and brokers perhaps...
or, only take out 3rd party compulsory insurance and dont insure it comprehensively, just make sure you have an imobilisor and dont drive like a maniac...$1000 is a bit rich.
Another option is to try to insure it thru Shannons etc but in your mum or dads name and have you nominated as a ligitimate driver on the policy, only downside is the claim excess would be quite high.. maybe $1000 ? these days you can do a dummy run on most insurers websites to see who can give you the best premium.
what are the other under 21 driver doing regarding insurance ?

#34 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

I had mine through GIO for a decent price when i was 20, although the car had to b 30yrs old for it to be cheap.  I said i just wanted a quote for 3rd party fire and theft and they stated they only have classic insurance for cars that old and it was <400 for full comp. however the car engine wise was stock...

#35 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

yeh it is a daily but as for 3rd party i had it and gio said they would give me full compo for $630 if i myself had anothercar through them or my parents for some odd reason changed to gio but they wont budge  >:(  the reason y i want full compo is due to me repacing everything i mean running gear struts motor and interior has be re done in red valour etc and the parts have cost me a mint but anyway im going to ring the insurence onbudsment tomorow and see what thay can find a woman from aami tod me they might be able to help but hey crap happerns

cheers pauly

#36 JP240z

JP240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Pauly, your replies make my eyes hurt.
It's good to see that you still don't believe in grammar.

Gio and shannons both insured me for a good price after I turned 19. About $350 a year full comp 15K agreed value as a daily driver. I think it might make a big difference if your car is 35 years old as it qualifies as a classic.

#37 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

not too sure and sorry about the gramah i wans not a good student in english as you can see, maths is more my game lol

cheers pauly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users