insurance

Huw

I just got a policy with GIO with salvage option around $350, insured for 15K. I was unclear if they payout on the agreed value or market value. I just dont want to get market value if my is written off (god forbid:)). Has anyone made a claim with GIO, any information woulb be greatly appriciated, since i couldn't get this question answered from any of their sales reps.

Cheers

Sach

for my moded 260z 2+2 agreed value without looking at the car 16K but my premium is close to 500 and thats on limited usage. once or twice a week. for everyday closer to 650. through shannons.

3rd party fire and theft was $270 p year.

are you guys on limited or even extra limited usage to get those premiums?

hmm probably higher premuim for me cause prob of age (dont believe it as im 30) or becuse of the modifications and turbocharged engine and therefore a higher risk car. still 16k will cover my cost of the car and mods it cost me prob around 12k. so im kinda happy.

im paying similar amount for my s14 for full insurance through another company. shannons couldnt match it to give me a multiple policy discount. so i only got the z with them. than again i told shannons exactly whats on the s14 and neglected to mention few things to the other one. hence the price difference.

had a claim with the s14 and no problems nobody complained about those extra bits that i didnt mention.  :P

Amusing that this thread is hot again - was just browsing through the recent CAMS updates posted up on the Alfa club, and came across this http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=MemberBenefits&ObjectID=14 in amongst a few insurance changes.  Not sure how many of you are members of CAMS (and not sure if being an official counts), but still interesting if there is actually a decent discount.  (NOTE: If being a recognised official counts, then grab yourself a trainee official licence off the cams site, get along to 3 sprints/meets run under a Cams umbrella, get yourself signed off for all three, then send your form in, and become an official official (all for free!). The upside of which is you could possibly officiate in some way at ANY cams event, including Rally of Melbourne, getting yourself free trackside slots!)

talking about insurence i can barely get mine insured im 20 yrs old have a no claim bounus with just car insurence and the best price i get quoted is $1016 a year plus $950 excessand thats only for $3850 (gio they said they would increase it if i get it valued higher than that) which is a joke considering it has 4g in parts alone and thats just to start with, i even tryed shannons and they said the wont insure me due to the fact i have only had my licence for 3 years but they said ithey would insured it if i raced it. also i live in nsw and have no speeding fines no claims etc they also said my car was classed as a high performance car. so for shits and giggles i thort i would ring up and get a quote for a brand new 08 $49 000 ve s pack and guess what i got quoted you guessed it $360 a year and a $600 excess that is replace if damaged in the first 12 months any one know of a good insurer for young enthusiest like myself and not just rich little mummies boys

cheers pauly

Pauly, some things just dont change, in 1988  insurance on my RX-4 was $1000 for $4800 cover...

question..

is the car your daily driver ?

Did Shannons say they would insure after 3 years experience ?  If so stick it out...

You can try to get insurance for the car as a 2-3 day a week vehicle and obviously drive it a bit more than that. I thought NRMA had a classic car policy.

Also just keep shopping around, try Western QBE and brokers perhaps...

or, only take out 3rd party compulsory insurance and dont insure it comprehensively, just make sure you have an imobilisor and dont drive like a maniac...$1000 is a bit rich.

Another option is to try to insure it thru Shannons etc but in your mum or dads name and have you nominated as a ligitimate driver on the policy, only downside is the claim excess would be quite high.. maybe $1000 ? these days you can do a dummy run on most insurers websites to see who can give you the best premium.

what are the other under 21 driver doing regarding insurance ?

I had mine through GIO for a decent price when i was 20, although the car had to b 30yrs old for it to be cheap.  I said i just wanted a quote for 3rd party fire and theft and they stated they only have classic insurance for cars that old and it was <400 for full comp. however the car engine wise was stock...

yeh it is a daily but as for 3rd party i had it and gio said they would give me full compo for $630 if i myself had anothercar through them or my parents for some odd reason changed to gio but they wont budge  >:(  the reason y i want full compo is due to me repacing everything i mean running gear struts motor and interior has be re done in red valour etc and the parts have cost me a mint but anyway im going to ring the insurence onbudsment tomorow and see what thay can find a woman from aami tod me they might be able to help but hey crap happerns

cheers pauly

Pauly, your replies make my eyes hurt.

It's good to see that you still don't believe in grammar.

Gio and shannons both insured me for a good price after I turned 19. About $350 a year full comp 15K agreed value as a daily driver. I think it might make a big difference if your car is 35 years old as it qualifies as a classic.