Important Change on Auszcar.com

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:15 AM

Hi Gav,
        I don't have much to say on the forum but I am usually on a couple of times a day to see what members are up to. Since I have a Motec PLM for sale in the classified section I agree with the pay for adds senario. I have just put in my $10 through paypal. Long live AUSZCAR.
Regards
David.

Thanks mate appreciate it.

I'm thinking we need a "Free to good home" section so people who want to give away items can still do that.

Will speak with Sulio, Lurch and Craig and see what their thoughts are too.

#42 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

fairdinkum.
I suggested paying for ads 18 months ago and it caused a storm  ::)

#43 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

At the end of the day $10- is nothing to charge for 12 months advertising. You won't get that anywhere else. Plus it will eliminate the Johnny come lately's who either only join to sell something or people putting junk up for sale on the off chance of a sale because the listing is free. In order to only get serious sellers with half descent items for sale then really a fee needs to be charged. Running the site costs money not to mention time so I don't see why a nominal fee would be unreasonable.

#44 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

This is a very feasible scenario.. and not an unwarranted

What will you limit as items for sale....purely Z car / Nissan or anything car or non car related

Will you be required to set up an ABN or register as a non profit organisation...

#45 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:05 AM

fairdinkum.
I suggested paying for ads 18 months ago and it caused a storm  ::)

That was so last year :P. No its a good idea I just didn't want it to put people off. Plus hosting costs were not an issue then.

At the end of the day $10- is nothing to charge for 12 months advertising. You won't get that anywhere else. Plus it will eliminate the Johnny come lately's who either only join to sell something or people putting junk up for sale on the off chance of a sale because the listing is free. In order to only get serious sellers with half descent items for sale then really a fee needs to be charged. Running the site costs money not to mention time so I don't see why a nominal fee would be unreasonable.

Agreed..

This is a very feasible scenario.. and not an unwarranted

What will you limit as items for sale....purely Z car / Nissan or anything car or non car related

Will you be required to set up an ABN or register as a non profit organisation...

Still Z-car only listings, of course under certain circumstances we might bend the rules. If of course it helps us pay for hosting, but the last thing we want is unrelated advertising in the classifieds. If people want to advertise that way we have banner advertising on the site.

RE: ABN I'm not sure about this, its possible we will have to do this. However I plan to use PayPal to cover it which goes into my PayPal account. Since I also pay for hosting out of my own bank account.

We do have our own club bank account now though, so I guess we are getting closer to registering as a non-profit etc..

#46 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hi Gav, maybe I'm a bit slow, but I find the search feature hard to use. It never seems to come up with many results whenever I search. For example, I was searching for this thread, so I went to 'forum' and searched  'change' in the search box and this thread doesn't appear in the results.

Would it be possible to include a link to a Google search of www.viczcar.com within the site? Like what they do on www.zcar.com.

As it is I usually search within the site, not find anything useful and then go into yahoo (yes I yahoo, I was using the interwebs before google got big and I've just stuck with it ;) ) and search within the domain like this http://au.search.yah...r1&fr=yfp-t-501

#47 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:59 PM

Thats wierd I did the same search on CHANGE and this thread came up. Search function has always worked well for me as I do use it from time to time.??????

SUlio

#48 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hi Gav, maybe I'm a bit slow, but I find the search feature hard to use. It never seems to come up with many results whenever I search. For example, I was searching for this thread, so I went to 'forum' and searched  'change' in the search box and this thread doesn't appear in the results.

Would it be possible to include a link to a Google search of www.viczcar.com within the site? Like what they do on www.zcar.com.

As it is I usually search within the site, not find anything useful and then go into yahoo (yes I yahoo, I was using the interwebs before google got big and I've just stuck with it ;) ) and search within the domain like this http://au.search.yah...r1&fr=yfp-t-501

I understand your frustration. It seems I have to build the search index periodically or we get stale results and newer threads are not included in the search results. This is why I want to integrate the forum and gallery into the 1 content management system.

Search via the Drupal CMS is far more useful and flexible than what it is on this forum. I agree a Google site search box would be good, although I'd need to theme out of the default box so users don't get confused by 2 search boxes.

Its just finding time to make these changes :(.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users