#21 Reaper-Zed

Reaper-Zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Tagline:Lance

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

Just make sure if you go with advertising then make sure its not annoying as hell with pop ups and what not. . . . . PLEASE

#22 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

Just make sure if you go with advertising then make sure its not annoying as hell with pop ups and what not. . . . . PLEASE

Haven't I explained to you clearly, about posting stupid comments?

#23 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

I think what lurch is trying to say is... 'no DURRRRRR'  ;D :-*

#24 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,501 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Haven't I explained to you clearly, about posting stupid comments?

I think its a valid concern, and no don't worry no pop-ups or pop-unders or anything like that. Just banners and text links like you can now see across the site.

I might also add image ads at the top of the page for site sponsors.

#25 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

Just wondering, do you guys like the latest forum posts at the bottom of the forum index? Is it useful?

#26 FLEXZED

FLEXZED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Tagline:Loui

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

i dont mind it gav easier to see the lastest posts

thanks

#27 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

It's great Gav, whatever is working for you ...and the forum is fine by me.

#28 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:04 AM

Ok so a new day and new ideas.

1.) I've decided to bite the bullet. I couldn't get CPU usage down. I spoke with the guy who runs www.ausrotary.com and his site has a decent amount of traffic and users. The hosting plan they are on is not perfect but he said they were quite good. The hosting he is using is cheaper than what we are upgrading to, but its still more expensive than our current plan. They only run phpbb but im not willing to kill our gallery or front page articles.

2.) I have other sites hosted on the same server so moving is a pain (big pain). Current host is not the cheapest but they are a decent provider, sometimes you just gotta pay a bit more for someone you trust.

3.) I have placed Google Adsense on the site. I'm also looking at OpenAds http://www.openx.org/ which is software that helps you manage your online advertising. Its also free for page impressions up to 1million. We don't get that many page impressions so we should be able to use their free hosted solution (I like them hosting it instead of us because its easier for me to manage and maintain).

4.) I need your help! If we get approved for OpenAds service. I need you to tell suppliers, people who would benefit from advertising on our site to sign up or contact us! For a small (undetermined as of yet free) a business can get advertising on our gallery, frontpage or forum or all 3.

5.) Hosting is 100 euro p/month. I'll be putting the donation box back on the homepage soon. If you can contribute it would be highly appreciated. The site has grown rapidly over the past 12 months we get new members every day.

If anyone has any other ideas for funding the site, I'm all ears. I guess in future we could add an online store for Z parts. That's always been a thought of mine since I regularly get emails from people looking for parts. 

#29 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

You'll probably notice the forum sponsor Otomoto's banner now appears on the forum of the site. I plan to make it possible to advertise across the entire website with your company.

If anyone is interested in helping the club and getting some great exposure for their business in return let me know.

#30 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

If people have got parts to give away, if you could sell them for example on ebay, money recieved can go to the site. Or giving them away on the forum, receiver can make a donation as the payment.

#31 Reaper-Zed

Reaper-Zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

Genuine Concern .... don't shoot me down for it

#32 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking that in order to post in our classifieds you will need to become a donating member.

Donations would cost $10 and it would last a full year (365) days. Unlimited number of posts in classifieds.

Or perhaps people need a once off cost?

Payment is made via paypal and you automatically become a subscribed member (donating member).

Thoughts?

#33 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

I worry that we might significantly cut down the amount of new members because not many people will be interested in paying to advertise something. They won't pay to advertise unless they are 100% sure the site is worth paying for, which they won't know until they've paid and tried to sell something so...

#34 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

BUUUUUT, paying to advertise Vs not having a site AT ALL is a small price to pay, IMHO...

#35 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

Steve, you're right people pay for what they value however I think most people who frequent the forum would understand that it's intrinsic value is worth far more than $10 per year...sometimes having to pay for something establishes more value for the consumer that's why ebay is so popular.  I think the track record for the success of this site in matching buyers with sellers is pretty good and if we put a percentage blurb on the front page of how many items advertised were sold in the last couple of months it would stimulate confidence which equals advertisers which equals AusZcar remaining the quality forum based club that it is. 

For what it's worth i think Gav should put a couple of one line testimonies of guys who have found ausZcar to be the most useful tool in their workshop!
Rev.

#36 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

I worry that we might significantly cut down the amount of new members because not many people will be interested in paying to advertise something. They won't pay to advertise unless they are 100% sure the site is worth paying for, which they won't know until they've paid and tried to sell something so...

Very valid point  Steve I'm all for free classifieds myself, BUT we get so many people who are "NEW" members just because they want to sell something and never return.

I hope my response below will help also, as I just had a think about this over lunch.

BUUUUUT, paying to advertise Vs not having a site AT ALL is a small price to pay, IMHO...

Yep, I think its reasonable to charge a very small fee for advertising and the rest of the site is free remember. I'm not 100% sure but I think I could set it up so that posting a new thread would require a payment, but replying to existing threads would not.

Steve, you're right people pay for what they value however I think most people who frequent the forum would understand that it's intrinsic value is worth far more than $10 per year...sometimes having to pay for something establishes more value for the consumer that's why ebay is so popular.  I think the track record for the success of this site in matching buyers with sellers is pretty good and if we put a percentage blurb on the front page of how many items advertised were sold in the last couple of months it would stimulate confidence which equals advertisers which equals AusZcar remaining the quality forum based club that it is. 

For what it's worth i think Gav should put a couple of one line testimonies of guys who have found ausZcar to be the most useful tool in their workshop!
Rev.

I agree we can work on the sales / marketing side of things and add customer testimonials. I think more businesses would be receptive to paying a small fee and having unlimited reigns on posting parts and other related services to our members.

So here is what I was thinking.

3 Levels of classifieds access.

1- A 1 off fee of $5 to post a car for sale. You pay and have 7 days to list your item / items. Suits new members who want to flog something off and don't want to stick around.

2- A yearly fee for members (optional of course!) - Allows them to post as much as they want in the classifieds (say $9 p/year).

3- Trader status - ($28 p/year) - A business can post in the classifieds as often as they want and will be an Auszcar trusted trader.

4- Traders could also get additional exposure and banner advertising (see top of forum and gallery eg: Otomoto banner). As well as classifieds access for another fee, say $99 p/year.

These prices are just examples. However it could work out really well for everyone especially members. (Take Otomoto for example).

Of course existing members who have donated will automatically get access.

#37 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

Hi Gav,
        I don't have much to say on the forum but I am usually on a couple of times a day to see what members are up to. Since I have a Motec PLM for sale in the classified section I agree with the pay for adds senario. I have just put in my $10 through paypal. Long live AUSZCAR.
Regards
David.

#38 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

Gavin, you are providing a service so a fee is justified. It's a small price, you are a lot cheaper than places like ebay..If that scares off some people..that may be a good thing!

#39 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:38 PM

Gav I for one think that the pay for a add is a great idea. I will be looking forward to reading some more comment on the subjet.
regards
Bruce.
PS do you have cap yet ? not bad value if ask me. ;D   

#40 Reaper-Zed

Reaper-Zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:47 AM

I agree good idea gav, though some will be put off by the idea in the end this site is a great source for parts and cars, I think if you put that out there a bit more than we charge $10 for add's it could work great, just really have to show people its worth doing if they want things sold for the right price. Maybe if they are selling smaller things that cost little maybe charge a smaller fee? I was thinking how this could roll but maybe put restraints on the classified for sale say someone types up what they want to sell and it gets saved on the server and not allow it to be visable to public till payment has gone through, that way admin will be who authorize the new threads for sales and possibly return a reference number to the seller to put on the paypal so you can keep track of where payments are coming from and authorize the classifieds of the people who have actually payed? Just a idea might be easier for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users