Sign in to follow this  
FLEXZED

FLEXZED early 260z RS30 0001009 RB34 BUILT BY PMC ENGINES

Yah, that's why I didn't bother answering... you don't need to do anything extra..just remove the parts and re-install the filter! Doesn't matter now!

hi all just a quick update on my zed

have basically stripped the car (engine and box needs to be removed and cleaned cleaned up a bit to start the rust repairs, as you can see dont have to much rust BUT in desperate need of a roof skin

any comments appreciated

p9190006n.jpg

p9190003p.jpg

p9190004d.jpg

p9190005u.jpg

p9190008.jpg

p9190009s.jpg

p9190011c.jpg

p9190016.jpg

p9190015.jpg

p9190017.jpg

Hi,

Welcome to the "Ship of the damned" seems there are a few of us doing these restorations.

Looking at your roof problem, might be worth while looking at a 2+2 doner roof, unplucking the skin carefully and then getting a good beater to trim away the excess sheet metal.

Think you will find that apart from the additional length, the overall front screen area, and left and right hand gutters will be the same up until about 80% back from the front front pillars, and good beater should be able to rework the rear 1/4 join areas. I say this as there are a lot of 2+2's out there being parted out but no 2 seaters.

Otherwise you could have it section joined at the rear cut line of the sunroof in the current car, done slowly and carefully you can achieve a great result.

Cheers

John

Battery area looks real clean there which is a huge bonus. Another option with the roof dilemma would be to just butt weld in another piece of sheet metal; save yourself a heap of time looking for a donor roof. Are you going to repaint in the original bronze?

The reality of old zed cars and the numbers of them being parted out are even making the 2+2 dry up quickly, the overall number of Zeds in Australia as compared to many other classics are now very low IMO.

Maybe that is why prices of these classics are slowly lifting and the basket cases are seriously for someone desperate to get a car as people are starting to hold them and restore or improve with modern enhancements and what better car to do exactly that with.....looks, handling, IRS, good bones to work with. Lynton 8)

hey sirpent good thinking i will see my beater and see if that will work thanks

ela dimitri :the battery area is definately a bonus, colour combo will be Orange with gunmetal hightlights

Loui

Pleasure,

But its going to be painstaking work unplucking it, make sure you tell us what your beater said about the graft.

Cheers

John

Hey Loui,

Whats the verdict on the roof?

Cheers

John

Well Im in SA on business Thurs Friday, if its there I could store it in a carry on.........LOL Just kidding........

Which State?

hi all

spent my saturday removing the motor and gearbox (which is still for sale)

removed the petrol tank

high water pressure cleaned the whole car getting rid of all the 35 years of road grime

could any one tell me what kind of diff i have

thanks

Loui

pa100046.jpg

pa100047.jpg

pa100054.jpg

pa100057d.jpg

pa100053.jpg

pa100065.jpg

pa100066.jpg

pa100070.jpg

pa100076.jpg

some of the markings on the diff

the numbers read

T26

pa100063f.jpg

pa100090.jpg

pa100091.jpg

and after a big days work its nice to sit back and work on my sons scooter  :-\  :D

pa100096.jpg

hi all

not much has happened since my last post been busy with work and a trip to NZ

so last weekend started to build the rotiserre and had it completed night

my mum came over and has christened the zed as the "CHICKEN" ready to be cooked

pics below

P.s note the mig weld performed by my 17yr old son this is his first attempt at mig welding

Loui

pb110080.jpg

pb110081.jpg

pb110082.jpg

pb110083n.jpg

pb110084.jpg

pb110085p.jpg

pb110086w.jpg

Hey loui, Looking great mate. I have the 280zx struts, hubs and brakes sitting here when ever you need them. I'm happy to store them at my place. Actually they are still on the shell. haha. I'll need a bit of time to strip them for you. Depends on if I'm up here in QLD at work or at home on break. ;) I do have a set that is striped already but not in the best condition. Let me know what you want to do.

Those welds are what you get when you get a Toyota enthusiast to do the welding... *sniggers*

Those welds are what you get when you get a Toyota enthusiast to do the welding... *sniggers*

my exact words to him  ;D

mate dont think like that. this forum is about all our experiences in the journey of building a zed

lurch knows my son is a toyota celica boy waiting for him to grow up and get serious about a car and get himself a zed

Loui

Loui,

Today is one month since your last update, think its time you show us how the "Chickens" basting is going in the oven !

yeah i know mate been slack

have taken a few pics over the last 2 weeks but have uploading them

this technolgy is doing my head in

recieved my new sill panels and dog legs yesterday , ordered my zg flares , and coilovers from benzed

so things are moving along so she should be ready fro blasting early in the new year

Loui

hi all i have my pc back so i have a few photos to show you

getting the zed ready for blasting

1.cut out most of the roof rust ready for the carbon fibre roof

pb140090.jpg

2 new floor panels are installed and welded in

pb290092.jpg

pb290093.jpg

pb290095.jpg

pb290097.jpg

pb290098.jpg

pc050109.jpg

even the zed is involved in the xmas spirt

thats enough for now it took me 45 min just to do this

ffs

Loui

Aj Kurumba Loui !

Cant believe you didnt brace the internals while doing that to keep it all in square considering the hole in the turret, no rails, no pans etc etc etc while hanging on the rotiesse ........

If she's all still square I take my hat off to you !

Can I make a suggestion though, may sound stupid, but maybe hang position and lock the doors in place before you finish the rails off, its amazing how much movement may occur which will cause you grief later, at least that way you can manipulate the shell before its all butted up to make sure the sill and slam pillar gaps are correct.

Sorry to be a pesamist Bro.......

Cheers

John

hey mate

had the shell off the rotissere when i cut out the floor and welded in the panel , did 1 at a time so i didnt affect the flex in the car, i did brace he roof but have taken them out now to install the 120y turret brasces

thanks mate i will be bolting everything back on before i do the rails, then weld in my half cage

scraping of all theunderbody sealer over the next 2 days and then hoping to have it at the blasters by monday with a xmas eve pick (fingers crossed)

Loui

Cool,

Sorry to be a know it all, and I should have known better than to think you wouldnt have thought it thru, apologies Buddy.

When they blasted mine, the garnite took the underbody deadener off very easily, dont think you need worry there seriously.

Even my engine bay which was layed thick with stoneguard just flew off.

Cheers

John