URGENT HELP Gearbox Stuck in Second, 1000 kms to go

George

One of our new members has flown to Adelaide from Sydney. He's on his way back with his new 260 and with 1,000 kms to go his gearbox got stuck first in 4th gear and then soon after in 2nd where it's really stuck. He's tried force but it's not budging. Clutch works fine.

Any tips? He has an assortment of tools with him and will be staying the night somewhere. He obviously doesn't want to take it apart in the parking lot.

A 1000k's in second gear.....he's joking right....drive train, engine strain, fatigue, impatience, other road users, hills, the shits, days to get home...officer plod and constable dribble will throw him off the road quicker than he can say what are you stopping me for.....

Good Luck....Id be looking for a car carrier.......

I presume he is driving a 240z I had similar problems in a Datsun 2000 Sports many moons ago and the selectors move back because either the clip or lock nut have come loose. I would persist driving a little to see if he can release it out of 2nd while moving with some force and at least get it into fourth gear that is what I did it gave the clutch a hammering on the trip home and you have to allow for hills etc in your driving. When he pulls the selectors out make sure he puts a lock nut back on properly torqued and with a lock pin through the nut or shaft .......worked for me...Lynton 8)

i had a similar thing happen to me in my 260 2+2, i ended up pulling realy hard on the gear shifter and had somone push on the front of my car it took a bit of shaking back and forth and it finaly came unstuck, i have yet to have it happen again give this a try it might work it might not.

cheers pauly

i made it back to sydney in 2nd gear, 1974 260z unbreakable 1080 km later no oil usage driving between 70 - 80 km/h  tied now will post pics and rwrite up tomorrow night

thanks george for the post

thanks guys for the info i tried all the tricks mentioned without any luck