L24 EFI ITB installation...again!

Zedman240®

• Moderators

Looking good rb30x!  How do all the ports line up?  You could go fully hectic British touring car style and put the injectors just outside the trumpets....mmmm atomisation!!!

Good point about the optical versus reluctor in picking up cylinder 1 Zedman.  What kind of performance are you hoping to achieve from the L24?

On the British touring cars, I think most of them ran staged injectors in front of the trumpets as well as the injectors in the manifold. When they used to rev to some stupid number, the second group of four injectors would come on to supply that extra amount of fuel needed. Heres a quick video of an F1 engine with what looks like staged injectors on the top firing at high revs.. Sounds a bit out of sync but you'll get it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NHEAxKGw8Y

As for power out of the L24, by the time it's built, it will have around 2700 odd cc's and I'm hoping for around 140+Kw at the wheels. All will be revealed later after the dynoing with the good motor. For now it's just a standard L24.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Finally had some success tonight. Got the L24 started! Couldn't run it for too long as the neighbours won't really like the open headers! Had to lock the timing in the ECU to 10' and play with the distributor. Tomorrow I'll play with it some more and take a video of it all. Next thing is to figure out how to set it all up properly; the distributor isn't sitting in the best place.

post-801-144023535336_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

No youtube vid as yet but for now I'm happy to have wheels and tyres (BIG thanks to Laurence "Lgee") who fixed me up with some Dunlop semi's and fitted them to the 16x8's so now I can at least wheel it out of the garage. Fixed a small water leak and a leaky oil pressure sender in the meantime. Still waiting for Ron (HybridZ member) to modify my fuel/ignition map to get it running better than it is so I can get the exhaust fitted!

post-801-144023536954_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hows it going now?  I love the BRE front spoiler!

Thanks for that.. It's crawling along for the moment... need to make a plate to match the headers where they end for the exhaust system. Went to a laser cutting place and got a quote for $140 to cut one out of 8mm plate. A place we supply hardware to can laser cut steel to 6mm so I'll ask them if they can do it for $0. You never know! After I get the exhaust hooked up, I can play with the ECU. Running an engine with straight out headers with infants in surrounding houses isn't a good idea. Youtube video will follow as all you will hear is distortion!

• Moderators

What happened to the Simmons wheels? Looking good on the EFI setup.

Gav, another member here bought all the wheels, suspension and brakes off me a while ago. When you see this zed, you'd swear it was mine! Same red etc..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well, another update.. got the engineering place to laser cut a flange for the extractors (made 3 of them for me :) ) for the measly cost of a slab of Wild Turkey and Coke! And booked in tomorrow for the hooking up of headers to rest of exhaust system. Also, got the engine fired up! with youtube video:

It's a bit of a b@#$rd when it's cold and even harder when you're holding a camera too. Starts and runs but really needs a good tune. Won't waste too much cash on this engine since the race motor will be going in later.

L28ET distributor works like a charm along with the Wolf ECU so I would recommend anyone going to EFI, to do this conversion too. I think MSD make a system so you can use carbs and get rid of your distributor as well.

• Moderators

Just finished playing with the ECU again, problem with the stalling was just a lean mixture on a cold start. This morning got the exhaust system connected so the garage windows won't rattle any more! The tacho needle used to bounce with the revving (and it isn't connected!!) Richened the mixture around idle and now it is heaps better. I'll whack on another video of it. Just need a notebook pc with a serial port and a friend to sit in the passenger seat to do some on road tuning.

Heres the video of it revving....just for you..

Awesome, I feel real special.

Sounds really rattly though. I went through and adjusted all my valve train clearance when I dropped my L24 back in as it was rattley too, sounds a bit better now.

Can't wait for a dyno vid ;D

Looks great Dimitri, I'm gonna have to pick a different shade of red, mate, when I paint mine just so it's a little different!! lucky my inlet trumpets are chrome, not blue. Have you ported out the redline manifold any? if so, how far can you safely go? any Ideas?

• Moderators

Thanks.. I would like to paint my zed it's original white eventually.. and install an airbox and change the trumpets to a better style. As for porting the manifold, it's just been matched and doweled to the head and that's about it. No need to go huge in the manifold although it has quite a bit of meat do to so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators

It's all going now; been driving it as much as I can with the club reg. Got an event at Calder in early March. Dynoed with a whopping 90 odd rear wheel killa watts. Itching for the replacement L24 to go in.. Heres a pic anyway..

post-801-144023559813_thumb.jpg

I'd love to see some more pics mate, close ups etc. And even a vid if you could be bothered.

yours is the efi hardware pro series kit isn't it?? whats the difference between it and the economy series?

cheers

You have it the other way around Dimitri has the economy series - I have the Pro - here is pic so you can see the difference - the trumpets is the obvious differences but mine are also a tapered bore setup ie 50mm at the trumpet, 48mm at the butterfly and 45mm at the mounting point. These also have o-rings to seal on the trumpet and the mounting face ie no gaskets required.

thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor8.jpg thumbs_dcoe-rb26-adaptor5.jpg