Help Needed - Auszcar Website Feedback

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hi Guys,
Update time.

Bad News
Site CPU usage did drop when the latest forum posts were removed. CPU usage went from 5% down to 1.29% ouch! I guess its a testiment as to how popular that little box really is.

Good News
If I can improve the efficiency of the website we won't need to upgrade hosting package. Keeping our hosting costs where they are.

Ok. Gav is porting over the site to a new CMS. That probably means that the current site as it stands is not likely to have an update ( from a functionality point of view ) as it would defeat the purpose of going to drupal. Database migration isnt a case of copy and paste and we are good to go.

So what we actually have here is a case of internet-must-be-done-now-or-I-riot-mofo-itis.

I say cheers,beers and buxom wenches for Gav.

lol, yep thanks for explaining in more detail. I've ported most of the front page content over. Although getting all images across properly and formatting changes is still being ironed out. I've not yet started on porting the forums that will come later on. Once I get the front page (sections) of the site sorted out the next step will be to migrate the photo gallery. This may mean that the gallery will be accessible but not uploadable for a while.

The final phase is to migrate the forum to the new content management system. This may cause some headaches for users if I'm not careful so will be the biggest change and challenge.

I'm hoping I can get the new content management system to "cache" the front page including the latest posts box. What is caching? Caching simply provides a snapshot of the page that can quickly be accessed. If certain pages are requested frequently on a server and often have the same output the system takes a snapshot of the page and uses that to display the page to users who request it. This is instead of sending a query to the database for the information and building the page using a server side script.

Think of it like the electronic distributor upgrade on your Z. The standard points dizzy is alright, but you really notice the electronic ignition because its more efficient and provides a higher spark. Caching is like the dizzy upgrade :). It will save CPU time and serve the pages much quicker to the user too.

The current work around - not the best
Bookmark this page if you find it useful.

*edit updated
http://www.viczcar.com/auszcar

#42 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Good work Gav

#43 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

your getting bored Scott...I can tell  :P

10 Green bottles sitting on the wall............... ;D

#44 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

Not ideal but its something.

http://www.viczcar.com/auszcar/

Shows latest forum posts on the homepage.

#45 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

Not having a job and sitting at home will do that :D
Nah but seriously, good work Gav

#46 Zednalong

Zednalong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hey Gav

I know its just me being an S30 lover, but I thought that you started the club to be for the 240Z/260Z owners specificly, because most clubs have a mixed jumble of cars. If you include the 280's, then it would be the 300's etc. I personally like the idea of the one look car club, I think that would catch on globally.

And thats just my 10 cents worth.

#47 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

Hey Gav

I know its just me being an S30 lover, but I thought that you started the club to be for the 240Z/260Z owners specificly, because most clubs have a mixed jumble of cars. If you include the 280's, then it would be the 300's etc. I personally like the idea of the one look car club, I think that would catch on globally.

And thats just my 10 cents worth.

Its just you Len :). Nah I understand your concern and Sulio and I discussed this right back at the beginning of starting the club. We feel the 280zx is welcome due to the fact that it shared alot of the same mechanicals. While this is primarily a website aimed at S30 owners we have a smaller group of S130 devotees who are also welcome.

A while ago I did propose the idea of making it an all Z club so S30, S130, Z31, Z32, Z33, Z34 but the concensus was no. So right now we are a S30 / S130 club and as far as I know everyone is happy with that.

#48 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

Ok Guys,
Please review www.viczcar.com/auszcar I managed to get it to pull board data on the homepage. I haven't figured a way to remove duplicates yet though.

If I replaced the front page tomorrow with the new design, would there be any outcries / problems?

#49 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

looks great Gav and it gives back the prized latest posts and threads...well done.
rev.

#50 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

DO it mate, do what ya gotta do, people will get over it.

#51 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:04 AM

Had to fix some layout issues in Internet Explorer 7. Does anyone have Internet Explorer 6? Can they provide some screenshots of the site so I can see if its broken in IE6? :)

#52 V8Datto

V8Datto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Ok Guys,
Please review www.viczcar.com/auszcar I managed to get it to pull board data on the homepage. I haven't figured a way to remove duplicates yet though.

If I replaced the front page tomorrow with the new design, would there be any outcries / problems?

Big thumbs up from me,

#53 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Looks great mate, love the rolling pics re featured cars, livens up the front page.

Sulio

#54 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Was I mistaken...

Didnt I see 240z 260z 280zx Club of Australia as the header the other day?

#55 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

Big thumbs up from me,

Good to know. I'm working on getting it ready to replace the current homepage. It was a bit broken in IE6, it should now work properly in this browser as some members still use this browser.

Looks great mate, love the rolling pics re featured cars, livens up the front page.

Sulio

Good to know I've reduced it from 10 latest rides to 3. So that should make it load quicker and keep it fresh.

Was I mistaken...

Didnt I see 240z 260z 280zx Club of Australia as the header the other day?

As far as I'm aware the front page still says this on the new site. Am I missing something or did I say something incorrect above?

Latest gallery images will be on the new homepage again soon. I just have to work out how to configure it. Also need to do some general maintenance and update the forum software and gallery software soon.

#56 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hey GaV, how long before we see the new front page as the 'face' of AusZcar?, when I go into the link it looks great, you've done an awesome job.
Rev.

#57 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hey GaV, how long before we see the new front page as the 'face' of AusZcar?, when I go into the link it looks great, you've done an awesome job.
Rev.

Hi mate,
Not too long I hope, currently in Malta for a few days will return to Dublin soon. I have a few things to iron out but generally speaking its almost ready. I'm anxious to replace it too.

Had a few issues still with CPU usage on the site. I have a feeling it caused by Russian spammers now, although will need to investigate. The server is saying alot of our bandwidth usage comes from Russia which is strange as I need no reason for Russian's to be really interested in the site. I'm actually considering blocking all Russian IP addresses from the site completely.

#58 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

The server is saying alot of our bandwidth usage comes from Russia which is strange as I need no reason for Russian's to be really interested in the site. I'm actually considering blocking all Russian IP addresses from the site completely.

Damn, that sucks and yet it makes a lot of sense. I really can't see any reason that a Russian would need access to this site. Not possible to identify individual IP addresses that use massive amounts of CPU and block them that way?

#59 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Do it Gav! if there were any legitimate members from that country they could email and find out why they are blocked, let's everything else proceed.
Rev.

#60 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

It AUSZCAR after all, not AUSRUSSIAZCAR.  I dont think it would be a big loss if any if we missed out on a member or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users