#21 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

To be honest I think your car, as fantastic as it is, appeals to a very very small market, but nonetheless a market. Owners should never view these cars as a financial investment, particularly modified cars. People buying Zeds are prodominantly Gen Ys with limited finance, or old farts like me trying to relive our youth. The older guys are either cashed up and want what they had, or dreamed of having, i.e an original 240Z, or, are skilled (stupid!) enough to buy something in need of restoration and/or suitable for modification - just for something to do. Either way it's an emotional purchase for them. The financial downturn even has these old blokes nervous about self-indulgent exercises.

I have friends who have spent years building Cobras or restoring imported Mustangs and they sell them, at a loss, within two years of completion because they much prefer building them than driving them. My V8 project owes my >$23k and it's still on the rotisserie! - but I love it. I know I will never recoup the cost but I don't care.

I don't know what it might cost you but I would suggest you try a Shannons auction with a reserve price. It will let you know the going market price. A Toyota powered V8 with GTO kit went for $36k a couple of years ago. To reiterate, don't dispare, there is a market but it's very small and I wish you the best.

PS. I have 16" rims and I'm in 'The Shire' if you are interested. Geoff knows me.

#22 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

Thanks all. I'll put it on my105 tonight and I'll check out the cost for the Shannons auctions. That's a good idea Peter. I guess I'm a little antsy to sell it before I change my mind and also because I want to get started with my clubman project.

Thanks for the offer for the rims. I'm going to try some other 15's for now and see if I can get away with it. Would love to check out your project some day if you don't mind a young punk coming over. :D

#23 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

Here is a South Australian publication which carries plenty of Clubman technical articles - https://customkitcarmagazine.com/. It was available at newsagents but now only by direct purchase. I have all the issues so you can check them out when you drop around.

You sound like a 'doer' and I fully understand your desire to move on and your interest in Clubmans. I'm even thinking of a GT40 and I've still got 3 years to go on this one!

#24 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Apparently a Hummer H2 has a better drag co-efficent! He builds his own streamlined body and it looks awesome..

thats awesome! i love your short recap of your experiance in a lotus 7, made me smile george, how r are ya if you're calling yourself a "young punk"? lol

u could try putting your zed up on a clubman site and seeing if some of them want to be sensible and swap? :D i think 40g is quite reasonable, but then i'm not a potential buyer!

#25 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

I have been quietly looking at Z's (240z's in particular) for a couple of months now.
Although I view the forums a lot -  I have not actually posted before, but believe as an outsider (not yet owning a Z), can probably provide some further insight into this particular area.

I have to agree with some of the comments made already. The market for a customised 240z is limited. 
Like someone mentioned, you have the old guys - who probably enjoying fixing and restoring more than they do driving (too much time on their hands!), then you have the young punks with no cash looking for the fastest way to wrap themselves around a pole.  Cheapest way to do that is in rubbish like an Evo/Galant or R32/R33 - which are available everywhere and offer great bang for buck.
Absolutely agree that they provide no style or class like a 240z, but never the less - cash strapped kiddies are buying them in droves (buggered if I know how they afford to insure them...that's another discussion tho).

I fall into another category - middle age (34), have some cash put aside, know what I want and have a missus telling me how much I can spend (great).  There are some awesome Z's out there - no doubt.  Catch is - customising a car is a very personal and individual thing.  Not everyone shares the same vision, so when you spend so much time, love and money on a car to reach your personal goal - not everyone appreciates the outcome in the same way.  I see great customized Z's out there for sale with some mod's I love.  However when I look at some of the cars as a "whole", often would be paying for mods I just do not need or in some cases, do not like.

Point being - the more you mod a car, the more you reduce your market to sell it.  The more you spend changing it, the more you will lose in money and market interest.  You gotta find the "right" buyer now - one that likes what you have done enough to pay the price you are asking -which will take time (and luck)..

PS - there was no hidden agenda in this opinion! I am looking for a Z, but a V8 240z is too crazy for me!  Awesome, but crazy. ; )

#26 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

Welcome to the forums Shan. No need to be 'quietly' looking now that you've come out of the closet. ;)

Fill in your location and go to your next local meet.

Thanks for your input.

#27 zed240au

zed240au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

have you tried a v8 z car shan you never know u might like it lol

mine sure puts big smile on my face everytime i drive it much easier to drive slow in a car with big hp than drive fast in a low hp car

but then i just love hp in anything and more the better

mick

#28 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Bump...

Video from this morning.

#29 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

George
have you considered removing the motor & gearbox & sell it without them ?
I love your zed to death but I would have thought low 30's could be achievable as is. Its definetely a 30-something car , just "maybe" not $40k
(just my personal opinion)
you could transplant the V8 into your future clubbie  ::)

#30 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have thought about it but to be honest it deserves that engine. It's well built and it would be a real shame to strip it and loose what it is. There's plenty of stock 240's. This one isn't and that's that.

The price certainly isn't firm. If someone is willing to come to the 30's it will be a party. If not I'll keep enjoying it. :)

#31 FLEXZED

FLEXZED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Tagline:Loui

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

you hoodlum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope you didnt do it in our area ?

Loui

#32 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:29 PM

No no. It was on private property.

#33 FLEXZED

FLEXZED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Tagline:Loui

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

yeah right
property owned by the state gov
hahahaha

#34 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

shouldn't sell it George :'( its a wicked car i even seen it on other forums people using it as their dream car.
i think was in one of the US forums. so it is a very cool and unique car. just enjoy it more. pihh clubman=motorbike with 4 wheels safety just as good. temporary australian.

one guy from adelaide raced clubmans and he bought himself a 240z recently for historic racing. so there are people going the other way...

but be patient the right buyer will come. maybe add neg or drop the price slightly to help the cause but i wouldn't.

#35 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Cheers for the kind words and advice. As much as I want to sell it to start my project I'm starting to think it will be a big mistake. One of my friends is also possibly getting a 240 this week which makes me want to keeeeeeep it.

#36 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

keep it ;)

#37 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Tagline:The one and only Mr240z

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

keep it ;)

Thats goes for me as-well, Or the Sydney boys will disown you..

#38 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Just do some extra overtime at work and keep the zed and save cash. You know that's going to happen!  ;)

#39 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:35 AM

Keep it George, that way I can forget about trying to work out some form of finance to buy it myself lol.

Plus you get to stay in our community which as you know is the best on the net ;). Besides who is going to send me donations on a regular basis to help keep the site up lol.

#40 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

If you go ahead with a clubman or Caterham etc, youll need to buy a tweed jacket and a matching gentlemans cap from david jones...... ::)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users