stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hey guys,

I'm quite happy with my new 240z carbys, but I have discovered that the needles and seats are slightly worn which is causing them to run rich under acceleration and waste petrol.

I am trying to source a new set of needles and seats and I am aware that Ztherapy sells them in the states but I was hoping to find them here in Australia.

Does anyone know where I could find them?

Cheers,

Steve

#2 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

Carb and Gas in Brisbane put me on to a company called Pro Gas, who apparently are Brisbane's only supplier of carburetor parts.

They apparently stock parts for 2 sets of Carbs.

Before Sep 1971 is the HT405 kit, which stocks needles, seats and gaskets for both front and rear carbs.
This kit is about $55.

After Sep 1971 is the Ht406 and HT407 kits, which stock needles and seats for front and rear carbs respectively.  These two kits are about $80 together.

I am wondering now if anyone knows how to identify the difference between the pre and post Sep 1971 round top SUs?

#3 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:57 PM

I called Carb and Gas looking for floats and they put me onto Pro Gas aswell. Pro Gas couldn't get the floats but gave me a nissan part number (16061-k1407) which turns out to be wrong. I ended up getting "loose" floats and upon researching looks like they are for 1600's and some 2000's. These are a float like the shape of a hockey puck and don't have the pin/lever mechanism that the standard su's use. 

I'm planning on making a thread about my carb issues (have a few questions) but I'll probably be selling these floats if anyone needs them. I'll put em in the classifieds and then on ebay.

#4 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,395 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:27 AM

Carb and Gas in Brisbane put me on to a company called Pro Gas, who apparently are Brisbane's only supplier of carburetor parts.

They apparently stock parts for 2 sets of Carbs.

Before Sep 1971 is the HT405 kit, which stocks needles, seats and gaskets for both front and rear carbs.
This kit is about $55.

After Sep 1971 is the Ht406 and HT407 kits, which stock needles and seats for front and rear carbs respectively.  These two kits are about $80 together.

I am wondering now if anyone knows how to identify the difference between the pre and post Sep 1971 round top SUs?

Not 100% sure but I have a feeling the 3 screw dome top carbs will be the earlier model and the later 4 screw dome tops the later.

The problem with stock L24 needles is that you probably have an L26 or L28 in your Z which needs slightly richer needles to compensate for the extra displacement.

Are you sure the Needles are worn and not just the seats? From memory the seats are rubber and have a pin hole in them which becomes worn and allows more fuel in. I'd be surprised if the needle is worn out though.

Thoughts opinions from others?

#5 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hmm that makes sense.

What if I purchased new seats and used the needles from my flat tops?

#6 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

That's my plan as you know. Apparently the flat top needles are good for a stock engine because they don't run as rich (su's generally run rich if you believe what you read on the interent :) )

Edit: Ahh I'm not taking into account the l24 to l26 to l28 thing. I'm running an l26 and so aren't you steve?

But like you mentioned, new needles might be good due to wear etc. I'm going to try the flat top needles first.

Anyone else know some facts rather than the speculation we are throwing around?

#7 68GTCS

68GTCS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Old mate working on my 71 240's hitachis this week to remedy this problem.  Don't understand his explanation but i'll report back when it comes back to me.  Finally fitting the elec ignition too which will make it almost impossible to tell what effect each change has... my front carb's plunger is currently worn badly - al oxide stone kind of worn!

#8 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hey mate, how's your car going now?

#9 68GTCS

68GTCS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hi, my stock L24 is brilliant!  It goes as described in original reviews if not better.  Didn't touch the carbs either - just balanced and adjusted.

ELECTRONIC IGNITION from the guy in the states reconditioned (looks like new) 280ZX gear is THE BEST THING I've ever done to a car.  The power comes on with heaps of tourque right from idle (now steady at 600 RPM) and pulls strong to 4k when there is a real surge that carries through to 6 which feels like max power but pulls to redline.

I assume the stronger and more timed spark was all it really needed.  Timed some 0-60mph times and got an average of 7.8 seconds... that is a second faster than Car & Driver's original review and miles better than prior to upgrade.  HIGHLY recommend this to all!!!

#10 nedloh312

nedloh312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Tagline:Dave

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

try this link for differences on SU's
http://www.zparts.co...differences.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users