240Z Seat Repair kits

acf321

I've decided to re-cover my original seats using some of the kits that are available on the net.

Has anybody bought these covers (from which supplier?) and what is the consensus regarding their fit and finish? Do they have that nice original snug fit, or are they loose? Does the vinyl have the exact match, that is very rough in the centre, and smoother on the outer parts?

What pitfalls do I need to look out for when buying these re-upholstery kits, and who supplies the best kits?

Rgds

I bought kits from the U.S and found them to be a good fit providing that you do something to 'plump' up your cushioning otherwise they will seem to be a little large.  I re'foamed' mine...in my members project journal somewhere! and then the covers fit well.  The texture of the vinyl matched well for my later model 77 260 as the grain was finer than the 240's or early 260's...you kinda need to search around but it is definitely doable.

Rev.

• Administrators

Hi mate,

I've not bought a kit from the US myself, you could go to a local person to have them done. I think Sulio (Toecutter) did this and got great results for his 260z 2 seater, not sure how close the pattern matched to original though.

Datsun changed the seats, material and stiching used over the years, early seats were criticized due to wear and tear issues and Nissan changed the pattern and material used as the years went on to higher quality material and stitching (although styling didn't improve in my opinion).

For that reason I'd say having OEM material might be nice, but I myself would be happy with a quality aftermarket kit provided it was high quality and close-to-original. The seat cushioning will more than likely have sagged over the years so seat skins will probably not be enough to properly restore them (actually the expense was the reason I went with aftermarket Recaro's in the end, but I still have the seats if I want to recover originals later).

Then again if your building your car for concourse you may have to go the extra step and go genuine Nissan.

• Administrators