what sort of box

Boltaction Billy

• Moderators

I put my money on it being 260Z box.

+1 but to make sure, if you can put it in first gear and find out the ratio, that will confirm what it is.. Apparently it was common practice for repairers to chop and change housings with internals from other boxes..

• Administrators

In Australia (this is important!).

If the oil filler was on the right hand side (drivers side) it was a 260z box.

If the oil filler was on the left hand side (passenger side) it was a 240K / 280zx box.

As stated above however some workshops may have changed parts around so the housing may not reflect the type of ratio being used.

Edit based on Zedman240's post below.

• Moderators

With the 260 - 280 boxe's, with the fill plug on the exhaust side, it was a 280, and if its on the drivers side, its a 260 box. You can tell on a zed if you have to fill the gearbox with oil and the exhaust system is in the way, you have a 280 one installed. That's one easy way to remember the differences between those two..

• Administrators

With the 260 - 280 boxe's, with the fill plug on the exhaust side, it was a 280, and if its on the drivers side, its a 260 box. You can tell on a zed if you have to fill the gearbox with oil and the exhaust system is in the way, you have a 280 one installed. That's one easy way to remember the differences between those two..

So based on that info, the box pictured above must be a 240K or 280zx box. (provided bits haven't been changed).

• Moderators

Just had a good look again and yeah, with the filler on the passenger side it must be! That's why if the first gear ratio can be determined, that's what will confirm what it is. If it's 3.2:1 that would be a 280 and if it's 2.9:1 260.

• 1 month later...

THAT box has a drive/driven ratio of 1.523, first is 3.5, second is 2.2, third is 1.9 fourth is 1.0, and fifth is 0.88

My guess is it's from a truck like a 720 rearwheel drive.

Possibly also from a 280 zx or a 260 with a 3.5 diff  ??

Filler plug def on LHS

I have three supposed 260 boxes that have the filler on the RHS, funny thing is they are not the desired "close ratio" 2.9 first gear ?????

Only way to be sure is to crack'em open and count the teeth, only takes a couple of minutes to do it!

It'll be used for spare parts.