Front and Rear Knob bumbers - keep or remove?

stewk240

I reckon they look good on your car!I run them on the rear but not on the front as I have a glass front bumper.Depends what you like maybe take them off and see what your car looks like without them,but Id leave them.

I believe they complete the line of the car. Look from the side and imagine a line running down the bonnet. Without them the line drops off the front edge of the bonnet. With them you get a more rounded appearance to the nose of the car. Its all up to personal preference. You'll get arguments both directions....but you already knew that

off looks great if you weld up the holes and get them rechromed, this is what I'm doing to my project car. You have to do good welds though otherwise you can get pitting in the chrome.

But if you're bumpers are straight and pretty (as yours look to be) they look good with the overriders as well. They actually complete the body lines of the car.

I think either looks great, so you can't go wrong, but I'd leave yours as is :)

I  prefer the front bar without them...its a more clinical look. Overiders are a typical 70's "american yank-tank" look. I believe they are more suited to cars like statemans, fairlanes, HZ premiers etc...limo style cars  ;D

Ive got them on my rear bar, and Im tempted to ditch them.

Agree on the over-riders ... they wer put there because of legislation regarding safety. At the end of the day, the 240 is designed to be a small and nimble sports car, so removal of these excess superfluous items just makes sense. Have a look at the 60's and early 70's Ferrari's and you'll see what the purer sporting car manufacturers did with them ....

My car will just have plain bars front and back.

Easy way to work out what you prefer is to do what I did.

Take a photo of the car with over-riders and without over-riders from the same position. Then flick between them quickly.

copyDSC_0583.jpg

copyDSC_0585.jpg

• Administrators

Easy way to work out what you prefer is to do what I did.

Take a photo of the car with over-riders and without over-riders from the same position. Then flick between them quickly.

copyDSC_0583.jpg

copyDSC_0585.jpg

Or use photoshop and delete them, which would be much quicker.

So did you keep the overriders? I actually prefer them on myself.

• Administrators

My car doesn't have them, but to be honest I kind of prefer them on, so I'm going to go against the consensus here and say keep them.

It may also protect the car from people reversing into it (I've had this happen twice) and they damaged the front bonnet.

On your car I like them on, because the car looks clean and the chrome looks good.

Or use photoshop and delete them, which would be much quicker.

So did you keep the overriders? I actually prefer them on myself.

Not for me it wasn't. Trying to reproduce the chrome/lighting is beyond me. Besides it was two bolts, much quicker then my photoshop skills.

I took them off, but for the last 6months the whole bumper has been off aswell (Hated it at first, but the bumperless rear end has really grown on me).

That was my original plan. But the over-riders are two pieces of metal folded and welded together. The seam is in the front under the rubber. Looks rather ugly, but if it was welded/smoothed and chromed, I think it would look quite nice.

Thanks for the great feedback guys!!!!  :D...I will take them off and see what the look it like in the flesh (seen many photo's).

The other reason I would like the front knobs taken off is so I can put a tow hook on in that spot as I have a front spoiler. If the car konks out (which I am sure it won't) or is in an accident and needs a tow truck, there is not much else to use without potentially ripping something off....I am sure it has happened to some.

Here is some pics of the tow hook I am looking at at www.zccjdm.com. Anywone bought these?

post-917-144023530524_thumb.jpg

post-917-144023530528_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...