Rigid brake lines

Hi guys,

I managed to mutilate both rigid brake lines when removing the old master cylinder. (couldn't get them undone, had to cut the lines)

Does anyone have some spares?

Failing that, how do you think is the best way to get some made up? the old ones are no good examples, i'd need to bent some coat hanger wire into the shape to bring down i think... will this make the brake shop guys laugh at me? hahaha

...i'd need to bent some coat hanger wire into the shape...

Been there done that with success for a mini.  I used lengths of fencing wire.  Take either the old fittings or the actual components to make sure they fit the right threads and fittings.  Try to find a larger brake and clutch supply workshop rather than your run-of-the-mill suburban brake shop.

I got some done at BGT Brakes who used to be in Hawthorn but are now only in Dandenong.

I took down the shape I needed and they made them up for me.  I was buying a few other things at the time and from memory I don't even think they charged me for them.

where are you located    ???  i got a awesome brake and clutch guy wand all new hard lines and hoses for me

I really need to update my status, I'm in the South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne. I think I'll try and bend some wire and take it down to my local Brakes Plus (Moorabbin) with the fittings - even though they are a chain and probably charge more, I've had them made some flexible lines up, and the guys are nice.

I really need to update my status, I'm in the South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne. I think I'll try and bend some wire and take it down to my local Brakes Plus (Moorabbin) with the fittings - even though they are a chain and probably charge more, I've had them made some flexible lines up, and the guys are nice.

right well he is in hallam...

If anyone else has this problem, I used multi grips and got them on real tight.  It worked but the nuts are a bit shagged so i have to use them every time, but hey it works for now lol.

a better way to do it, but requires an assistant.

Get a very snug fitting spanner, maake sure its a flare nut spanner.

get your assistant to hold the spanner with pressure on it to undo the nut.

ideally they need to hold enough pressure to just be at the point of rounding the head.

Now, get a pin punch, place it on the head of the nut, and give it a good wack with a hammer.

the shock of it will jar the thread loose and the assistant will suddenly go flying as the nut comes loose.

remember to warn them that its going to happen, otherwise they may hurt themselves, or your car.

• Moderators

Better Brakes in Cheltenham always makes my braided lines or reco's my brake components. They are near DFO next to Moorabbin airport off Grange Rd..

I always use vise grips first if the nut is too tight to undo with a flare spanner...

I have never even heard of a flare spanner, let alone own one.  Whats the difference?

They have 5 out of the 6 sides of the nut, so provide a very positive drive, while still being able to go over the brake line.

FS1011.JPG

a better way to do it, but requires an assistant.

Get a very snug fitting spanner, maake sure its a flare nut spanner.

get your assistant to hold the spanner with pressure on it to undo the nut.

ideally they need to hold enough pressure to just be at the point of rounding the head.

Now, get a pin punch, place it on the head of the nut, and give it a good wack with a hammer.

the shock of it will jar the thread loose and the assistant will suddenly go flying as the nut comes loose.

remember to warn them that its going to happen, otherwise they may hurt themselves, or your car.

This is a great trick, which I have used many times with great success.  Actually did it one day for a mate on an auto cooler line (15/16 spanner!).  No amount of muscle would shift the damn thing, so got him to put some load on, put the punch in place and gave it a (very small) warmup tap as I was working out where I could swing the hammer back.  He just about fell over backwards onto the ground, that tiny little tap it got was enough to crack it!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I did use a flare spanner and vice grips with no avail... i didn't try the punch though, i definately will next time, to avoid all this hassle

I made up some wire models and took them to Brakes Plus, came back an hour later and they had two perfectly straight brake lines, as someone had 'borrowed' their bending tool and never returned it......(wtf?)

Then he told me I could bend them myself, and that i owed him $48......?? Hahaha

He said he could bend them when he got the tool back but he wasn't sure when that would be...

Anyway, I really wanted to get them on this evening, so I gave him $40 for them which was massively overpriced for four fittings and two straight lengths of hose... ah well... c'est la vie...

At least they're on now...i've been putting it off for a while, so i'm glad of that, and they weren't too difficult to bend (not very pretty though) - but not exactly a recommended supplier.