So What Are S30's Worth?

VertexZ

Just after looking at the couple of cars listed by Gav on Carpoint...looking at all of the Zed's listed on there, prices seem to be $5,000-$20,000

Anyone know if they are actually selling at these prices? Or are people dreaming?

When I bought my 260z in Jan 2001, I pretty much found the following:

** 260z 2+2 5sp in good, clean, reasonably stock cond - $5000-6000

** a/above but auto - $3000-4000

And 260z coupes were asking about $1000 more, although they didnt come up all that often (I didnt want one anyway)

Anything with a bit of visible rust (ie in the sills) - $2000-3000 seemed to be the going rate

parts cars were around $1000 (mostly 2+2 autos)

So is that shimck 260Z 2+2 auto now worth $8,000?

Whats the lowdown - who's bought recently or sold recently that can get some realistic figures?

(I just wanna know if im sitting on more cash than i think!)

• Administrators

I think prices have definately risen and the older they get the more they will be worth. I think the 2 seaters will always be worth more simply because they are more desirable by most but the 2+2's have been comanding more and more money.

Some have been pricing too high but seem to be willing to wait for the money they want.

About 5 years ago you could pick up an early Zed without too much trouble although the 240z has always been a bit harder to get. Recently alot have been hanging onto or asking more and I believe it will continue this way and wouldn't be suprised if early 240z's reach 30K within the next 5 years for an immaculate piece. :D

which would make you pretty happy :)

certainly the 2+2 autos are down the bottom...and theres good reason a paid extra for a manual...

now that I think about it, I did see a guy at a servo prob 12 months ago who paid about $7k for a pretty reasonable 2+2...15" globes, front air dam, 2.6l 5sp...looked good but not super...

You see all the parts cars going for sale, plus all the ones which have been wrecked over the years...there cant be too many going around anymore, I once read that there were only 4000 260's imported into Aust...of which 3/4 were autos, but that sounds too low...

• Administrators

I'm a true believer in paying a little bit extra for a car if it's in exceptional condition. You save yourself alot of headaches and alot of money down the track.

So well looked after examples are worth spending extra on. You can still find parts cars relatively cheap simply because nobody wants them for anything but parts.

I think when they reach $30,000 they will sit there for a while. I have heard of alot of people spending $20k+ on restoring a 240z and alot of the time they are not what I would call perfect examples even still.

Certainly in the states some of the finest early cars have been on ebay for $18-$35k recently and as more people recognise what a true classic the S30 is the more people will desire them.

In Japan some of the performance models such as the 432 and 432R and 240zg's change hands for much more than that. I've seen the price in Yen on a genuine ZG and it translates to $35K AUD and it wasn't that flash.

One of the members on Classiczcars.com is keeping a record of all the VIN numbers that have been submitted to him of Z's in Australia forget his username right now but it will come to me and ill post it later.

For now you can submit information to Craig's www.wazcars.com

I should note I'm by no means an expert on any of this stuff and those who wish to provide objections or other opinions please by all means chime in here. :D

I paid $2000 for mine at the end of last year, 260z 2 seater auto, some quite bad dents, not a heap of rust (comparatively speaking), came with complete rear panel, L28E with all the gear to get it running, and a 280zx 5 speed gearbox. Definitely a project car, but still....

i paid 2.5k for a project car that is virtually accident free, few bumps dings, striped but all parts, matching engine, rust free for a 74 last year,

the people wanting 10k for a 2+2 is something that i wouldn't pay personally, but ive seen alot of 2+2 that have been restored and people spending 20k on them, and trying to get some the money back, but i wouldn't buy a 2+2 anyway, so my opinion has no relavance

Right now as my financial situation in't fantastic, still at school etc, but if i was earning say 80k a year, and was looking for that fun car i had in my old young days, and there was a restored 2 seater for 15-25k i would pay that amount these days, as i know the value of the car and i know quality from hacked up and boged up cars...

The main thing keeping the Cars sale price lower, is because around 5 years ago they were sellng for only 2-7k and they were in reasonable condition, and the older generation that might be selling the car, is still thinking year 7k is a good enough, while really they could asked 10k and most likely get it, its hard to price Zs as there arn't many up for sale anymore, and a shit one could sell for 8k and a fantastic one could sell for 8k, its going to take another 5 or so years for the market to realise the really shit ones in need of restore and the restored ones,

All in all, they are slowly going up, and think about it this way, buy a new commodore loose like 5k driving out of the dealer then another 10k over 2 years, buy a Z, loose nothing and have more fun,

It's is an interesting question and since the latest Unique Cars magazine has come out with their values on Japanese cars which I think I read are verified sales through the states registration branches and via Shannons insurance for these cars some discussion that it is a Zed starved market and even rusty ones (240Z's) are bringing $4K. 260Z's $10K to $11.5K and Autos 10%-15% less. Most 2+2's in good mechanical condition and needing a bit of paint and trim work about $6.5K and good ones sell regularly around $8K. Outstanding 240Z's sell around $20K.

240Z 1970-1974 $3600 $9500 $14000

260Z 1974-1977 $2700 $7800 $11500

260Z 2+2 -1978 $2400 $6500 $10000

So there you have it right from the horses mouth :roll:

Regards

lynton

They say a genuine Concourse condition that is "outstanding" can cost 50% more than condition one.

The prices are:- Condition 3, 2, 1

3. being pretty average and neglected.

2. being pretty good that is no serious rust or large areas of body filler, chrome generally good but dull and possibly scratched, interior broken stiching and wear and possibly needing cleaning including good carpets and head lining, engine should be of original type only no fluid leaks and general cleaning required, no serious under body damage, minor oil leaks, suspension and ball joints in RWC, wheels and tyres legal.

1. Probably what I call concourse condition but possibly a daily driver like a totally refreshed car but not totally restored vehicle for concourse showing and prize winning.

Lynton :wink:

I have read with interest the discussion om 240z/260z prices and feel I must comment. Sixteen years I purchased a 240z with very tired machanicals but good body and had it stripped etc repainted, motor reco'd., etc, etc.. came to about $5000 and with the purchase price of $2500 owed about $7500. Since then 90% of its use has been for driving pleasure only and the thing has given 16 yrs of totally trouble free use and enormous pleasure. I'm not sure what it's worth if a tyre kicker was to appraise it, all I can say it's not for sale and won't be.

Ahh! 240JRW you live near my territory and I don't think I have seen your 240Z around unless it is orange? or maybe a crimson red? especially since you and it are a daily driver!

Surely you don't leave it to the elements and tradies on a building site?

I am glad you are a man of my own thinking 16 years of enjoyable driving and it just keeps on getting better any price is just not good enough and anyway what would you ever replace it with that will still hold the antique charm, looks handling and performance.

Nothing has truly emulated the spirit of an S30!!!

And mine is not for sale either, same reasons I guess :P

Lynton

G'day Lynton, Thanks for the post- my car is red, looks to me the same as the one on the VicZCar home page. It's a 71 with the vents on the rear hatch. No it aint my daily driver, I have (should I mention this here) 3 fords. Occasionally you will see my Z on the building site but only on days when it's not going to get a brick drop on it. Your right there's not too many around these days and you seem to remember the few you see. If you see mine around say hello.. 240 jrw :

Well - having just joined this forum (yes I know I am a kiwi - but if it counts for anything I did live in Melbourne from 2000-2003, during which time I missed by motorbike and zed back in NZ) anyway here is some info on the prices here across the ditch.

A mint 71 240z (this is the rare red/orange with bone int) was for sale recently asking price $20K (yes that is NZ funny money)- don't think it sold. A 260z 2+2 was on our ebay (trademe.co.nz) with no reserve starting bid $5000 and noone put a bid in (and it looked mint) however I think it was a fairlady Z ie L20E injected.

A 260z 2+2 with factory G-Nose (fitted as an option) asking price $7000 - no takers (however I am talking to the owner about the G-Nose - he does not like it that much - so I am going to see if we can work a deal - he want mags like the one I have and I want the G-Nose)

A 240z race car with over $60K spent was advertised for $14K on trademe.co.nz for 1 hour before it got pulled (so I assume someone picked this up - a good deal I know the car and it had everything, coilovers, lexan glass, full cage, 3.0l motor, CR gearbox)

There is a 260z 2 seater for sale in the local rag here in Auckland (has been for months now) states solid car no reg or wof (reg = registration, wof = warrent of fitness aka a road worthy which we have to do ever 6 months here in NZ) interior needs to be restored (ie it's poked) asking $10k

Zed in Japan go for between $15K AUD to $30K AUD and mint ZG go for $50K and if you want a 432 then think about $80-100K or more