25 replies to this topic

#21 Jospef

Jospef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

I just made some inquiries as I was interested in a set myself. NRMA won't insure your car if it doesn't meet RTA specification (i.e if RTA won't pass your car for rego). So I called the RTA and they said wheel spacers were illegal. Keep in mind this is NSW we're talking about, might be different in other states.

#22 hunterzed

hunterzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:01 AM

If you have an accident and the accident investigation guys or the insurance company prove that you have illegal modification that have contributed to the accident (and this is easier to prove than disprove) then you can be held criminally liable for the consequences of the accident which could include Manslaughter or even murder if you had previous knowledge that the modifications were illegal and did not rectify the problem. If you want to risk this then it is entirely up to you. You have to weigh up if the possiblity of going to jail against the look of your car.

#23 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:27 AM

I had them on my car some years ago. I would'nt use them again. Don't skimp on wheels get a set that fit properly.

Sulio

#24 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

I have to say I've never been a fan of spacers at all. I've also heard they aren't legal in Victoria so as Sulio says, get custom made wheels that fit properly.

#25 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Tagline:Ken & Mary suggest carbon

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

I once had spacers engineer-approved in NSW, not sure if you can do that now. There are some dodgy spacers out there, but if they're made from the appropriate grade of alloy (preferably forged 6160) and have high tensile studs properly fitted, then they are not dangerous. I've had a set on the back of my drift car for years. Admittedly it isn't registered, but there have no problems with these. I have also seen hundreds of them on modified cars in Japan and nobody ever mentioned a problem with them. Unfortunately this is one more modification that has picked up a bad rep due to a few dodgy examples. All of that said, just buy my wheels instead  ;D

#26 hunterzed

hunterzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:00 AM

Weather they work or not isn't in question from myself at least. Just the legalities and what it can mean if something happens. I've also seen them used on off road racing cars where vehicle abuse is a standard thing. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users