SE Melbourne - another 260Z 2+2

Hi folks,

Just bought my 1975 260Z 2+2 GRS auto yesterday. It was the red one some of you may have seen on Ebay. Looking forward to dusting off my rust removal skills, replacing the head gasket on that motor (or will it be a L28 + 5 speed conversion?? hmmmmm) and enjoying my first Australian Zed.

If anyone needs an extra set of hands to work on their car in SE Melb let me know ... happy to help, watch and learn (not a complete novice but not a mechanic either).

Cheers, Ross

hi ross , before you start ripping into this car, check the whole car out thoroughly starting from the front to the back to determine exactely what is required in order to get it roadworthy and registered, jack it up, and plonk it as high as you can on 4 stands and rip off the wheels and clamber inside it underneath it and over the top of it , whilst keeping a written list of items that require attention, it appears to require a lot of restoration work and it may not be a viable exercise, i could be wrong, but if you pull it all apart or start working on it before you know exactely whats to be done to it , you may end up with a car in pieces or having allready spent a lot off money on it that you may not see in return, i hope this helps your plan of attack. cheers dazza

Yes I was thinking the same then read what Dazza has written. He is spot on. Check the cars sound first as there are some cheap Zeds going around, road worthy etc.

Welcome and good luck Ross.

Thanks for the advice and warnings guys ... I have done a Z car previously (a 280ZX ground up rebuild that I should never have started, and a couple of previous restos, 1974 Capri, XB-GT coupe, Alfa GTV) so I will be doing a full reccy when I collect the car. If the worst comes to the worst I will part it out, but I hope it won't come to that ...

It isn't as bad as it appears (the rails and floorpan are sound, the body has rust but hasn't been previously repaired, so you can see everything, and the interior is also pretty good). The price was right too, which helps!! Hopefully selling my TA22 project car will free up some more $$ to invest in this one.

I am over in Ferntree Gully, so after I pick it up (Sat) if anyone wants to drop around and open a beer while we consider what a terrible mistake I've made ... I'm keen.

Cheers, Ross