• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

I humbly agree that all enthusiasts are supported on the forum and it is good to see some spirited discussion which helps us all become educated at the same time!

Doudous has also intentionally/unintentionally promoted the S30 brand to present itself as an exotic collectable as they  should be, he has helped increase price expectation and moved the car up another run on the ladder in collectability and interest which none of us could have ever achieved.
His for sale car presentation puts a whole new interest back into Zeds especially as an alternative classic purchase, the car below is a fine example.........Lynton 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com....:0|293:1|294:50

#42 doudous

doudous

Phil Lee from Edward Lees

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tagline:Free Haircuts Since the 1970s.

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

The 71 Orange Zed is always in lane Cove and gets used at least 2 or 3 times a week...  Call me if you want to go for a cruise and a coffee!

#43 datsun-jay

datsun-jay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

I dont think the guy intentionally set out to deceive anyone, He should have left out the NSW bit thats all  ;D.

And judging by some of the pics earlier on in the post he has access to some really nice Z's.  or are they Fairlady's?

Ive often looked through online auction sites and never seem to come across Z's? Im I looking in the wrong place?

Rocky Auto is the only place ive seen with nice Z's for sale in Japan.

#44 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

I dont think the guy intentionally set out to deceive anyone, He should have left out the NSW bit thats all  ;D.

And judging by some of the pics earlier on in the post he has access to some really nice Z's.  or are they Fairlady's?

Ive often looked through online auction sites and never seem to come across Z's? Im I looking in the wrong place?

Rocky Auto is the only place ive seen with nice Z's for sale in Japan.

Not looking at the right places - yesterday I found 40 S30/S31 for sale in Japan (and not in Auctions)

#45 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com....:0|293:1|294:50

Great looking car but it still is not a Datsun 260z 2+2. I say this as it is in fact a JDM car which was never badged as a Datsun or a 260z. Just a Fairlady Z. Don't mean to be picky but they are different cars.

260z 2+2 = GRS30
Fairlady Z 2+2 like the one shown is a GS31

These different chassis codes are their to ID the differences between the models = it is not a Datsun 260z 2+2 period. Much like my 260z RS30 is not a 240z HS30 or a Z432 PS30. It would be bit like trying to call a Mustang that was originally build/sold as a 6 cylinder and pass it off as a Shelby Mustang after a dress up was done and a V8 installed. Different cars - always will be. Nice none the less.

I guess I am funny bugger like that - I like to ensure people understand what they are looking at etc.

The silver Fairlady Z in this auction is a very good example of such a car - and you don't see many in that condition so that is an excellent find. This car also looks to be a Fairlady ZL you can tell as it has electric windows.

EDIT: Some very nice looking cars that he has for sale and some very good finds from the look.

#46 datsun-jay

datsun-jay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

Thats a spotless car, not a fan of the wheels tho......Yeah im aware of the different models in Japan thanks to HS30-H  ;D........

Am I right in saying that a Datsun 260 2+2 would be worth more than a GS31?  Or in other words would a Z be worth more than a Fairlady?

Take the likes of Rocky Auto,  are their cars HS30? OR 31'S?

#47 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

Yeah im aware of the different models in Japan thanks to HS30-H 

Well you obviously haven't been paying quite as much attention as you thought you were, otherwise you wouldn't ask questions like these:

Or in other words would a Z be worth more than a Fairlady?

Take the likes of Rocky Auto,  are their cars HS30? OR 31'S?

You are getting your Zs mixed up with your Fairladies, when in actual fact ( for the S30/S31, S130, Z31, Z32, Z33 & Z34 series ) those Fairladies are all Zs. Why would you think that any S30-series onward Fairladies are not Zs?

Rocky Auto - or anybody else in Japan - could be selling S30s, HS30s, PS30s, GS30s, S31s, GS31s etc etc etc ( even re-imported HLS30s, HS30s and the odd RS30 can pop up for sale in Japan ). Each car has to be viewed on a case-by-case basis, and it is very important to know the identity of the base of any converted / modified old car as it will have an effect on the cost as well as the value ( they are not always equal ). Take Mr doudous' red car in the video for example; It has quite obviously had the early type tail lamp conversion, and that might fool a lot of people into thinking it is a "240Z" rather than a later model.

And people have been known to buy an S31 when they thought they were buying a "240Z", haven't they?  ;)

#48 datsun-jay

datsun-jay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:19 AM

Ha dont go there again, Well put it down to he was miss informed by the seller  ;D

ok do me a favour...... list all Z's,  and then list all Fairlady's.

I thought an S31 was a fairlady  ???

#49 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

Ha dont go there again, Well put it down to he was miss informed by the seller  ;D

ok do me a favour...... list all Z's,  and then list all Fairlady's.

I thought an S31 was a fairlady  ???

S31 is a Fairlady Z not just a Fairlady the Fairlady was sold in other markets as the Datsun roadster, Datsun 1500, Datsun 1600, Datsun 2000 (not to be confused with the Datsun 1600 which is a 510 lol - confused you so will be  :)) you know the little sports car with no roof - those are Fairladies but the S30, S31, HS30, HS30-H, PS30, S130, HS130,.....the list goes on up the model range were all badged in Japan as Fairlady Z (well there was the odd exception ie the 240z sold in Japan ie HS30 was marketed as a Fairlady 240z) again this can be confusing for some - hell I have responsible understanding and I get confused.

Here in NZ we have lots of imported cars from Japan = lots of JDM models. This is good thing, but that also has issue. You see there is the odd imported HLS30 280z (not to be confused with the HLS30 240z ;D)  so these are 280z are they not but then we have the HS130 imported from Japan (along with the NZ new version too). Now the HS130 or GHS130 in Japan were badged as Fairlady 280z (not a 280zx like the rest of the world) so people call them a 280z for short - so when to talk to some people they say I have 280z to have to get more info to confirm what they are talking about - they get confused when the read US based forums and the like and see you can swap these suspension bit with that between 240z/260z/280z which in true and then not true depending on the term 280z and who/how it is applied.

Anyway to help with the list of cars - this is not the complete list but it might help - and to add to the confusion some of the number are internal codes given to the model not the actual chassis ID

Fairlady Roadster = SPL212
Fairlady Roadster = SPL213
Fairlady Roadster = SP310/SPL310
Fairlady Roadster = SP311/SPL311
Fairlady Roadster = SR311/SRL311

Now into the S30 range
Fairlady Z = S30S
Fairlady Z-L = S30
Fairlady Z432 = PS30
Fairlady Z432-R = PS30SB
Datsun 240z = HS30/HLS30 (export model)
Fairlady 240Z = HS30S
Fairlady 240Z = HS30
Fairlady 240ZG = HS30H (Alan has one of these - a real one)
Datsun 260Z = RS30/RLS30 (export model)
Fairlady Z 2+2 = GS30S
Datsun 260Z 2+2 = GRS30/GRLS30 (export model)
Datsun 280Z = HLS30 (export model only LHD that I know of)
Datsun 280Z 2+2 = GHLS30 (export model only LHD that I know of)

Fairlady Z = A-S30S (new body ie same as you would know as the Datsun 260z early shell)
Fairlady Z-L = A-S30 (I am not 100% what the difference between the and S31 shell is - maybe Alan knows)
Fairlady Z 2+2 = A-GS30S
Fairlady Z-L 2+2 = A-GS30
Fairlady Z = C-S31S
Fairlady Z-L = C-S31
Fairlady Z-T = C-S31J
Fairlady Z 2+2= C-GS31S
Fairlady Z-L 2+2 = C-GS31
Fairlady Z-T 2+2 = C-GS31J

You want me to go into the S130 range - that is going to take much longer due to 2000cc, 2800cc targa top etc all the different version of trim blah blah.

As you can see above the JDM got a lot more options/models on the S30 range than the rest of us. The 240z list does not go into the differences between its export markets ie Australian spec vs Euro spec vs US spec and then the odd ball like NZ which did not get a AU spec or EU spec but something different again ;) I see many differences is the export models along and they are basic before you start looking into the JDM which is a lot more complex.

As you can see there are different levels of the Fairlady Z and their price, when new, were different so therefore the resale should also reflect the difference is the model range. Here in NZ JDM Fairlady Z (s30 range here) normally sell for less coin my like the RS30 (260z seater) as most see the Datsun 240z as the model to own. So people try to increase the valve of their S30 or S31 (reads Fairlady Z) but changing badging etc to make them look like the more priced Datsun 240z. If you don't care about all this cool have a Z that looks like 240z and if you are happy who gives a flying .......(insert choice word of your liking) that is why I have RS30 - I like the fact it is the revised body shell with stronger strut towers, longer chassis rails....the list goes on. If I want an 240z I would have kept the ones I have owned HS30-00016 (yes a very early girl indeed) as that one restored would be worth the most to a collector after the earliest one they could find.

Anyway I hope this info might be of use and if any of this is incorrect I am ready to be corrected so I don't put incorrect information out there - nothing worse than incorrect facts as this just makes matter worse does it not?

Cheers
Mike

EDIT: I have put in bold those models exported ie what you know as a 240z/260z or 280z (US model S30)

#50 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,634 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Nzeder, although it almost seems like we should start a new forum thread on this.
I tried to put together that blog post about chassis numbers but even that is still not complete and doesn't cover all the Japanese models.

I agree the different levels of trim for the S30 in the JDM market means that certain cars were worth more new than others and as a result hold different values in the collector car market today.

I for 1 am going to buy some books:
http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/1901295028

Although I understand Brian Long's book still has some errors.

#51 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

ok just looked over one of my Japanese Fairlady Z books - and I now see C-S31 listed - and I recall seeing this in another Japanese book (Nissan published) so again looks like another internal code for a trim level etc on the S31 range - I think it might be the code for the S31 listed above aka Fairlady Z-L

Ok checking another Japanese book - I see the 1S30 listed above should be shown as A-S30 so I will update the above

#52 S30Mike

S30Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

haha, its amazing there so many different "models" while some are actually a different model, some are just certain options, or mechanic differences such as fuel injection.

Its actually pretty interesting when you go into it..

NZeder thats an impressive list.

#53 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

Anyone know what a Australian 240z would fetch on the Japanese market?

#54 S30Mike

S30Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

that would be interesting.. there the same car essentially but, just minus the fairlady badges. they chop and change the engines and what not around all the time in japan anyway so there not really after originals.

#55 doudous

doudous

Phil Lee from Edward Lees

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tagline:Free Haircuts Since the 1970s.

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

In the 90's when the Japanese economy was booming Japanese dealers used to come to Australia buying Zeds. I had a Jap dealer come to inspect my Tan 1971 240Z .... He rejected it because of the aftermarket vinyl sunroof  and that it had been changed from an auto - He had bought 5 Zeds on his trip!

Also in Japan there are many LHD Zeds that were re- imported back to Japan from the US in that same boom time!

#56 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

I remember Rob at the Z Factory restoring a number of Zeds and sending them back to Japan; back then in the late nineties they use to fetch around $30-35,000. But if you saw the level of restoration, it was worth every cent. They used to go back with just standard steel wheels off anything that would fit and L24's with the Hitatchi carbs. He has some pics I should post if I can..

#57 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

My brother used to work for a local resto shop here in NZ that was owned by a Japanese guy, his son was the manager here while he lived in Japan. They use to restore MK2 Jags - put EFI and AC in them (all hidden) used the SU's as the TB's for the EFI. They also send back a few early Toyota's, Mini's and American muscle.

At one point when I was selling HS30-00016 a Japanese guy came to look at it he was going to take it back to Japan to turn into a drag car - but I said no HS30-00016 should not become a hot rod. So I sold it to an Australian who took it back to NSW 12 months after I sold it.

#58 S30Mike

S30Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

My brother used to work for a local resto shop here in NZ that was owned by a Japanese guy, his son was the manager here while he lived in Japan. They use to restore MK2 Jags - put EFI and AC in them (all hidden) used the SU's as the TB's for the EFI. They also send back a few early Toyota's, Mini's and American muscle.

At one point when I was selling HS30-00016 a Japanese guy came to look at it he was going to take it back to Japan to turn into a drag car - but I said no HS30-00016 should not become a hot rod. So I sold it to an Australian who took it back to NSW 12 months after I sold it.

good man saying no to drag car conversion. We need to conserve whats left!

#59 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

I know we should keep what zeds are left in oz but if you were offered an extra 5-10k for your car it would be hard to pass up.

#60 bluerat

bluerat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Gee's NZ'er what do you think of HS30-00030 being a gravel rally car??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users